1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Houston has started contacting teams about trading Dwight Howard

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Amel, Feb 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Member

Yep.

One can hope there are still other teams in the league and GMs that don't have analytics departments... because the narrative that Dwight is still an elite defender and it's lack of effort by Harden, or a step back by Ariza that are the true defensive problems clearly doesn't tell the whole story. it tells a lot of the story, but the stats as you note also paint the picture of Dwight just not being as good.

Frankly, it's increasingly obvious with the eye test as well. He's increasingly reluctant to come out "enough" on pick and roles. He doesn't go up as much to block shots. When he does go up to block a shot it seems to take a lot more effort and is slower, which leads to uncontested offensive rebounds by the other team. Etc., Etc.

This is clearly not pogo stick, challenge everything in sight, move your feet on PnR big man defense that Dwight did when he was younger.

It's his back, his age, his mentality, whatever.

There's a reason why the Rockets defense isn't really any better with him or without him these days.

2. Zergling

Zergling Member

Cousins. Please Cousins

3. hakeemthagreat

Ya'll said this last year, but this year that crap doesn't fly. Ty Lawson was supposed to be the starter, but Bev beat him out with pure heart & hustle. The main reason he's starting is because he helps cover for Harden's laziness. Putting a playmaker next to James makes a bad defense ever worse

4. dobro1229

dobro1229 Member

I noted that its our defense. Yes I know. But it just shows you that he's not able to clean up a mess like he used to.

In a better team defense I'm sure Dwight would be great, but with this team obviously their best chance to WIN NOW isn't with Dwight on the floor. Its by simply outscoring their opponent.

So unless the Rockets are going to overhaul their defense overnight, they need to trade Dwight if he's not going to be around next Summer. He's not helping us at all this year unless they miraculously turn around their defense.

5. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Who covers Bevs laziness.

6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Good post!

But I have to think some of this can be blamed on terrible perimeter defense, right? Guys blowing past Harden/Ariza with ease on their way to Dwight?

7. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

Beverley can't defend anyone, he gets blown by easily and gives up silly fouls

8. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

in that case, sure! But if Durant doesn't show up, then you don't want to pay more for a team that's already bad. Get something for Dwight now before he walks. I honestly think he deserves the max still. Any other C of his quality is getting the max. I don't care if they're younger. Dwight's rebounding and great hands to catch and finish alley- oops and just passes in general are very hard to find... Good luck replacing it.

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

5 crazy Dwight Howard trades you wouldn't even think of ...because why not?

Horford + Splitter for Howard + Motiejunas
    Carmelo + RoLo for Howard + Lawson

HOU: D.Lee + Randle + Bass + Olynyk
    MIA: J.Crowder + L.Nance
    LAL: McRoberts + Whiteside
    BOS: Howard

D.Lee + Bradley for Howard
    Parsons + Zaza + J.Anderson for Howard

10. Roxfreak724

Roxfreak724 Member

I just don't get it....how the hell can you not figure something out with this much talent??

Not gonna lie though, I never got the impression that Howard disliked Mchale, Rockets seem to be listening more to Harden then Howard. I'm not saying that they're wrong for that, but often times the younger and more immature you are the less self-reflective you are when faced with a problem.

I honestly would have been much less sad to see Harden go, not based on play necessarily, just that attitude

1 person likes this.
  11. hakeemthagreat

Bev's lazy now? What is this nonsense you speak of young man:confused:

12. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

Helllllllll no

13. jump shooter

jump shooter Member

THIS. Spot on. This rockets season has got to be some of worst perimeter defense I've seen played in some time. Its blow by city if your the opposing team.

14. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Actually, I have been corrected on the salary matching. Rockets would have to take back a little more than $17 million if deal Dwight.</p>&mdash; Jonathan Feigen (@Jonathan_Feigen) <a href="https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Feigen/status/697871170603847680">February 11, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Morey last night: &quot;Where we're at shifts how much you focus on now versus future. Doesn't make you exclusively look at 1 versus the other.&quot;</p>&mdash; Jonathan Feigen (@Jonathan_Feigen) <a href="https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Feigen/status/697872407789371392">February 11, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

15. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

16. aelliott

aelliott Member

Neither can any other center. How often do you believe that happens per game?

Those numbers regarding shooting percentage are based on the player directly guarding the shot attempt, not just being in the area. This season opponents are shooting +0.5% better than their normal shooting percentage when Howard is defending the shot.

Why do you think Capela has a better percentage (-1.6%) when he's playing with the same players?

17. R=$

R=$ Member

ncoming Players
    Mike Conley
    28 year old, 6-1, 175 lb PG from Ohio State
    14.9 ppg, 3.0 rpg, 6.1 apg in 31.5 minutes in 2015-2016
    Jeff Green
    29 year old, 6-9, 235 lb F from Georgetown
    12.2 ppg, 4.5 rpg, 1.8 apg in 29.1 minutes in 2015-2016
    Courtney Lee
    30 year old, 6-5, 200 lb SG from Western Kentucky
    10.0 ppg, 2.3 rpg, 1.5 apg in 29.2 minutes in 2015-2016
    Outgoing Players
    Dwight Howard
    30 year old, 6-11, 265 lb C from Southwest Atlanta Christian Academy (Georgia)
    14.6 ppg, 12.0 rpg, 1.5 apg in 32.3 minutes in 2015-2016
    Jason Terry
    38 year old, 6-2, 185 lb G from Arizona
    5.9 ppg, 1.1 rpg, 1.3 apg in 16.8 minutes in 2015-2016:p

1 person likes this.
  18. Ming The King

Ming The King Member

Exelent post

I take the Miami deal if we can agree an extention with Whitside before. CyberX metion this trade as a posibility.

If we can steal Winslow in that trade it will be amasing. Miami will need a PG. so Bev + 1st for Winslow and fillers.

But anyway, a starting lineup with

Dragic
    Harden
    Winslow
    Dmo
    Whitside

looks young and great. Still not a contender.

If we can steal Winslow in that trade it will be amasing. Miami will need a PG. so Bev for Winslow and fillers.

19. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Damn I like this first two

20. Buzzlite

Buzzlite Member

Wow...Not what I expected to hear (or wanted to hear) coming into this season *sigh

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.