1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

time to start TJ again?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by fonzie_004, Jan 12, 2016.

1. fonzie_004

fonzie_004 Member

OI am the biggest Capela homer that lives, but I think it's just a better move for balance.Thoughts?

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Jones deserves congratulations for having one of the best games of his career tonight when you factor in how much he did on both sides of the ball, but he's had good games before and people have thought he was turning the corner and it wasn't the case. How about we just enjoy that he had a really good game and leave it at that? You can't count on him ever having another good game as a Rocket so we should just be happy that he had at least one more of them left in him.

3. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

I kinda agree, only for the fact that I think Capela is really hurting our offense. He does provide offensive rebounds but imo that's not a reason for a guy to be starting. He brings next to nothing on offense almost every game.

4. fonzie_004

fonzie_004 Member

I totally agree, but Capela looks like he needs to be backing dwight up and that's about it right now. I don't even care if we start Montrezl, it's just the spacing issue and Clin't not exactly killing it on the defensive end either

5. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

I'm guessing your assuming that he's going to be traded within the next week?

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

i can understand that, Clint doesn't have much by way of offense right now and it can be an issue. I think he's better off playing the 5, but the team has had some success with the 2 of them together so I think they'll stick with it a bit longer.

7. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

No, we don't want to disturb the chemistry of the first unit.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well that is very likely to be the case, but with Jones you never know when his next good game will happen. Sometimes it's the very next game, sometimes it's a month or more. Even if he's not traded in the next week like I believe to be the case, we still can't assume he'll have another good game for the Rockets with how inconsistent he has been his entire career.

9. Dhoward12

Dhoward12 Member

Nah, Jones should embrace the high energy bench role.

Now if we can get this energy more consistently

10. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Jones is something like 12-7 on his career as a starter. Is a difference guy every 5-6 games. Kind of Beverly level as a PF.

We would be better served getting a proper starter by using our current PFs as assets

11. ballplayer

ballplayer Contributing Member

I second this for the time being. Also, I can't see us trading Tjones unless Dmo's back situation gets alot better in the next two weeks.

12. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

You could just as easily say this about DMo, except that he's injured and not with the team.

13. Jacinto

Jacinto Member

Clutch is a TJones hater for some stupid reason, but Tjones has alot of skills, just needs that confidence.

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yes, he seems to play better as a starter and his 3pt shot gives Howard more room.

Dmo would be better, but Tjo is not that far behind...and both are better next to Howard as a starter.

DD

15. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Capela consistently brings better defense and rebounding, Jones is a much more versatile offensive player but when he isn't hot on offense Capela is the better player to go with.

So no, keep him on the bench. That's a good place for him being the 3rd big in the rotation, whenever he's hot give him Capela's minutes and have him finish the game, when he's off you have Capela and his D and rebounding.

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

He's playing well off the bench. Why jack around with what's working?

17. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

On another note, if Dmo can't get healthy, like I was saying earlier in the season, don't be surprised if we end up shipping out Dmo instead of Jones.

With Capela's emergence, we no longer need our PF's to play backup C, Jones has been playing well, Harrell is a capable 3rd string player, and the last thing we need is a PF with back issues who is injury prone next to Howard who also has a bad back and knees, it could lead to disaster if both go down.

TJ has had injuries but all freak accidents with no inhanced probability of reoccurrence, a bad back is a completely different story.

18. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Yeah, I'd start him. On the Suns :).

Two more days until Jones + Brewer for Morris can happen.

19. RudyT43

RudyT43 Member

With our three option at the forward (TJones, Dmo, Capela) the starter should be an afterthought. All three players have different abilitie and wekanesses they bring to the game, making the matchup the deciding factor in who gets the minutes.

For example, Capela started tonight but it was TJones who ended up with 30 minutes. With ZBO being one of the most physical and imposing players in the league, there was no way Capela would have been able to stand his ground.

I will be the first to admit that Jones' IQ has had me banging my head against a wall, but it was a performance like tonight that shows he has the tools to be a poor man's Draymond Green.

20. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Idk. I like TJ best off the bench, but Clint has not been playing very well for awhile now.