1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Myth of Josh Smith and the Reality of the Rox

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Texanasiafan, Jan 25, 2016.

1. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

No doubt that Josh Smith had given a new life and energy to this Rox team, which many fans already believed this could be one of the worst and most underachieving team in the recent history of the Rockets.

The simple truth about Josh Smith : this is an uncoachable player, he played well in Atl in the early days when they have an average at best coach which allowed him to basically do the things he wanted. But when he was asked to fit in a system, he failed miserably. And of course, things getting much worse in Det and LA, which both coaches are strong and demanding and eventually he was given up by both coaches.

Entering the Rox, which basically a team in the last few years, playing a totally free style of basketball under McHale because the personnel we got. This team has no discipline, some of the decision making on the floor are the dumbest you will ever see, often will be at the bottom of the league in terms of TOV, can blow out a good team on one night and then struggle to win over the likes of 76ers or Lakers.

But that's exactly the perfect match Josh Smith will be looking for, seriously, when he will jack up and other quick 3 on top of the key, will it be more harmful than Harden dribbling the ball for 20 seconds and trying to make a pass between the legs of 2 defenders and ended up with a fast break for the other team for a layup?

At worst, he brings some energy that this team often lack of, yes its that sad.

So it really doesn't matter what kind of coach we will have next year, unless majority of the current roster will be changed, this style of playing will be just the same.

If the next coach will want to change this, it could end up worst for the Rox.

2. OTMax

OTMax Member

He won't be here next year, especially if Thibs comes in. Let's enjoy this for now and not worry about anything. This information is pretty obvious and common sense so not sure what you are trying to say.

3. Nook

Nook Member

Ramble ramble ramble.

Harden made the Finals with the Thunder and was thought well of by Thibs and Coach K during the summer trials.... Thibs went as far as to call Harden his favorite.

Howard played and went to the Finals under VanGundy... the same coach that got rid of Smith.

Ariza won a title under Jackson, and was a key piece....

Lawson played his best basketball under George Karl....

I see nothing in Donatas' game that would keep him from playing well under a disciplined coach.... ditto for Beverley....

So that basically leaves Jones (a free agent) and Smith (a free agent).

So really you don't have a point.

1 person likes this.
  4. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

That's what I am saying, the so called "if Thibs coming in" or whoever the next coach will fix all the problems this team had is just a pipe dream.

You may think that McHale is not a good coach, but there is a reason (or more than just one) that this team has been playing this kind of style of free and undisciplined basketball for the last few years.

Unless you will totally change the roster, nothing will be changed.

The real issue is with the players, not the coach.

5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Here's some advice that I can bestow upon you from years of watching, reading and posting here.

The Rockets winning >>>>>>> your dip**** opinion, regardless of who you are.

When you find yourself hoping that they lose/fail to run to the BBS and post - you're doing it wrong.

1 person likes this.
  6. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

I don't see the rockets not bring josh smith back next year. They see what he means to the team and offesne while also making our best player more comfortable on the court.

7. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

This pretty much sums it up for me...

8. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Do we really need another thread for this? Yes, Smith has his drawbacks. He likes to jack a lot of 3's(which non-center doesn't on this team?). He makes the occasional boneheaded pass(again, who doesn't on this team?). But he brings so many other good qualities to the table that you'd have to be blind(or work for ESPN) to not see how important he is to the Rockets. We don't beat the Bucks or Mavs without him, period.

I'll admit I completely underestimated his importance when he left. I looked at the 20-7 record the Rockets had before he joined the team last season and assumed they could duplicate that without him. What I failed to realize was that a big reason the Rockets went 20-7 before Smith arrived was due to the outstanding play of D-Mo. He brought many of the same qualities as Smith(outside shooting, passing, finishing around the basket, defense, ballhandling).

Obviously none of us expected D-Mo to be a virtual non-factor this season. Otherwise it would've been a no-brainer to keep Smith. But I think it's clear at this point that for the Rockets to have any chance of contending or even being a factor in the postseason, they better have a 4 who can do all of the things Smith and D-Mo do. Because clearly T-Jones is not the answer.

1 person likes this.
  9. seeingred

seeingred Member

where did you get that from? The guy said Smith thrives in our chaotic system and can only thrive in chaotic systems. The new coach would (hopefully) have a stricter system in which Josh Smith would probably not do well.

didn't say anything about hoping the rockets lose.

10. Jacinto

Jacinto Member

Terrible, don't waste our time...

11. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I don't get the point in the whole "If we bring in Thibs, Smith will be gone..." because it's so far in the future.

How about we hope JB turns this ship around and we get another magical season out of this? Let's just ride this out.

12. Von Rafer

Von Rafer Member

/thread

13. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Wow...delusional homer alert! Burn him at the stake!

:grin:

14. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

Also guys, Josh Smith and Dwight Howard used to play in high school together on the AAU Celtics back in Atlanta growing up.

See in the picture below. That is Josh Smith to the far left and that is Dwight Howard in the middle to the right.
    [​IMG]

Yeah I know sorry. Couldn't resist. Jeez, it's like people actually act like he hasn't been in the league for 11 years.

15. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

Smith has skill sets that this current team needs to be successful. I understand where the OP is coming from and the point being made but no use in down playing Smith's importance to the current team or assuming he will be gone as soon as a real coach/system is implemented. If Smith can help the Rox get back to the level they were at last year and the team can possibly build on this momentum going into the playoffs, the rest will take care of itself. No use in over thinking this.

16. jogo

jogo Member

You know I kind of agree with this. We have no idea where DMo will be at healthwise and people seem to think Jones is gone. Keeping Smith might be a good idea, especially when it looks like his teammates really like him and he helped so much in the playoffs. I'm just not sure what type of salary it would take...

17. seeingred

seeingred Member

we need to find the other 2 guys and suit 'em up.

18. hakeemthagreat

Idiotic post. Josh Smith isn't uncoachable, his skillset just fits a more open system that allows for him to create. He's a creator. Fans like you just don't know the X's & O's of the game and judge players based on their appearance or perception around the league. It's funny how a "uncoachable" player could be loved so much by such a well liked coach in Kevin McHale. This thread is pure foolishness lol

19. s3ts

s3ts Member

look, man. i'm a fan of Lin. but stop. you're gonna end up eating your words at the end of the reg. season.

20. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

No,

I am not downplaying the importance of Josh Smith to this current Rox team.

His importance in the last 2 games is very obviously.

He is giving this ROX team a new life.

The real question is this : is this type of playing style (which almost the total opposite like the Spurs) with this group of player can land us a championship?