1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[BS PODCAST] Future Rockets Coach Tom Thibodeau talks about teams around league

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RocketsFido, Feb 1, 2016.

1. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Kids today are different, it's the AAU generation and they cannot take people talking ish to them like Draymond. I grew up in Michigan and we would go off on the playground if you didn't play D. You would have to wait forever to get a down.

I would love to see somebody step up in get in the face of their teammates. Can't be Harden cause he doesn't play D, not D12 because he can't stay in a game. So this is rudderless ship with no on floor leaders.

2. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

I firmly believe our next coach isn't being talked about here, yet.

I think we are going after another former player to be our coach. We've had success with that in our recent franchise history, namely Rudy and even Adelman (1st playoff series win in over 10 years) and McHale (first WCF since 1998). I think Les wants a former player and the players (namely, Harden) will respect a former player more than most traditional head coaches.

Obviously, whoever the team hires needs to bring a strong overall structure on both offense and defense and some accountability to this team.

3. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I would like to have him as our coach. Our team's success depends 100 % on Harden's development. And Harden needs a coach like Thibodeau.

4. OTMax

OTMax Member

As long as Morey is around, not going to happen. Watch us getting Scott Brooks if Leslie thinks that will give us an edge to get Durant. Watch us keeping J.B. just for the sake of it. Watch us promoting Finch to complete Morey's plan.

5. FanSince93

FanSince93 Member

Bye bye Morey.

Welcome Thibs. or Anybody :grin:

6. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Yeah, that's not an argument for a head coach. Popvich and Kerr are head coaches, they chose pieces of his defense and none of his offense. That's why they are great head coaches and Thibs is a good but dead end coach.

Tex Winters designed most of Phil's offense, but that's not what makes a head coach.

He's an elite assistant who can get his team to overachieve for a short period of time.

10 years ago he'd be a great coach, but he's just not developed at all in the last 7-8 years.

We need to wait for an elite head coach to become available or find a hidden gem like Kerr. Someone who knows how to CHOOSE systems on both sides of the ball and has the character to connect with people who are mid to late 20's in the year 2016.

7. hakeemthagreat

No he's definitely not. Where did you get this crap from???

8. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

hmmm.

sam cassel ???

9. Nero

Nero Member

I like how Kerr's elite coaching made Curry and Thompson and Green such good players.

Hey, maybe we could get Luke Walton! He's a former player, to boot! And he is the elitest of them all! Look at his elite record!

10. davidxhz

davidxhz Member

where is the proof, what extraordinary thing has he achieved?? i know he is assistant to doc's celtics team and he is assistant to Van gundy's rockets team, all his teams has a good defensive rating, but come on, look at the the talent level of all those teams, they are built for a great defensive team, if thibs can make the current rockets a top 5 defense, or the current 76s a top10 defense, then i will admit he is a good coach

11. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

I don't know about all that but he's definitely a good coach. He's also insightful; he lost his job due to overplaying his stars and being stubborn with rotations. I think his discipline and intensity would be great for this team and if he had an "associate" head coach like Gentry who understands offense, that could be a winning tandem. There aren't a lot of minutes left in the game for Thibs to play Harden any more than McHale and JBB played him.

12. Nook

Nook Member

You are rambling.

Thibs would be a great coach 10 years ago?

He has not developed at all the last 7-8 years?... he wasn't a head coach 7-8 years ago.

He was a great coach 2 years ago. Indeed he vastly overachieved with the team he had in Chicago and got the most out of the players he had.

Thibs did and does connect to his players.

He also pushed extremely hard for the Bulls to draft Draymond Green and they did not... He also has a very strong relationship with James Harden.

I don't care if it someone 17 or 57.... it comes down to whether the players respect their coach, they believe in what he is trying to do and that the coach is actually good at coaching. That remains true for millennials, generation Y, X, baby boomers or the greatest generation.

13. Nook

Nook Member

He lost his job because he lost a power struggle to Gar Foreman and John Paxson.

Everyone talks about Thibs and minute distribution....... well guess who is leading the league in minutes this season? Jimmy Butler...

