1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Peyton Manning the GOAT QB?

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Cohete Rojo, Jan 24, 2016.

1. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Record for passing yards.
    Superbowl appearances.
    MVP.
    And just now beat Tom Brady and the New England Patriots.

2. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

No. Tom Brady is and I hate Brady.

3. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Tom Brady is absolutely above Peyton Manning

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

And those nine one-and-dones? :p

5. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Nope. Manning did nothing in the 2nd half to be memorable while Brady single-handedly brought his team back against the best defense in the league and delivered crucial passes on 4th downs to keep his season alive.

6. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Arguably.

Everyone is thinking about Peyton, right now. But, you have to remember Peyton from 99-10. Being an all time great QB is one thing, but being an all-time great QB who is essentially an offensive coordinator on the field is entirely different. Especially in Today's NFL against these advanced defensive scheme and talented players.

I know people think Brady is awesome, but we still have players, like Marino, Montana, Elway, and even the now underrated Bradshaw.

7. Major

Major Member

It's unfortunate that the 1st half counts as much as the 2nd half.

I thought it was interesting that Manning now has a winning record vs Brady in the playoffs, including the last 3 times they've met. People used to give Brady credit for his wins vs Manning despite lesser stats and responsibilities - I'm curious if people will do the same in reverse.

8. conquistador#11

Cool joe will always be number 1. they say free agency didn't exist but it didn't either for opposing defenses. And the defenses were allowed to play like men. Brady is still ahead of peyton I suppose.

9. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

That's a really good point, kind of like Chamberlain vs. Russell.

10. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

A lot of the Brady aura is because of his performance in the Superbowl, the 3 last-minute engineered drives to win his first 3 Superbowls and the 10-point 4th quarter deficit he overcame last year against a historic Seahawks defense. Even the losses to the Giants had Brady throwing hail marys into the end zone for the last play of the game. Brady never goes down without a fight just like today where almost pulled it off.

On the contrary, the last two performances by Manning in the Superbowl were horrible lop-sided losses were he struggled mightily. People, writers, voters will all remember that as part of his legacy.

11. Buck Turgidson

Tom Brady
    Joe Montana
    Peyton Manning
    Marino? Who?

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

They count... but so does being 4-1 in conference championship games.

Like most things when you discuss GOAT, there's going to be arguments for/against every single of the candidates... but he's certainly still in the discussion.

I also don't know anybody who thinks that Brady would be as successful without Belicheck... and I don't know anybody who believes that Peyton wouldn't have had similar (if not greater) success if he had a coach like Belicheck his entire career.

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

Yup.

This'll be his 4th different coach in the Super Bowl. (Dungy, Caldwell, Fox, Kubiak)

14. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

As a huge Peyton Manning fan, I just cannot believe how the worm has turned this season. In November, they showed the game against the Chiefs here in Houston where he set the all-time yards record early in the game. It awesome to watch.

However, he was so terrible afterwards (5/20, 4 INTs), Kubiak benched him for Osweiler. It seemed like Peyton's career was over at that point. Very tough to stomach.

Now he's going to the Super Bowl! Couldn't happen to a better guy.

15. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

He is like Lebron James of the NBA. Very hyped coming out of high school/college. Mostly lived up to it. Won a bunch of MVPs got to a bunch of Finals. Mostly lost in the finals. It seems like Peyton gets more love than Lebron.

16. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Montana had jerry rice.

17. Buck Turgidson

Manning had Marvin Harrison and different rules.

18. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

there's quite a distinction between how they switched teams. one made a special on TV, the other got cut essentially (i think) and replaced by a #1 pick in the draft.

19. Major

Major Member

Lebron hasn't set all sorts of all-time NBA records at this point.

20. Apps

Apps Member

Peyton Manning is the greatest quarterback of all time and I will stand by that even if he loses this Super Bowl. When I say "greatest quarterback", I mean quarterback. All of this stuff about Super Bowls and playoff wins/losses is fluff that can only be taken into account from a team context.

You look at his ability in his prime and throughout his career when it came to arm strength, accuracy, intellect, dissection of defenses, etc., and not to mention all of the statistics he holds records in, and I think one would be hard pressed to think of a quarterback who is more impressive. Take into account that every coach he played for basically just stood back and let him do his thing, and I think it's clear. The guy's problem is that there was never a stable staff around him. Brady has had Belichick his whole career, and Manning has never had an anchor like that.