1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yes go for Durant but don't sleep on Harrison

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by slickricky, Feb 10, 2016.

1. slickricky

slickricky Contributing Member

I say we give Durant our fair shot but I am not banking on it... We should really consider not wasting our time and go all in on Harrison Barnes! Thoughts?

2016-2017
    Bev
    Harden
    Harrison
    Ariza
    Dwight/Capela

#1 slickricky, Feb 10, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
  2. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Go for Both

Bev
    Harden
    Barnes
    Durant
    Dwight

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Harrison Barnes is a rich man's Terrance Jones.

**** that.

4. majicdonjuan

majicdonjuan Member

I'd love to see Barnes here, but not at the star-level pricing it'll take to get him.

5. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Barnes is not nearly good enough to gut our roster for.

6. YOLO

YOLO Member

Barnes would fit nicely next to Harden. improving all around player and showing to be more than capable in handling a bigger role.

7. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Yes! we need to get some good supporting players as well (PG)

8. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Harrison part of GSW big four. They're not letting him go lol

Curry, Thompson, Green, Barnes

9. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

He's going to get overpaid if in a position like ours.

Plus the Warriors might still match a max deal anyway.

Yes, it's too much, but the Warriors are a historically dominant team, and absent a real shot at getting Durant, if they win a second ring in a dominant fashion, certainly not unreasonable to see them keep Barnes at the max.

Going after that 3rd ring, on an all time dominant type team, would be really hard to pass up, luxury tax be damned!

Finally, keeping in mind that Ariza, though without the upside of Barnes, is still similar and a solid compliment to Harden, has 2 more years at a GREAT contract, and I don't know why we'd even consider it, unless we move Ariza to fill other needs.

PG/PF ... it's been the same issue for years, and remains so. Bench obvious, but upgrading PG/PF helps make bench deeper.

In a league where centers mean less and less, seems we address that by moving Dwight.

If I'm chasing someone not named Durant, at a max deal, I'd rather chase Mike Conley.

10. Phreak3

Phreak3 Contributing Member

You are willing to pay Barnes 21 million per year? Does he have super star potential?

11. Raven

Raven Member

The teams that find the Harrison Barnes, not the ones that pay them the max, are the ones that succeed long term.

:p:p:p

12. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

OP did NOT just put Durant and Harrison Barnes in the same sentence?!

13. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

If they break Barnes off, they will isolate themselves out of depth in the coming years because they will have to Pay Stephanie the next year and none of the other players are signed beyond this year.

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/golden_state_warriors/

14. SemisolidSnake

I cannot fathom why Kevin Durant, who hasn't won a championship and who everyone in the league will be wooing with a max salary, would even entertain coming to play here, especially after this season and the complete uncertainty it portends for the Rockets' future.

15. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

Barnes will regress in our system.

16. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Sure, but they'd have Barnes, Curry, Green and Thompson locked up, and could go as far into the luxury tax as they want to keep other existing players. Then there's the issue that the salary cap could be north of $105 million in 2017/18 (and a similar increasing luxury tax).

They'd still be in the luxury tax realm, but not as painfully so.

The real issue would be how much they value Bogut/Iggy/Livingston and how to replace them, and whether or not to sacrifice Barnes in order to keep that depth. Or how to replace that depth when they are capped.

It's a tough choice, and they have to see how this season plays out anyway. I think it's an easier call if they don't win the ring this year, as some change would be needed anyway.

17. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Those three you rattled off are what takes this team from being elite to dominant.
    If they lose those guys, the starters will be on the hook for more effort and you'll see a residual effect. The depth is what allows them to play the way they do. I think they let Barnes walk and try to find someone similar in the draft or at a lower pay grade. Curry must get the max..

18. malakas

malakas Member

Barnes and Durant are at different timetables. You are NOT wasting your time going after Durant except if Durant plans to make his free agency a marathon.
    Barnes can sign an offersheet after the moratorium ends. By that time Morrey will have plenty of time to speak to him after Durant has made his choice.

What you can miss of by going after Durant is Batum, Dwight himself (depending on the situation), Whiteside, Derozan etc etc.

19. malakas

malakas Member

Btw I don't think paying Barnes 22-23 per is a good idea and I hope Morrey doesn't sign him.
    He is not an elite shooter, he is not an elite defender and he is not a good creator.

20. underrated015

underrated015 Member

Do we have to go down this road again. Remember we paid ariza after the Lakers won a championship. Their system is great and they have athletic players but lol at throwing that money at barnes