1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Met Mr. Robert Reid

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tim562, Feb 16, 2016.

1. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

Got to Meet Mr. Robert Reid!!! He's a super nice guy

[​IMG]

He spoke about Harden trying to still play like the MVP, but doesn't realize that Role Players are also key to winning Championships.

Said someone needs to sit down with Dwight Howard and have a serious talk with him. Obviously he's not happy, Management is not happy but there has to be a meet in the middle....

Said he told Ralph Sampson the next time he brought the ball down on a rebound or when he tried to bring the ball up court that he would kick his ass because he's tired of coaching getting mad at him for not running the play....

Said a role player needs to step up and take leadership of the team. When they play like crap, someone needs to just let the team have it.

2 people like this.
  2. p10maggs

p10maggs Member

He's a great guy. My older brother was best friends with his son Bobby growing up. Lived around the corner from us in sugar Land. Cool stuff

3. Know Your Role

Reid was outstanding, awesome you got to meet him. I personally believe the Rockets should honor that squad this year, we didn't get lucky in the playoffs. That team was a buzzsaw. The current Rockets should watch them, maybe learn what it's like to run and gun.

4. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I'll never forget his jump shot. It was a thing of beauty when it was working.

5. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

If it were not for his corner 3 with 20 ticks left Sampson's shot would not have happened.

6. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Class act on and off the court. What a fantastic Rocket, with good understanding of the game too. Never forget, the guy really tended to show up when it counted!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/gvZZl4u-y08" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

(LOL @ us taking a team with the Whopper to the finals. SMDH.)

#6 B-Bob, Feb 16, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
  7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

One of my heroes. After all these years it still blows my mind that he played point for us during the '86 playoffs and did a damn fine job. Bobby Jo Reid, in my humble opinion, defines "great role player." You're lucky, OP. I've never met him.

8. Rocket4Life11

Rocket4Life11 Contributing Member

Very cool!

It's good to hear that he still keeps up with the Rockets.

Thanks for sharing.

9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

That sounds like a really cool conversation you had with him, tim562. Kudos for keeping him engaged and asking awesome questions.

Robert Reid was a big reason we were able to slow down Magic's Show Time Lakers. We had him front Magic off of every Houston FGM and miss to disrupt their ability to get Magic the ball at the FT/key area to start the break. Sounds easy enough, but you have to be tall to do that. At 6'8 with PG skills, Reid was one of the few who could keep the ball out of Magic's hands to start the Lakers vaunted fastbreak.

10. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

11. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Too bad you're not wearing your clutch community T-shirt when your meeting all these Rocket legends. ;)

12. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

That's awesome, repped for including the pic.

I got to meet him several times when I was a kid and he would volunteer with the company (charity) my Dad worked for. He was always very active in the community during his playing days. And always willing to shake hands and take pictures with everyone - including me.

I have a buddy who met him at the Renaissance Festival just this year and said he couldn't have been nicer. Good to know he hasn't changed.

13. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

I think that is huge reason we beat the Lakers. Bobby Joe could play D and had the height to guard magic and take away his ability to post up smaller guards. Even Lloyd was 6-6. I think him taking the point over from Lucas was key in us beating the Lakers that year.

14. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Dude hasn't aged much

15. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

Used to be a rumor he became a cop and then went back to nba ? Yea those were good times

16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I think he quit basketball to be a minister. Then he came back.

Reid was the consummate role player. He'd do anything the team asked him to do. Great guy.

17. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

18. Ubigman

Ubigman Member

i was thinking about something else

19. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

There goes ima, killing my idols again.

[​IMG]

j/k

20. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Very cool. My mom had such a crush on him back in his heyday.