1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Suicide bombing in Istanbul tourist district kills 10

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AroundTheWorld, Jan 12, 2016.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/d3a52b62-b908-11e5-b151-8e15c9a029fb.html

---------

Probably several Germans among the victims. Basically, what Israel had to deal with for decades - Islamist terrorists blowing themselves up and killing civilians - is spreading not only throughout the Middle East and Turkey, but also through Europe. The "religion of peace" inspires these attacks.

---------

Recep Tayyip Erdogan, Turkey’s president, blamed a Syrian suicide bomber for a large explosion that killed 10 and wounded 15 in Istanbul’s historic Sultanahmet district on Tuesday.
    “I am condemning with sadness the attack in Istanbul’s Sultanahmet Square by a suspected suicide bomb attack of Syrian origin,” he said in televised comments. “This incident once again has shown us that we have to stay united against terrorism.”

The blast occurred at 10.15am. Immediately afterwards Turkish television channels were banned from broadcasting live images from the bomb site, videos of the bombing or images of the dead.
    Numan Kurtulmus, the deputy prime minister, told journalists that most of those killed were foreigners. He also said that one of the bodies found at the site belonged to a Syrian citizen born in 1988.
    A Turkish official said the possibility of Isis militants being involved was “very real”, given the location of the attack in Sultanahmet, a thriving tourist area close to major attractions such as the Blue Mosque and the Aya Sofya.
    Local news agencies said the wounded included German and Peruvian citizens, and a witness described seeing a tour bus of western tourists near the blast site.
    Turkey’s tourist sector is an important sector of its economy, earning more than $21bn in foreign currency last year.
    The attack is the third major terrorist incident in Turkey since July, and heightens concerns about Turkey’s security as Mr Erdogan deals with the spiralling effects of the civil war in neighbouring Syria as well as violence in the largely Kurdish south-east of Turkey. It also raises questions about the capabilities of Turkey’s vast surveillance and intelligence networks in preventing attacks at a time of heightened security alerts.

In July and October 2015 at least 130 were killed in separate bombings in Suruc and Ankara, the capital. Ahead of the attacks Turkish newspapers had repeatedly warned of the presence of a terrorist cell inspired and trained by Isis. In the Ankara bombing, the alleged perpetrators had been named in the newspapers and by their parents as potential security risks.
    In the past month Turkish military and intelligence resources have been consumed by large scale military operations in south-east, where Kurdish militants have occupied neighbourhoods in three cities. At the same time, an offshoot of the Kurdish separatist movement has taken responsibility for a December 23 attack, likely by a mortar, on Istanbul’s Sabiha Gokcen airport, that killed one person. That group has said it would step up attacks in Turkey.

“It is virtually impossible for Turkish intelligence to thwart every single terrorist plot in Turkey. It has been working to take out members of the Kurdistan Workers’ Party [PKK], the Kurdistan Freedom Falcons, the Revolutionary People’s Liberation Party — Front and members of Isis plotting attacks in Turkey,” said Anthony Skinner, a director and head of political strategy and Maplecroft, a British security advisory firm.
    “Turkey faces the perfect storm and the ultimate headache for any intelligence agency — conflict with a range of terrorist groups which are, to varying degrees, benefiting from wars in Iraq and Syria.”

2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

FU DAESH!

When I was in Istanbul I would get up at 6:30 and go for a light jog in an around Sultanahmet. It was so peaceful before the tourist crowds would come out and with the sun rising over the Bosphorus. That's the way I'm going to think about Sultanahmet and not the terror that scum like DAESH want people to think.

3. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Been to Istanbul and probably that exact spot where the bombing happened.

RIP innocent civilians

Burn in hell f'n terrorist scum

4. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Turkey starting to pay for tolerating and supporting IS, were foolish to believe they could control this.

5. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Damn. Echoing the comments of all the posters here. :(

6. malakas

malakas Member

R.i.p. :( Almost every tourist in istambul passes from there.

7. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Why visit middle east under the current situation? Do not get close to Africa or Middle East until much later time is my suggestion. Go to some where else, like Australia or something.

8. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

I don't think Middle East will every be fully safe or at least not in our time.

9. malakas

malakas Member

Turkey and esp Istambul is NOT in middle East. Half of Istambul and more specifically this part is in European Soil.:rolleyes:

10. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

True, but I'd still not go there, with ISIS being near borders (and within) and their whole political situation. Too many people don't assess the situation and go to dangerous places for vacation, right now I'd rather go to any other country in Europe and the Western World before I'd consider going to Turkey.

11. malakas

malakas Member

Then the terrorirsts would have won.
    Only two days ago my friends went to Izmir for shoping. (it is extremely cheap. You can find designer clothes for half price and good leather jackets for like 30 euros). No incident whatsoever.
    And sadly ISIS seems to be within borders from everyone including Germany.
    I don't think west Turkey is more dangerous for vacation than before.

12. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

I'd rather be alive/not blown into pieces than having people celebrate a moral victory for freedom.
    True that you don't have an attack there every week, but Turkey has been much more dangerous in the last months.

13. malakas

malakas Member

if you don't feel safe then you shouldn't go to vacation for sure. But do you feel safe going for holiday let's say to Paris? Do you feel safe in your own neighbourhood even?
    Why should those innocent tourists now be blamed for going to vacation in Istambul? It's not like there are suicide bombers everyday camped outside the Blue Mosque or in the Taxim waiting to blow out tourists.
    Turkey is not the Middle East.

I for one should be "happy" with this feeling of unsafety because I live in a place that is direct antagonist to the same tourists as Turkey. But I'm not because I don't think it makes sense.

14. Exiled

Exiled Member

Driving in Houston rush hours rage or going to small grocery store at night ,or getting lost in some area is more dangerous .

Check Walmart entrance board, missing people photos list is over crowded

15. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I'm still in love with Turkey though the refugee situation in Istanbul is deeply noticeable. Its still a great place to see with good friendly people all around.

That Syrian terrorists and Isis have struck isn't too big a surprise though quite tragic.

Turkey isn't the middle east and if the erdogan government wasn't ****, the country would likely be a rising darling in the press.

16. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

i've also been to that area. ugggghhhh horrible :(

17. Nook

Nook Member

Okay... Let us correct it then... "Do not go near Muslim countries, travel some place else like Australia or Canada."

18. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Would I feel safe going to Paris in the next months? Hell no.

In my neighbourhood? Yes, given it's a really small city with no value or tourism at all.

I'm not saying the tourists are completely at fault, but you always should consider political stituations and stability of border countries. So right now people should definitely know that Turkey is dangerous territory, especially Istanbul and the bigger tourism locations. Same with Paris or let's say Brussels. You know the risk that these locations are in right now, so a terrorist attack shouldn't surprise people.

You're saying Turkey is not middle-east and therefore not as dangerous, but given the situation near their borders that statement makes no sense, there's just ONE border between a war-torn region full of IS and Turkey. It is dangerous and not comparable to safer countries in the middle of Europe.

To the other poster talking about traffic, walking at night etc:

These are everyday life events where accidents or assaults can always happen, same with every single location or situation in your life. But this isn't comparable to going to a country that's close to a region full of war and terrorists, with known intentions to attack locations in Turkey (just prior to New Years they prevented a bombing in Ankara and also did so in past months).

For vacation you at least have the choice to consider this and go to a location with minimal risk, so opting for Turkey, Brussels, Paris etc is definitely a known risk right now and the people should think about the risks in-depth.

As to malakas' last paragraph: I don't know why any sane human would be happy with the bombing, not sure why you mentioned this or think I indicated it.

19. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Damn the D&D is depressing with horrific stories every day. I'll never understand why people do such evil things. Enough bad things happen in this world without murder, assult, stealing and rape etc, why add more pain to others in this life.

20. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

Fixed... to make it easier to understand. It's a muslim thing.

We're dealing with an ideology incapable of modern day integration - one that prides itself on stone age beliefs and a sense of denial when it comes to modern day human rights and compatibility.

The only way to change? Force moderates to take accountability and reform what they stand for, because your weakness plays into the hands of those ignorantly seeking sympathy.