1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Houston has started contacting teams about trading Dwight Howard

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Amel, Feb 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

contract, contract, contract...

2. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

If he's the piece that puts you in contention and you can lock him up for 20 mill/yr he's worth it. Forget IT - clearly that's not in Boston's interest. But if they gave up Smart, are they that much worse? If you swap Smart and Johnson for Howard, that's a team that can contend for the ECF.

3. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Maybe if they dangle TJ Warren or PJ Tucker?

4. malakas

malakas Member

They will go for it at PF not C. To trade for Dwight they must gut their team and trade Caroll.

No. But a 4 year max yes. 10 mil? LMAO you are kidding right?

IT is a defenseless chucker who only due to Boston bias became an all star and who often goes away from Stevens system
    Bradley has stopped developing has no handles and absolutely no vision
    and if Smart is the pg of your future then I pity your future. Horrible shot selection unable to finish at the rim no playmaking ability.

A bunch of good contracts for mediocre players with a good coach.

5. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

The way I see it is we need to go in one of two directions.

Either make a move like trading for Horford and Anderson, while keeping Howard and then commit to paying them all big money over the next 3-4 years. (ALL IN)

or

Trade Howard for whatever you can get, strip down the long term contracts and gather assets to try and nab another superstar in free agency, alongside Harden, like we did the summer before Dwight.

6. Play07

Play07 Member

so a guy on max contract $22.4 mill, that the city basically threw a party for when he signed here may it even be able to be traded, because of so many issues.

Ummmmm but I thought morey was the best and gets all the good contracts ?

7. Victorious

Victorious Member

hes not being traded because he has so many issues. you had to give Dwight the max to get him. the question is, is he still worth the max for his next contract? most seem to think no.

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

Bobby Marks

Can you lay out the challenges for the Rockets if Howard is on the block?

Biggest challenge is his expiring contract. Teams will take him on for the short term without giving up valuable assets. You don't have the certainty he'll re-sign. He's looking for another bite out of the apple. He's 30. Can a team risk paying him $25-30M? He's still a good player. Not Orlando Dwight but a good player. Durability is a question. He'd have value if he was still locked in. It limits the playing field with how his contract is structured.

What could they get in return?

Playing with a small field. The whole league in general, the need for centers, especially playoff teams, is not a priority. Teams above Houston, Memphis lost Gasol but don't have assets. Take out SA/GS/OKC. The one thing the Rockets have to ask themselves are the Rockets willing to take a step back for assets in the long run? Portland/Dallas/Utah, two of three have nice young centers. Dallas can sign him in the offseason. Teams that have assets are rebuilds. Why would Denver take on Dwight? Then look towards the East: Boston, Charlotte & Chicago. Teams will figure out how can they get in the playoffs?

What does this team become with Harden and whatever they get back for Howard? What kind of team is this?

They'd fall back in the playoff race. You almost wish the deadline was 2 weeks from now so you have an idea where you stand. You move Dwight because he might leave, it's a tough sell. They've been an inconsistent team. Thought they turned the corner in mid-January but reverted back to their bad habits.

I want a legit 1st round pick(won't get Nets pick) or legit young piece. Could you get Winslow from Miami?

Concern with Miami and moving Winslow, their assets are depleted from the Dragic trade. Not a pipeline of young players coming up. Could they construct a trade with expirings & Whiteside? Possibly. It'd be hard for Miami to move Winslow.

Auction Dwight like they auctioned Asik?

Once we get past the deadline, he can't be traded. If he opts in, fair game. That option hanging over his head the next couple months, he's hands off.

Is Dwight on this team next year?

He'll be there come 3:01 on Thursday. Spending time with Houston and knowing Daryl, they're built to win now even though they're not top 3-4. Their goal is the playoffs. Maybe the switch turns? Offseason, Houston has a lot of good contracts to move if they have to. I would be nervous giving Dwight a blank check to come back.

How much of GS dominance impact the way other teams think about building their teams?

A lot. ... Their dominance has had an impact on the league. GS is built for the long run. You have to be conservative and careful on how you build your team. If you take a step back, it'll be tough sledding here.

9. Play07

Play07 Member

Yep exactly but I would've went a different way signing him in the first place, then giving a player option.

Look at how the Warriors did without getting him, what if they had him hanging around goofing on that serious team, and Teams being able to hack him and slow down their rythm and how they like to play ? I'm forsure they wouldn't be as good.

To me Howard was ok here but I can't really judge him all the way since morey never got a REAL STRETCH 4 next to him. So 50% of this is on morey for him and harden not working. This shouldn't been moreys first priority when they signed Howard.

Instead of trying some dumb %#s twin tower stuff with AISK and letting his value go down.

10. YOLO

YOLO Member

lol because Bogut is such a great FT shooter right

11. Play07

Play07 Member

He doesn't slow the team down in general and bogut not only center they had winning their championship.

12. YOLO

YOLO Member

yeah that makes a ton of sense when Howard currently plays on a team that plays at a pretty fast pace

13. rwienert

rwienert Contributing Member

This is close, but I think rockets would have to send clippers Capela or something of value to make it worth their while.

14. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

If the Clippers were even considering that deal I would send anything they wanted except Harden!
    Would prefer to keep Capela and give anything else.

15. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

Bogut is a better passer and will actually attempt a mid range shot.

Overall he's a bad freethrow shooter but he is a little better than dwight.

What kills this team when I watch others is we don't have one big that can attempt a mid range jumper. I guess smith can but we know how that goes. When smith is hitting that shot the rockets look great when he's not he's unplayable.

Our bad offense I believe takes a toll on our defense. When guys are clicking getting involved early the defesnse tends to be better. Our one wild card is we haven't had a starting Pf all year. Maybe dmo comes back and is the difference maker and we go on to post a 20-7 record post Allstar?

I'm sure 47 wins is good enough for the 6th seed and if lucky maybe even the 5th.

The rockets still have the same talent as last year. We need Harden and Howard to step up as leaders and power these guys in these last 27 games.

If we can go 20-7 to end the season that would mean we're playing at a high level and maybe we can make some noise.

No matter what had we got the 3rd or 4th seed this year we still would have to play SA or GS 2nd round so all in all we just need to catch rythem heading into the playoffs and see if this team is good enough.

Ideally we would get the 6th seed because I like okc and SA more than clips and gs as the first two rounds. Ths clips would be and easier first round matchup but gs is much harder than SA.

Besides what better way to make an impression on KD than to knock him off in the 1st round.

16. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Chris Haynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer reported yesterday that the Cavs need shooting and are looking at McClemore and that Ariza is "on their radar."

Can't link it but it's on Cleveland.com

Howard/Ariza for Love/Mozgov makes good sense.

17. Newlin

Newlin Member

It's starting to feel like nothing is going to happen. Why would anyone give up anything of value to rent Dwight? I think it would be easier to trade Dwight if the Warriors weren't so strong. Adding Dwight to any roster is unlikely to make any team a threat to the Warriors.

18. rocketsmetalspd

I still believe he will be dealt to a team in Eastern Conference but IF you are right and he doesn't get dealt I hope Morey has a plan B.

19. YOLO

YOLO Member

i actually don't see him getting traded at all. Him or Harden. It's the other pieces where I see at least a move will be made.

20. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

LOL... They aren't going to give up on Love. Love is extremely b-ball IQ'd and can do 75% of what D12 does athletically. He's basically Ariza 3 pt shooting (althought Ariza ain't that great) some of the defense or most of it sense he's got so much game intellect and has the ability to do what this current level of Dwight does anyway. They aren't that doing that trade.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.