Indeed most of the Bulls are within 2 minutes a game of where they were last year, even with young players getting more playing time.

Also, Thibs had an elite associate HC.... the current head assistant in GS, Ron Adams..... but the Bulls management refused to offer him a contract.

14. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

No it simply doesn't, it's not true for all of those generations and that's precisely why we study those generations and why those categories exist. Thibs is the least likely person to connect with these guys, like JVG. These guys will not understand why Thibs is shouting so often. They make insane sums of money and have their d!ck sucked by everyone around them. They will tune him out very quickly, Harden being the first. I'm sure Harden liked a dose of Thibs, but that won't last very long IMO.

You also seem to be under the hilarious impression that our offense will NOT get worse while our defense will improve. That doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

Thibs is the same guy he was when he was assistant to JVG a decade ago, before he ever became a head coach. The Bulls should have done better during his time, instead he drove them into the ground.

Also, you're dodging the key point. Thibs is not a top 20 coach offensively, not even close and we know it based on his career not based on some projection. He overachieved in Chicago the same way COY candidates overachieve - getting players in the highest gear way too often in order to cover up for his shortcomings, and then there's no gewar to kick it into in the playoffs, and no ability to keep players plugged in without success.

I'm sure he'd do fantastic for 2 regular seasons here, but I want a championship.

You think these guys need discipline but that's not the type of discipline that master coaches like Popovich and Kerr and Phil and even Carlisle are preaching, and it's not what's winning. Those guys are preaching commitment to a successful overall system. Thibs is preaching commitment to a broken system, it is simply not good enough offensively to achieve the success needed against top notch defensive teams in the long run. He will build a system even more reliant on Harden, with even more ISO's. The only time he deviated from that with the Bulls is when he had no choice except 5 mediocre players. People like Thibs, JVG, Hollins are old news for old minded people who are nostalgic about days past. Those days are not coming back.

Finally, I don't know how Thibs feels about stats but he doesn't seem like he'd have a co-operative relationship with Morey given his relationship with the Bulls management.

Also, try to post anything without a personal attack.

15. watashi315

watashi315 Member

Kerr was destined for greatness as a basketball coach. He's got great pedigree having played for legends like Lute Olson, Phil Jackson and Gregg Popovich. He's won 5 champinonships with two dynasties. Won 3-point shooting contest. Was a GM for the Phoenix Suns and a TV commentator.

He has literally seen the game of basketball from every angle possible and a winner in every way.

16. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

I think we are on the same page. I just don't know that I can say that Thibs is vastly superior or even better at all than Adelman; Adelman was one of the best coaches in the league from the late 80's to the 00's and was one of the brains behind one of the most beautiful offenses in the history of the league. But as far as available coaching candidates, Thibs is head and shoulders above the rest. I know the Bulls are missing him right now. I think the minutes thing is overblown when you consider how bad our own minute management is.

17. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Thibs and JVG are much better coaches than Lionel Hollins. Both of them have a good feel for the game too and both of them have probably tempered their stubbornness somewhat since getting canned. JVG will probably never coach again but Thibs is the best candidate out there. He just needs someone to help him run a more creative offense.

18. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No doubt.

19. Nook

Nook Member

So let me get this right....... Thibs was coaching less than 12 months ago, and was successful doing so... including coaching players in their early 20's, but now, suddenly he won't be able to do it? That makes absolutely zero sense.

Also, it is interesting because Kerr is out in Golden State and they don't skip a beat.

Also, the idea that coaches like Thibs are gone forever is naive. People said the same thing about Chuck Daley, Pat Riley, Jerry Sloan and many, many more. Hell that is what people said about Rick Carlisle when he was in Indiana.

Lets not even get into the fact that Harden really likes Thibs, as do other players.

Players want to win, they want to get the most out of their ability and they want to have a coach that is a leader.

Thibs keeps stats and had the Bulls order advances stats the last two years he was coach. He believes in them.

20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Will his style work in the West?

Grinding in the East where they seem a bit slower paced
    Hurting his players etc

What will it do in the west?

Rocket River