1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NASA is full of crap] Space experts warn Congress that NASA’s “Journey to Mars” is illusory

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Bandwagoner, Feb 4, 2016.

1. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Member

2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Member

MEOWGI level meltdown.

3. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Member

I remember that guy hated Obama right? Why am I similar to him? Obama has steadily increased NASA funding. 19 billion for 2017. Obama is pro NASA.

4. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Trip duration also comes in play. Just another of many challenges.

5. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Member

Scott Kelly will have spent 556 days in space. Thanks to the ISS being shielded by the earth on one side he will only get almost half of the cosmic radiation than actually going somewhere. Also the ISS has super awesome aluminum skin that protects him further. When we fly it until 2028 (hopefully beyond) we will have subjected people to that radiation for 28 years.

That doesn't matter because what we really need is to get Chang Díaz a 200 MW reactor so we can get to Mars in 30 days. You need this massive flight ready (currently unbuildable but those are the challenges) radioactive reactor to save astronauts from radiation.

#125 Bandwagoner, Feb 9, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
  6. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Not consecutive and not at same level, but still absolutely useful data possible because of ISS.

7. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Member

I wish the ISS could take credit for that but the actual data is from MSL doing the exact trajectory and staying on Mars. So not one of the many accomplishments of the ISS. Once we have all of the core technologies and huge ship built for Mars it will really be something.

8. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

MSL doesn't have a human on board.

9. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Member

That's right! It detects the exact radiation a human would receive but does science without increasing chance of cancer.

10. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

And what's their finding? Multiple challenges they have to find solutions to for human to travel to Mars. Solutions that don't exist yet.

11. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Member

Yeah ISS is working hard on those solutions but we cannot expect miracles. 16 years of continuous occupation isn't enough time. Already extended to 2024 but hopefully will go beyond 2028. There is good news that Russia, China and the US will fund a replacement but NASA is a bit quiet on that subject. I'm not sure how many times you have to circle the earth to figure out how to fly to Mars but hopefully we get there. Of course the next baby step is ARM in 2030 where we will learn how to circle the moon. Many challenges there, and the public will be captivated for for hours, possibly days. Anyone catch ISS on post superbowl Colbert? Was awesome. Classic ISS.

12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

So you seriously equate territorial disagreements among the nations of Southeast and East Asia with the incredible claims made by the PRC in the same area? A long time ago, I said that China was making a huge mistake by threatening Japan, a nation that just might have been the poster boy for being incredibly wealthy and, at the same time, deliberately keeping itself militarily weak in relation to that wealth. They were quite happy to leave their defense largely in the hands of the United States of America. That if China seriously threatened Japan, and they have been, that Japan would be forced to do something they didn't want to do. Dramatically boost their defense spending. Change their constitution so that they could act militarily like the rest of the world does if their national interest and their very survival required it. We are seeing that occur. Japan is putting troops, anti-air, and anti-ship missile batteries in the Ryukyu Islands. They are putting hundreds of troops on Ishigaki Island, some 90 nautical miles from the Senkaku Islands. It wouldn't surprise me if the radar stations and missile batteries they are now busy installing in the Ryukyu Islands soon follow. After the thinly veiled threats of 2013, and the threats and actions of China before, and especially since, I cannot say that I am surprised.

It could have been avoided. Actions have consequences. Cold War mentality? I have to laugh. Real world fear that someone will make a mistake and bring war to East and Southeast Asia is not from a "Cold War mentality." It is a response to the actions of China that are endangering peace in the region, and possibly beyond. You can keep your head in the sand if you wish with regard to China and her actions, and I will continue to keep a close eye on the situation in the region.

13. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Member

Bizarre deleting and reengagement by Casey going on this thread.

Is this some schizo projection of NASA?

14. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Member

I don't know what that means. Care to clarify? Add your thoughts on our space program? No thoughts in your brain? :(

15. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Member

I'm just here for the popcorn. :)

Please don't insult me and vanish when it doesn't suit your current mental needs. :(

16. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Member

Did I vanish? Seems like no. I don't think I insulted you either. Are you thinking of someone else? Let's get through this confusion together in this safe space we have created in the new D&D.

I wish we could start by explaining what you meant earlier. But if you are uncomfortable with that don't feel pressure. :)

17. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I hear the ISS is the best

18. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I wish more of your posts were quoted during your meltdown.

19. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Member

Sup Rob. You gonna coach me up or what. I'm at rice 24 right now. I figured you wanted to actually something of substance to the thread but I guess not?

20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Member
    Supporting Member

Where are you getting that a super massive parachute is feasible to open in a thin atmosphere for an object hurtling in at supersonic speeds????

This is hilariously false. The radiation to be concerned with is not just from the sun, it's cosmic - and the only reason there is life on earth (or an atmosphere at all) is because of the shielding

It's not earth's gravity only you are fighting against. It's the sun's as well. You have transfer your orbit from the Earth (which is circular) into an elliptical one with the Sun in such a way to intersect mars basically a year later. That's still a lot more energy intensive than just getting out of Earth's orbit. For one thing you have to not just have them intersect, but you have to do it in a way that they intersect traveling basically at the same velocity. This is very energy intensive as the further a body moves away from the sun, the more is slows down, to the point that it is a much slower speed than Mars. So you not only are escaping earth's gravity, but you have to use a ton of fuel to get into the right orbit with enough velocity that you slow down to the precise speed Mars is at. You are showing you don't know anything about orbital mechanics.

It's not feasible today is what they are saying as the technology doesn't exist and the challenges are incredible. The moon shot was easy compared to mars. I mean you're talking order of magnitudes of difficulty.

I don't think you have enough knowledge on the subject to say it is feasible either - are you some kind of astrophysicists? I mean, have you even taken a class in the freakin subject or is all your knowledge based on blogs?