1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Academy Members Defend Oscar Votes: "To Imply We Are Racists Is Extremely Offensive."

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by MojoMan, Jan 20, 2016.

1. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yeah, you missed it lol. There just aren't that many of them in Hollywood comparatively for their voice to be heard.

Rosario Dawson

2. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Of course I have said myself I expect that there is racism in Hollywood.

What I am asking is if any Latinos, including perhaps Rosario Dawson, have called the Academy racists for their nominations this year or last, or have singled out some other person or specific group of people?

3. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

BET was founded by Robert L. Johnson before selling out to "the man" (Viacom)

[​IMG]

So technically, it is owned by Viacom, BET is now run by Chairman and CEO Debra L. Lee

http://www.bet.com/topics/d/debra-lee.html

[​IMG]

Laugh away.

#83 Falcons Talon, Jan 22, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
  4. Falcons Talon

Latinos? lol

5. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Man whose calling the Academy racist first of all? Pointing out race issues is not calling people racist.

Yes? Are you that easily confused?

6. Falcons Talon

To whom are you referring when you say Latinos, and while you're at it, tell me about the BET argument.

7. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Ummm Latino people?

8. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Speaking in broad generalities, what I like about Hispanics is that they tend to lean on hard work to get ahead, rather than crying racism or asking for handouts. I applaud that.

9. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

In this context, Hispanics are probably the most admirable large wave of immigrants this country has ever seen, with the probable exception of the Chinese.

10. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yes, and speaking in broad generalities what do you think about black people then?

11. Falcons Talon

mm hmm...I figured

12. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

If you missed it, thats because you're not paying attention. Lack of hispanic roles in Hollywood is precisely why people like Alfonso Arau (El Guapo in the Three Amigos, and the Drug Lord in Romancing the Stone) became a director. Or, they get tired of taking roles as gang members and drug lords (Danny Trejo has expressed discontent with always being offered these kinds of roles).

1 person likes this.
  13. Falcons Talon

How about, speaking in broad generalities about people.

14. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Seems odd to judge immigrants like this, it implies that some immigrants have been bad for America? Are you just saying that some are better than others?

Any ways, according to some of you. Hispanics don't complain about this and well look at that, they are the ones with the largest disparity of representation in Hollywood. Using this logic it seems like if you are quiet you get nothing in return. I mean we know that though, seeing as how the civil rights movement played out and people thought black people were whining and complaining then too.

15. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

You really are confused huh? You don't know what Latino means?

Too bad he didn't say that or he wouldn't have said "Hispanics" at all.

16. Falcons Talon

Yes, I am really confused what a Latino is. Please elaborate.

Is a Hispanic a Latino or is a Latino a Hispanic?

17. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

You really are confused so I will.

A Latino is someone whose origin traces into Latin America. That would make a Brazilian a Latino.

A Hispanic is someone whose origin is from a spanish speaking country.

18. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

If I were a Hispanic active in Hollywood, I would certainly NOT be quiet, but I would not go around indiscriminately playing the race card and calling people racists when people did not pursue the movie projects that I wanted to see pursued. What I hope I would say and do, would be something like this:

Good post. That is inspirational, and in my mind, that is how you do it.

And if I missed it, that is because the day to day Hollywood news about who is making what kinds of movies is not something I follow very closely. For that matter, I do not know how I would follow that sort of activity if the urge came over me to do it. That being said, I sincerely appreciate you sharing that post. That is really great stuff.

19. Falcons Talon

I'm not confused at all. I'm just toying with you, but since labeling, race and cultures seem so important to you, I wanted to make sure you knew what you were talking about. I'm not impressed to be honest.

20. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

You still have not mentioned who called who racist?

Does this include the white actors and directors who criticized the academy too?