1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

J.B. sees Rockets as flexible [chron]

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OTMax, Jan 24, 2016.

1. OTMax

OTMax Member

So we have a system, that's new to me. I would hope J.B. would adjust, but I guess we will keep doing the same things. The whole league is happy to hear that..

2. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

I think he definitely has a "system", we see it in action when Josh Smith touches the ball.

The real problem is when Harden touches the ball... there's a 50% chance it actually gets run.

3. OTMax

OTMax Member

Fair enough, but you can preach a system based on ball and body movement, which is it what McHale & J.B. have alluded to yet means nothing when you do not have the team run sets which encourages this. And if Harden is the main reason they are not doing it, than we have a serious accountability problem like Blatt in Cleveland. I always thought this, but didn't really want to believe it.

4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I just wish we'd learn to incorporate multiple picks to free up shooters and create space for drives to the basket. You know, like San Antonio does. I'd be perfectly happy if we do it "fast."

5. dmoneybangbang

It's a common misconception that we don't have a system. The league likes knowing we can win or lose against any team?

6. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I don't know why we would do something as silly as look at what teams like the Spurs and the Warriors are doing. You're talking crazy!

7. bmd

bmd Member

The team runs sets all game long.

Really, it comes down to the players executing.

8. Ronkol

Ronkol Member

But if the players can't execute the plays shouldn't a coach adjust?

9. OTMax

OTMax Member

You think? could be of course. Somehow I think though that are sets are just way too simple to stop and thus we just pass it around, 90% of the time back to Harden. To me that is because players do not know what else to do. But again, it could be that they have plenty of sets but game after game it's the same so would it not be smart to add something or change something?

10. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

The NBA has made it perfectly clear in the case of the Warriors that they will not call moving pics. Sure, there's a double standard for Howard, but I say we just coach all our big men to start doing the patented "turn your ass into the defender" pic that GSW runs every single play.

11. Beardaholic13

Beardaholic13 Member

Our "system" is to run the P&R with shooters in each corner....we have NO system and i fail to acknowledge we have anything else cuz its never been seen.
    I dont think ive ever seen harden shoot an open shot because a player other then him created it. It just hasnt happened. Our "system" is being taught at high school currently

We dont have any sets thats multifaceted, its always either this or that and when you play teams with the same talent you will never win because thats a HUGE handicap...If you watch one GS game you will know what a proffesional set means

Offense sets dont involve two people usually it involves atleast 3...We run the same P&R all game long with no new nuances to it,thats too predictable

12. Beardaholic13

Beardaholic13 Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3gkM9bCwX8

This is a Basketball offenseive set!
    Klay screens draymonds guy before he screens currys man.....then curry gets the double team pass out, and bogut with the lob...great offensive set that i have not seen the rockets come close to making in the last 5 years

13. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i'd be content if they just moved the ball like the Spurs. and when they do, they're on of the worst passing teams i can recall. sloppy, lackadaisical...

one "play" in particular i don't understand: after bringing the ball upcourt, they'll pass it to Dwight (or Capela) at the top of the key. he's no threat to shoot from there, and he never looks for a cutter, instead standing w/ his back to the basket waiting for Harden or somebody to comeback and get the ball, at which point he goes and posts up. 10-15 seconds have run off the shot clock, and nothing has been accomplished. yet, they do this over and over again.

the ran the same play with Josh the other night, and he either took a shot, passed to a cutter, or drove the lane. it was amazing how much more fluid our offense looked w/ Smoove out there.

14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

That play is more about how bad a defender Love is. Curry is never actually double teamed or trapped, like he was supposed to be.

We did almost that identical play over and over against Nowitzki and the Mavs in the playoffs using Josh in that Green role, and Howard getting all the dunks. You don't remember that?

15. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

We have a system now. We didn't have anything close to that with Kevin.

16. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

we have harden tho, no need for that.

17. OTMax

OTMax Member

So we have an offense? It seems that any motion and good passing is because of a player, not the system. Take Josh, he looked great last night. Tonight not so much. Why? Nobody puts him in a position to be the best he can be, he just makes it happen!!

18. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

Golden State has Curry, your point?

19. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

this is it. most plays we run are simple and usually different sets of a harden iso. im not lying when i say this but the plays in 2k are more complex than what they run.

not every play needs to be a clusterfk of picks and screens and cuts, but rockets need to do a better job of expanding their plays.

20. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

they won a 'ship and they do ruin good plays. elevator doors, you can see a buncha youtube vids on that.

we run nearly nothing but harden iso and he's not only regressed this season but he doesnt care that much too. thats not a good way to run your offense