1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[TV] Shannara Chronicles on MTV

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by nono, Jan 8, 2016.

1. nono

nono Member

2. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I choose to say nothing because I do not have good things to say.

3. nono

nono Member

:eek:
    That sucks. At least my expectations won't be too high.

4. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I heard so many good things about the book series AND the TV show; I was excited to watch.

That first episode was so tough to get through I don't know if I want to continue to watch. I'll give it a couple more episodes.

5. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I haven't watched the show, may give it a look eventually. I usually like these type of shows. I even enjoyed Xena back in the day, in all of it's campy glory

But the fact that it's on MTV makes it almost impossible for me to go in expecting much. I feel that it's a lock that this show does a lot to pander to teenage girls, therefore negating any positive qualities it may have.

6. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

The Shanarra series of books is pretty decent but that's about it. I like the fact that the various series connect multiple time periods and ages with a single story thread. The original trilogy is the best. Its my understanding that the TV series skips the first book.

Honestly, I have always been let down by the Shanarra series...felt it could have been better.

7. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

The two main girls are hot. That's the good part.

8. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

I liked it. Not my personal favorite but at least the story is progressing.

9. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The books were passable, though very derivative at least at first. They weren't the worst books, but sometimes I would get so annoyed with certain cliche and unoriginal. Some elements were definitely original but they seemed to be part of the background. If the books had a different focus or angle to the story it could have been even better. But they were written a long time ago. I can't lay blame for that aspect.

The first show had some good looks about it. It wasn't great, but I'll keep watching and give it some time before marking it off the list.

10. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Its about as generic of a fantasy story as you can get. Farm boy finds out he's the chosen one, destined to fight a big evil boogeyman.

GoT destroys all these trite story lines. The production value, acting, and story just seem pathetic compared to GoT.

11. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

I watched 14 seconds and it was soooooo baaaaad

12. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

So you want them to make something other than the book?

Sure GoT is great but Martin has the opportunity to write now knowing what themes are tired and worn.

13. Juxtaposed Jolt

I think people are too spoiled by Lord of the Rings. Which, ironically, is what people claim Shannara Chronicles to be - a rip off of LotR. (and in that same vein, the actor who played Gimli in the LotR films shows up as the king of...arborlen?)

But it's MTV, so they don't have the budget nor the "reach" of casting like HBO does. If ratings skyrocket for this series though, you can be sure MTV will milk the cow for all it's worth.

14. Wilezra

Wilezra Member

Ha! Exactly this.

The pilot episode was pretty interesting though.

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Ok, just watched the pilot - which is the first 2 episodes. It was very compelling.

I know they released the next two online early - but I think I might wait to watch them as they come on TV....DVR is locked and loaded.

DD

16. nono

nono Member

Nice to hear some good things about the show.

17. pgsxdjp

pgsxdjp Member

Despite the mostly negative feedback, I'll give it a try. It will be the first thing on MTV I've watched in years.

18. Freik

Freik Contributing Member

I watched the pilot yesterday, for those of you trying to compare everything to GoT, just stop, not everyone holds the remote with their pinky up...

The pilot progressed pretty well, it was worth the watch. I didn't watch the intro that sets the stage for you, but I didn't have any issues keeping up.

Ill definitely continue to see where it goes.

19. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

This TV show started with the 2nd book, "Elfstones of Shannara", because the 1st book, "Sword of Shannara", is almost a rewrite of "LotR" (although it does drop in some interesting characters).

Being on an MTv budget, I'll pass.

20. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

I enjoyed it.