1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Cult have a new album coming out next month

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by KingCheetah, Jan 11, 2016.

Tags:
  1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/pSDnqJB3Wc8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I thought these guys learned their lesson with the last album -- just make the sound you made on Love and Electric... they didn't get the message. I've yet to make it through the awful video for their first single.

2. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7ZOzQfdpA0Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  3. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Didn't like their last one...hope this is better.

4. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Last album was terrible. Saw them at SXSW that year playing a free show at Waterloo. They came on after Gary Clark, Jr...who proceeded to blow out the monitors. The Cult came on an hour late, b****ed about Gary Clark Jr to an Austin crowd, and then played almost exclusively new stuff.

The crowd wasn't more than a couple of stragglers after 3 songs. Some came walking back when they played She Sells Sanctuary but left again when they went back to the new stuff.

They broke 2 major rules. Don't bash an Austin icon in Austin when you're an hour late. Don't go 3 or 4 songs deep into your new material before playing what the people came for. Lead off with at least one and then you can play your new stuff.

5. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Wow, that single is terrible. It sounds like some lazy old guys trying to play rock after living in SoCal too long. (Don't know if they live in LA, but that has heavy LA influence. Blech.)

6. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Yeah, the new stuff does nothing for me.

I can listen to Love and Electric all day long and never get tired of either.....but other than that.....eh....

7. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Saw their episode of Guitar Sessions on Quello. His voice is shot, he's the only fat one now in the group and the new music was horrible. I was saddened as this was a top 5 band for me growing up. Hearing Rain blasting through the speakers in the late 80's at Lizard Lounge or Power Tools got me hooked. Great concert at the Summit in 1988 or 89 as well.

Now....this.

8. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Saw them opening for Metallica in 88 or 89 and he sucked so hard; wouldn't sing the songs like on the recordings, kept going "whoa, yeah, whoo, yeah" Sing the GD song like it goes!!! :mad:

Also walked rt past Billt Duffy in London in the summer of 95 in Camden Town; total rock star even tho he was wearing shorts and flip flops!!

For me I started using right around the time Drug Tongue came out, so I will always love that period of the band, even tho they were on borrowed time at that point.

9. B-Bob

I saw them in 87, I think it was, on their own tour with Guns and Roses opening.

But yeah, Astbury did a ton of that ad lib almost rock scat stuff. It was driving me crazy. I think he literally can't remember all the words, LOL.

Guns and Roses was turrrible, by the way. I've told this story before, but it's a proud moment as a Houstonian. The band was sucking and doing their last song of the night, Knockin' on Heaven's Door. Axl was handing around the microphone to let the crowd sing the repetitive chorus and this HUGE Texan guy wearing a leather vest took the microphone and bellowed, in full accent, "This bhand ****in' suhcks!" And about 10,000 people started laughing. Axl tried to kick the guy in the face as some security guys pulled the huge Texan hero away from the stage.

10. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

I think I was there also, god, the memory is so foggy now! Was it at the Summit?

11. B-Bob

Coliseum! (?) I think that's the venue. Was not the Summit, and it was dreadful, so I think it was the Coliseum, if I'm remembering the name right.

12. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Sam Houston Coliseum was round back them, yes.

13. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

One of my favorite bands of all time! I've seen them 3 times...my favorite show was at the House of Blues on Sunset Blvd. At the time they sold out 7 consecutive shows, which at the time was a record. And still could be. I was able to go the the first show and hang out in the club to see them rehearsing for opening night. It was a blast! I LOVE seeing bands like Soungarden and The Cult in smaller venues. It's much more intimidate.

14. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/YLb0sR7DK3A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

They just released this with the last album -- that sounds like a real Cult song to me... sigh.

15. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I love that album cover. I've already gone through four shirts with the same print.

16. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I prefer this one:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jQwRBd_EqR0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

17. TheFreak

Are you saying it doesn't live up to the lofty standards set by Supagroup?

18. TheFreak

Man, that album is so great. Sort of their Achtung Baby.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/sX7apbmwNJE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

19. TheFreak

What will the haters say now (other than the video is gay)?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/5GubT3MwiWE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

20. TheFreak

Very good album IMO.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/NZ6IqUrbH9I?list=PLavzelzifvt9jijbEz6hsgSg7D95LxmDv" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ERYVZiEOicQ?list=PL70OK3UIDXEuB42e1bshe8v5qxEehS7fJ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>