1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ricky Gervais @ Golden Globes

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by omgTHEpotential, Jan 11, 2016.

1. omgTHEpotential

When he first hosted the Golden Globes I really enjoyed that. It felt like something different. And you could tell the celebrities weren't digging it very much.

Now however, I think his act has become insincere, like a parody of his original performance. Stars are enjoying it and are waiting for him to roast them. While I still found it humorous, it doesn't have that original effect at all anymore.

2. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

I don't like British Humor. He's obviously drunk and coked out when he gets on stage. Typical hollywood life.

3. Juxtaposed Jolt

Well, he's been asked to host this event like, 4 out of the past 5 years?

You're not really a "shock jock" if you're saturated in the media.

4. PhiSlammaJamma

I saw him on Conan O'Brien and while I think dirty humor can be funny at times, the dude seemed a little bit beyond the element of funny on Conan. Making jokes about holes in your underware and showing your wife something through the hole and having her guess what it was. He seemed to think it hilarious. But I didn't think it all that funny. I did end up laughing at the photos of the elbow looking like a butt, god knows why I laughed at that, perhaps Andy made that funny, but overall I was left with the impression that he was so full of himself that he thought anything and everything he brings to the table is funny, when really it wasn't ( for me ). He was pressing the envelope. I generally like his style, but seems like he's over the top too much on Conan.

5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

His last time hosting was legitimately funny.
    Agreed that it felt a bit forced this time.
    Thought the Mel Gibson thing was entertaining at least.

Watched it on DVR last night, so basically only saw him talk and the awards announced. Saw bits and pieces of a couple guys I find interesting, but fast forwarded through most everything... so maybe I missed some of the dynamic, but doubt it.

6. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

He has been washed up for a a long time now and people are just starting to realize it. His two movies were bombs, his last few shows have been horrible, and his standup is taken from the old XFM radio show bits.

7. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Who cares? Where are the pics of Katy Perry's dress (boobs)?

8. cardpire

cardpire Member

Agree with most everything everybody here has said. I've found him progressively less and less funny over the years, to the point where I've questioned whether his David Brent character was the only funny thing he's ever done.

The Mel Gibson stuff was forced. The Ben Affleck dig was dark and delicious though.

9. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Xerobull and Jontro like this.
  10. 713

713 Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/F_zja9pepgU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

11. jdh008

jdh008 Member

I still laughed a few times during his opening monologue and then again throughout the night, but now that everyone knows the schtick, the routine doesn't seem to have as much bite.

Speaking of forced, I get that Amy Schumer and Jennifer Lawrence as best friends is the favorite story of the tabloid media, but man, their little bit (which seemed to be improv) when they were out there to introduce their nominated movies was painful.

Also, I get that Jennifer Lawrence's whole thing is that she speaks her mind and generally doesn't concern herself with what others think or say, but what she pulled in that press conference was just rude. The guy was a foreign reporter, and chances are that he was looking at his phone to make sure he stated his question correctly.

12. Newlin

Newlin Member

He's no Rodney Dangerfield.

Rocket River likes this.
  13. Sajan

Sajan Member

Xerobull and Jontro like this.
  14. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

I think jennifer and Amy are starting in a movie together. Going to avoid that

15. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Ricky Gervais is badass if only for introducing the world to Karl Pilkington.

My goodness Katy Perry has awesome t***. Heard from someone who would know that JJ said she was a total b**** during their ESPN the mag cover shoot. Not surprised.

Nook and rhino17 like this.
  16. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

17. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

His monologue was incredible.

18. Sajan

Sajan Member

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

His thing is just try to piss people off
    I doubt he believes half of the **** he says