1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Cinema] Quentin Tarantion's 'The Hateful Eight'

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by percicles, Jan 23, 2014.

Tags:
  1. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I thought the sheriff stole the show , he was hillarious .

2. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

I agree.
    I saw it last night on 70mm. I was afraid I wouldn't like it because the reviews weren't as good as his movies usually are. But I'm glad to say I enjoyed it very much.

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Yeah, I liked him, too. But I couldn't get past Walton Goggins' accent, which he also used as a tranny in Sons of Anarchy -- and I loved that role, too. So, the sheriff just reminded me too much of a tranny. I was like, stop talking like Venus Van Dam; this is a Western, not a Biker movie!!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/IoBAzn1QmCo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

4. Kyakko

Kyakko Contributing Member

I think it's the best QT movie thus far. SLJ killed it. In fact everyone was good in it except for Channing Tatum. He was ok, but I just didn't buy him as the leader of outlaw gang. Micheal Madsen's character seem a lot more ruthless.

1 person likes this.
  5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I put Resevoir Dogs ahead of it. Then again, I put RD ahead of all of them. Same style done like a play. And Micheal Madsen was also the most ruthless character in that movie, too.

Not saying H8 is my second fav, but rather comparing it to the Tarantino movie that is most similar.

VanityHalfBlack and percicles,

The 70mm was definitely worth it. Thx. A Western is perfect for 70mm. And loved the no trailers and much appreciated Intermission.

#105 heypartner, Jan 1, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2016
  6. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Watched the 70mm one in Austin today. I liked the movie overall. I actually liked it better than Django.

Quentin Tarantino was actually in Austin yesterday for one of the showtimes at the Ritz Alamo Drafthouse doing a Q&A.

7. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Solid movie but damn do I love Django.

Felt this movie was a little boring, but still overall a good movie.

8. Jontro

Jontro Member

Watched like 30 mins of it. Too much talking. Will continue later in bits.

9. cdain3

cdain3 Member

The talking is the best part.

10. Jontro

Jontro Member

So I finally finished it. It was slow as a snail... but quickly picked up in the last third. One of those that'll get more appreciation upon a second watching, especially if you weren't paying too close of attention like me the first time around. Catch all the nuances and such.

The sheriff was awesome. Also which film had more N words in it, this or Django (the D is silent)?

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You like the action :cool:

12. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I saw it and definitely enjoyed it. The 70mm was probably the best parts. Some of the shots were gorgeous and really showed how big and wide open the space was, and what a small part the people and characters were in that big wide open world.

That being said, it is odd that for 70mm there are far fewer settings and locales to take advantage of the 70mm glory. It's not a criticism of the movie really, but perhaps just less was done with it than could have been done. That doesn't take away anything from the beauty that was done with it.

I like the slowness as things build. It goes along with the cold weather, etc. All of a sudden it builds pretty quickly and things start happening at a much quicker pace.

All of the actors did a great job. The most graphic scene when Samuel L Jackson is taunting Bruce Dern in an effort to get him to go for his gun, was amusing even though it was annoying because it was obviously there only for shock value, and wasn't necessary in any way to the plot or development.

I agree that it could definitely be a play. The characters were great, there was a real twist, and the suspense and tension build much like a play.

It was a really good movie, that is neither a typical western or a typical Tarantino film in many ways. Sure some of the aspects and both westerns and Tarantino films are there, but it isn't typical for either.

It was a really good film that was just a notch below great. Seeing it in 70mm was definitely worthwhile.

The best performers in this movie were, in order...

1. 70mm
    2. Jennifer Jason Leigh
    3. Kurt Russel/Walter Goggins
    4. Samuel L. Jackson
    I think all three of those guys were excellent, and each made the most out of their characters. Nobody did a bad job. It was a fun flick to see.

1 person likes this.
  13. dmoneybangbang

Great movie. I don't know where I'd rank it out of Tarantino's but it's up there for me. Great dialogue, great characters, and a beautiful thing to behold in 70mm and great dialogue. I've enjoyed pretty much everything Walton Goggins has been in, but he really cranked it up in this one.

14. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Really good movie, but damn, hated every one in it.

15. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Saw this about 2 weeks ago and I'm still thinking about, really enjoyed it. Thought it was an excellent ensemble. It's definitely a throwback to QT early days and I love it.

16. jcee15

jcee15 Contributing Member

Tarantino still thinks it's edgy to signal against whitey and show unnecessary X rated material. It's always amusing when aging liberals think they're rebelling against something when in fact they're vehicles for the Establishment narrative.

17. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

If I liked Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction, but thought Django was childish, Inglorious Basterds was childish, Kill Bill was childish... and well, like Tarantino has been resting on his laurels since Pulp Fiction, using his fame as an excuse to not work hard and to resist good advice and to indulge in all his childish obsessions -- will I like this movie?

18. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Lol Wtf???

19. bigben69

bigben69 Member

Interesting opinion............

20. dmoneybangbang

It's most like Reservoir Dogs in my opinion.