1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

#OscarsSoWhite

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by SeabrookMiglla, Jan 14, 2016.

1. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

I still just don't understand why people even give a crap to watch celebrities attend an awards show to celebrate themselves. I don't care if they are black, white, or purple.

It'll be interesting to see how many winners offer their award up to the actor of color that they feel deserved the Oscar over themselves. Since apparently many are "appalled" at the lack of diversity int he nominees, let's see how many of them give their Oscar up. I think I know the answer.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's because you aren't a racist, to a racist, that's the only thing that matters.

3. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

'Clueless' actress Stacey Dash calls for end to Black History month and for BET to go off the air while slamming Spike Lee and Jada Pinkett Smith over Oscars boycott

Stacey Dash said in an interview she thinks the BET cable channel should go off the air and there should be no Black History Month
    Dash also called Jada Pinkett Smith and Spike Lee's plan to boycott the Oscars 'ludicrous'
    BET responded to Dash by asking if it could get its check back from her guest appearance on its show The Game
    Dash, 49, shot to fame with her role in Clueless and is now a contributor on Fox News

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ke-Lee-Jada-Pinkett-Smith-Oscars-boycott.html

4. DCkid

DCkid Member

This is a very interesting chart and article. Finally some insight.

"Once up for top roles, black actors do well, converting 9% of top roles into 10% of best-actor nominations and 15% of the coveted golden statuettes, a bit above their share of the general population."

5. SeabrookMiglla

6. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

7. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Dash has always been pretty and was getting movie roles in the '80s before black-centric projects really took off, so I can appreciate her gauging her success outside of her racial identity. Black History month is slightly less impeachable if you consider some of the academic and social views of blacks when it was started. The entire conceit of a show like The Game makes me hurl, but I don't mind that Sister Sister twin, that Sweet Valley High twin, or that principal from Steve Harvey's old show still getting work.

8. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yeah, this is where I got the 5% number, it was from the study of last year that I kept trying to point people to.

The funny thing is most of the people making it a black/white issue are those who keep saying it doesn't matter. Many of the people are speaking for more diversity...and people are translating that into "You just want Straight Outta Compton to win!" or whatever.

I made this point on the very first page...

9. Caesar

Caesar Member

Yeah. Show those black actors and directors what the #'s look like for asians, hispanics, native americans, etc.

Pfft...they want to be rewarded for being black only.

The absolute only black people who have a legit complaint this year are Idris and the team that made Beasts of No Nation. Though i don't know how that works with it being a straight to Netflix release as in if it even qualifies for the Oscars. Even if it does qualify and it has zero nominations, i think that has more to do with the people running the Oscars snubbing Netflix. Hollywood big shots are against films being released in this way and that likely is the only reason and not because "black."

10. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

But that's wrong though, the black people in Hollywood that has spoken up about this have talked about all minorities.

11. Commodore

Commodore Member

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://video.foxnews.com/v/embed.js?id=4717197794001&w=466&h=263"></script><noscript>Watch the latest video at <a href="http://video.foxnews.com">video.foxnews.com</a></noscript>

12. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I don't have a dog in the dress up and make believe trophy tussle of '16, but I disagree that this is interesting.

13. i3artow i3aller

<iframe src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/152800891" width="500" height="500" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>
    <p><a href="https://vimeo.com/152800891">Oscars</a> from <a href="https://vimeo.com/user44640352">I3artow i3aller</a> on <a href="https://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

14. Rockets025

Rockets025 Rookie

Sounds like jada is upset her husband didn't get a nom. I can't remember the last respectable movie I saw jada in

Didn't concussion flop in theaters? Will smith tried to hop on a hot topic in sports right now and made a movie about how getting hit in the head is bad for you long term(which is basic knowledge even to a 10 year old). Way I see it neither of them have been in anything worthy enough to even be invited to the oscars besides their family name

Beast of a nation was good but idk if Netflix originals count towards the oscars

People who think Straight outta Compton should be nominated have lost their mind(more like a dazed and confused for our generation, but I actually bought the directors cut DVDs) and Michael B Jordan over acted in Creed(basically another rocky movie with same plot) so I don't know why people think Creed deserves one too

15. Commodore

Commodore Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/b3LGAgM32_E?start=40" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

16. IamKhan

IamKhan Rookie

17. JeffB

JeffB Member

Meh... The current gate keepers are old and will be dead and gone soon. Then more open minded voters and studio heads will be in power and outcomes will differ. I think these stupid hash tags and yearly outrages oversimplify what is going on and overly reduce a cultural phenomenon to the political mudslinging over racial politics.

Non-white actors get shafted in Hollywood all the time, not just yearly. And those actors who can't get a fair shake have complained for years. Some black and latino actors have made inroads, but even still, recognition is mostly granted by the official organizations representing their professional guilds only when these actors play very stereotypical roles befitting the tastes of an older group of white voters.

But, again, once the next round of gatekeepers are in place, non-white actors will get opportunities to play the roles that lead to nominations. Once that happens, in conjunction with a younger group of core voters, the Oscars won't be as white as they are. They will still be white, just by virtue of who dominates Hollywood, but it will be different.

The entire process is mostly political and decisions are often made based on personal relationships, personal preferences/biases, and behind the scenes campaigns instead of purely artistic merit. You have voters voting for films they never watched. And you have voters not voting for very deserving films because the films just weren't watched because of preconceived ideas about the cultural subject matter.

18. JeffB

JeffB Member

That is Cube being Cube. He will never, never, never, ever take a public position that 1) appears he cares about the establishment, 2) appears he is seeking approval of the establishment, or 3) lets on something got under his skin.

On the Daily Show, he admitted it bothered him a bit ( as Trevor Noah pressed him) but he immediately followed with what was in this video. Cube knows how to work this industry and, if he wants to keep getting funding and support for his films, he knows that pissing and moaning is the wrong thing to do. He is gonna do what he should and what Jada should: make better movies.

19. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

so in other words, you agree with what she said? or not...?

20. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Doesn't matter, I was just making observations about Dash's age and career and how they might have informed her opinion.