1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Windhorst - ESPN] Looking Back at Minnesota's 2011 Draft Night Trades (Several Rockets Mentions)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BimaThug, Jan 13, 2016.

1. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Great stuff in here about the Jonny Flynn Trade, D-Mo, Parsons and Alessandro Gentile (who Windhorst notes is "regarded as a significant prospect"):

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Wolves play Rockets tonight, an opportune time to look back at the strange story of Minny's 2011 draft <a href="https://t.co/JGZL8jDIgO">https://t.co/JGZL8jDIgO</a></p>&mdash; Brian Windhorst (@WindhorstESPN) <a href="https://twitter.com/WindhorstESPN/status/687347774581374976">January 13, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

2. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Man, this article makes DM look like a vulture. I always thought Sacramento was DM's whipping boy, but that title may go to KAHN!

3. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Yep. I had also heard that Morey may have gotten back some/all of the money the Rockets paid to get the #38 pick (Parsons) back on draft night.

A few months later, Morey flipped that extra 2nd round pick it extracted from MIN in the revised Flynn trade (along with salary filler - Thabeet/Flynn) to get Marcus Camby from Portland.

After a terrific half-season of production from Camby, Morey signed-and-traded him to New York for Toney Douglass, ~$2 million in cash and NYK 2nd rounders in 2014 (Nick Johnson) and 2015 (Montrezl Harrell).

4. basketballholic

The most vivid memory I have of that draft is wanting Mirotic over DMo and then watching us trade him away after we drafted him.

5. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

This article was great. I can't wait for the articles to come out in several years about what the hell Vivek did this past Summer with the stupid trade with the 6ers to free up cap space to sign.... Rondo (expiring), Belinelli, and Koufus.

However at least Vivek was shooting for the moon in free agency beforehand even though he was too impatient, and a star player like LaMarcus Aldridge turned into Rondo & co.

The Kahn 2011 draft night conundrum is even worse though by intention alone because at the root of it was the need for cash, not as cap space, or for distressed ownership, but for cash to FIRE a coach. Unbelievable.

obligatory.....

[​IMG]

6. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

But Morey is "mediocre" especially when it comes to drafting according to the idiots of clutchfans.

7. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Although they won't admit it, these same idiots would have easily passed on Curry, or at least traded him instead of Ellis if they were running GSW. Morey makes things look so easy, that when he does succeed it looks like anyone could do it, and when he fails it looks like anyone could have predicted it.

8. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

KAAAAAAHHHHNNNNN

9. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

And they should know better, with the Texans' having employed for several years the very definition of a mediocre GM. The comparison of the track record of the two is stark.

10. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Morey is a shark. He can smell blood in the water.

Worked out in Minnesota. Hasn't worked out yet against Denver. Even when you line all the cards up right, sometimes the river kicks you in the ass.

11. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Kahn making all of those moves to raise capital to fire Rambis is SMH. And there is Morey taking advantage of it.

Anytime people want to complain about Les being cheap, just look at that article.

da_juice likes this.
  12. da_juice

da_juice Member

I wouldn't even say we got kicked in the ass with Denver. We traded our garbage for their garbage. The only real contributor we lost was Prigioni, and I don't think he would have been much better than Lawson.

13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

We traded our 2013 first rounder for Flynn and the 20th overall? Ehh

14. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Great read. Thanks for sharing!

Morey really took full advantage of Kahn's tenure in the NBA. Somebody needs to hire some more really bad GMs.

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I laughed at the guy being 5 years older than they thought he was . . . ..

Rocket River

16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

That's not what most people claim. Don't be dramatic just because you want to be a Morey apologist.

The claim is that Morey is not a genius when it comes to FIRST ROUND PICK like some of his worshipers believe. I have seen nobody dismissing Morey's genius in picking from second round. I have not seen anybody say that Morey is not shrew in trading.

When you want to call people "idiots" at least get their argument straight. Otherwise you are just beating the straw man.

17. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

lol khan. should've just given rambis one more year and drafted the best player he could. why go through all of that just to fire the coach?!