1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Academy Members Defend Oscar Votes: "To Imply We Are Racists Is Extremely Offensive."

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by MojoMan, Jan 20, 2016.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Oh, I am sure this is a teachable moment about you here... just don't think you are clear as to what it is... LOL!

2. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Why do you think disagreeing with someone who makes blanket accusations of racism, makes someone a racist?

:confused:

3. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

That is one of the most dishonest questions I have ever seen posted in this forum, which is no small accomplishment.

4. Buck Turgidson

RocketsLegend solving the racial problems in America:

[​IMG]

5. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Blacks are roughly 10-13% of Americans. Not a huge percentage. You could easily envision a scenario where it's within the statistical realm of possibility where no blacks get nominated and it's not due to racism.

6. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Uhh... I don't? :confused:

No... Take the question at face value and answer it. You're not racist, but accusations of racism upsets you. Why is that?

7. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Lol, well sorry it discomforts you. Seems like you are a little sensitive about all this.

8. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Fair enough. But wouldn't you agree that the presence of blacks in entertainment and pop culture don't exactly mirror that statistic?

Honestly, I couldn't care less about the Oscars... Other than seeing Leo finally win the big one. But, I really can see the merits in this argument.

9. DCkid

Seriously? Because based on the information, the accusation seems unfounded. Same reason anyone would disagree with any accusation.

:confused:

10. DCkid

In pop culture in general? I don't really agree. Even if I did...that seems a bit like taking the effect and making it the cause (to quote the White Stripes).

11. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

12. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I hope you are not going to make the BET argument...

13. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't want to comment on the Academy awards specifically.

But in general, I think a lot of people who are sensitive about being called racists don't understand the charges in many situations.

It isn't like most of the people complaining are saying there's an effort to keep blacks from being included. It isn't like people are saying they would vote to include someone, "oh but wait they're black, so no I'll vote another way."

The actual accusation is usually that the perspective of voters who are usually white will see issues/performances/experiences with a different perspective than voters who are black. Simply having those varied viewpoints amongst voters might change who gets selected.

There's a communication breakdown that occurs.

Until something can be mended with how people communicate and hear the complaints of racism, then there will be a disconnect that will get in the way of solving the real problems that do exist.

I think a lot of those in the power structure still view racism the way it once existed until the 1960's. (It still does exist that way as well, but on the whole it's evolved into a different kind of racism).

So when there are complaints of racism, there are often different things being talked about and discussed.

1 person likes this.
  14. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

Idris Alba gave a pretty good speech on this recently....
    Idris Elba: Speech on diversity in the media and in films

1 person likes this.
  15. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I don't think the original accusation was that Oscar voters were racist so much as that Hollywood produces a disproportionate amount of white movies. It's hard for minority actors to get Oscar-potential roles, it's hard for minority directors to get the big jobs, it's hard for writers writing about minorities to sell scripts. So the Oscars end up looking white because Hollywood movies in general are white. I'm not surprised that some Oscar voters would take it as a personal insult, that they feel they are being accused of racism. That's natural. But really the accusation is something more systemic. Now, the execs who choose to cast yet another white actor in a race-neutral starring role, or pass on script because they don't think white audiences will pay to see a movie about Indians, or decline to hire a female director because she won't bring a male sensibility to the job, they maybe should feel like they are being accused.

16. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

I think you've hit the nail on the head here. Peoples perceptions vs. reality is the problem in many of these situations. Its kind of like "white privilege". YES, it exists, but the name doesn't accurately describe what it is. White People get offended when they hear the term because it makes them feel like everything they worked hard for in their life was "handed to them" and not earned. But thats NOT what white Privilege means at all. (Perhaps it needs a name change)

It's kind of the same thing with BET vs. TVOne. Both channels provide an afro-centric entertainment, but you only hear complaints about one of them. Why? The name SOUNDS exclusive and therefore offensive. Is the channel needed? YES I absolutely think so. If the name BET was changed..you wouldn't hear any complaints about it.

17. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Wow, wheels coming off mojoman here for some reason; he's very upset. Hope you're okay, OP.

"bite me," and "you have another think coming." Whoa. I hope we all have several more thinks coming.

and rocketslegend, the media runs with this issue over and over for exactly the reason above. People on all parts of the political spectrum have an emotional reaction. That equates to consuming media offerings and selling ad time. Gross, but very predictable.

the solution, if you don't like the topic, is to not read the articles, not to watch the stupid talking heads spewing their views on race, and not click on threads like this one. Cheers.

18. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

Are you this brave off the internet too?

19. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

LOL I love the BET argument. It's so junior high level thinking.

20. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

#NewBlackOscars