1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Whoopi Goldberg says she may leave America if Trump is elected.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by RocketsLegend, Jan 22, 2016.

1. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/jan/21/whoopi-goldberg-maybe-its-time-for-me-to-leave-the/

“The View” co-host Whoopi Goldberg on Wednesday said a possible Donald Trump presidency signals that “maybe it’s time” for her to move out of the country.

Ms. Goldberg was responding to a claim by fellow co-host Joy Behar that the Republican presidential front-runner “has a lot of Democratic tendencies, if you look at his record.”

“Listen, he can be whatever party he wants to be,” Ms. Goldberg interjected, according to a clip obtained by Breitbart News. “What he can’t be is he can’t be the guy that says it’s your fault stuff isn’t working. That’s not the president I want. Find a way to make stuff work.”

“But you can’t say, ‘Oh, you’re Lebanese or you’re black or you’re Mexican or you’re a woman.’ Stop blaming everybody. Let’s fix the crap. Let’s just fix it,” she continued. “And if you can fix it, I will listen to what you have to say. The minute you start pointing and saying that person is a rapist and a murderer, it pisses me off because I’ve been part of that when they just use a blanket statement to talk about black people or when they use a blanket statement to talk about white people or women or any other group.

“I don’t think that’s America. I don’t want it to be America. Maybe it’s time for me to move, you know,” she added.

“Don’t say that,” Mr. Behar warned.

“Listen, I can afford to go,” Ms. Goldberg said, adding that she didn’t know where she would go if she chose to leave.

“I’ve always been an American, and this has always been my country, and we’ve always been able to have discussions,” she said. “And suddenly now it’s turning into, you know, ‘not them, not them.’ And you know, we have a lot of friends whose parents saw this already. They don’t want to relive this. They don’t want to relive this. So I need all the candidates to get it together. Get back to American values.”

Ms. Behar added: “I must be naive maybe, but I do believe that at the end of the day the American people will not vote for that type of xenophobia. The fact that they voted twice for President Obama, twice for President Clinton, people like that. I really do believe they will come to their senses. And you know what, [Mr. Trump] can’t win without 40 percent of the Hispanic vote, and he has alienated the Hispanics.”

2. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Its extremely ignorant when people say this about upcoming presidents, regardless of the side. I personally think its one of the most unpatriotic thing to say. Threatening to leave instead of of help changing it is one of the most cowardly things to say.

3. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

This gets exhausting, even though she could totally afford to do it comfortably and others have without any political context. Perhaps considering the number of people who've said it and not done it can be taken as a figure of speech and not reacted to or reported as vehemently. This reminds me of that sitcom she had with that Arab-British comedian that could have been great, but was weighed down with a lot of ranty crap like this.

4. jacoby

jacoby Member

She's not going anywhere and she knows it.

1 person likes this.
  5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I've been dying to discuss this.

1 person likes this.
  6. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So if we have a Bernie vs. Trump election, then America can be rid of either Bill O'Reilly or Whoopie Goldberg.

America wins either way.

7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

There have been disturbingly few threads about The View in recent months. Glad to see that changing.

8. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

no e in Whoopi

[​IMG]

9. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7RiHfEtOy6A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

what the hell did i just find???

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

People said this when George McGovern was running for president.

11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I can somewhat understand her position.

There was a moment here on cf.net when some were voting for Jerry Sloan as Rockets coach. I was going to leave the country, if that happened.

12. Buck Turgidson

Get back to me when Judge Judy and Steve Harvey announce their plans.

13. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Because Trump is not winning anything on the national level and she knows it.
    But public figures say dramatic things because it draws attention...like Trump.
    Hannity never got waterboarded, and that dude from the Amboy Dukes is not dead or in jail.

jacoby likes this.
  14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

*ALMOST* makes me want to vote for Trump

Rocket River

15. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

It's an interesting topic (apart from Whoopi or other celebrities). I tend to agree with those, like Space Ghost, who say it's pretty unpatriotic to say "I'll just leave," no matter what side you're on. Even though we now live in an oligarchy, you can still, as a citizen, make some difference at least in your local government, and you should do so, I think.

Now, here I am invoking whatever's law, but what's interesting historically is that people get a ton of credit when they leave a bad political situation. They get tarnished if they stay within something that becomes a radical or negatively-seen country. (And I actually don't think Trump would be that radical at all, despite his trolling comments to get the base excited). I've studied the history of various scientists in Nazi Germany, and the question asked now is usually not "what did he/she do to make things better," but it's rather "why they hell didn't he/she leave?" Einstein gets ALL this credit for "leaving" (sic) Nazi Germany, but he was already gone before they came to power and was just sifting through generous job offers in the US and the UK. He never liked Germany at all anyway, and he'd run away even as a little kid (to Switzerland I think). But he gets all this moral high ground credit. Others risked everything to try to make a positive difference within but they are now considered enablers or worse.

Mrs. B-Bob and I have wondered if we could live elsewhere and when you go through it, step by step, it would be pretty horrible. Maybe in your 20's it wouldn't be so bad, but it would suck after that.

Anyway, yes, Whoopi or Bill O could easily move comfortably ($) to another country but I'm pretty sure they would hate it, unless they were sick of being a celeb. I don't think Ireland would care much about Bill, and wherever is probably not going to care much about Whoopi. But I do like the idea of Bill getting, like, a wee hours graveyard shift at some AM Dublin radio station. And Whoopi doing bad community theater in Ottawa somewhere.

1 person likes this.
  16. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Leaving the US over a president, a passage of some law, a disagreement with some movement, is focusing on some negative while ignoring all the positives. Go ahead and leave if you can't stand the USA because that's exactly the message you are giving when you do.

17. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

This.

Bill O'Reilly ain't going anywhere either.

It's just a publicity stunt when well-known people say that they're going to leave if so-and-so gets elected.

Besides, both of them are making craploads of money here. They're not going to walk away from that.

18. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

You DID leave the country... :cool:

19. amaru

amaru Member

Addition by subtraction.

20. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I bet Hemsley and Clifton Davis were coked out every day on the set of Amen. Two-thirds of the country without cable, no Marvel or Pixar sequels opening to a nine-figures at 8:00 pm on a Saturday.