1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Raphiael Putney A Keeper

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by pst257, Jan 7, 2016.

1. basketballholic

I've got my fingers crossed that after we make our trades that we get him signed and sealed. I'd try to get him on a 3-year deal if it were me. I can think of a lot of guys on guaranteed contracts that I wouldn't want over this guy.

2. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

Morey missed the boat and was to moreyball when he signed KJ over josh smith.

He litterly could have gave josh smith that 3 mil for only one year instead of kj for 3 years. Total botch, we don't use kj he looks bad every time he's gets playing time and worse yet dmo is still out and we only have jones. Any normal Gm would not have done what Morey did especailly after the playoff run we had with josh as a big piece.

I think Morey is a great cap money guy and is very creative with contracts prob the best. But I'm not sure he understands anything about really building a team he just looks at numbers and not how they play. The team from 2 year ago had more guys that fit James harden and dwight Howard's game. We overreacted off that lillard 3.

3. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

Three years?! I was thinking ten days to start off.

BasketballHolic doesn't muck around.

Morey better sign this man. Don't want to get whitesided again

4. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

But this guy looks really good even if it's onky against dleague guys. He can play and is a very fluid athlete with good handles for his size. He really does look like KD in that video.

I'm shocked Morey hasn't given this guy a contract just so other teams can't get him. If he was playing like this against foreign competition over seas he would be a lock for top 5.

Out of curiosity does any one know if there has been a guy who can out the dleague and became a starter caliber player?

5. basketballholic

7'3" wingspan. That's the same as Rudy Gay, and 1" less than Kevin Durant. Probably 9' to 9'2" standing reach.

6. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

0:51 mark.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

7. basketballholic

Durantish

8. dmoneybangbang

I definitely see him as a 3 for the foreseeable future due to his weight and strength. I'm sure with his length and quickness he would work great with our knack for switching on defense and being aggressive in the passing lanes to be a tweener.

Be someone I would like to see make it to our training camp this off season.

9. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

He looks like a SF. Appears to have better handles and shooting skills than any SF we have. If he can board and rebound at a good clip, he'd be nice to have behind Ariza. A front line of Dwight, Capella and Putney would be a block fest.

10. Handles

Handles Member

Hollic you asked what position this guy is: 2, 3, or 4. Honestly, he looks like he could play all three. The PF only when we go small though cause he's a twig.

11. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

That's the most intriguing part about his game. Although perimeter oriented he can rebound and block shots. On a couple of plays on the video I can see why. He seals his man for the rebound for inside position, something that none of our PF do consistently and here you got slender man doing it.

12. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

OMG.. do we have rights to this dude? Or can any team in the NBA sign him since he's not on an NBA team?

I'm confused how D-League acquisitions work. Can someone fill me in?

I really think we need to give this dude a couple of 10 day contracts. Omg, I am so excited.

13. RocketsFan0

RocketsFan0 Member

man i want me some putney! Morey! give this man a ten day contract!

14. Asian Sensation

Had less to do with money but rather playing time and a bigger role. Clippers only good PF is Blake and he can also play minutes at the 3 and 5 if need be. At the time he made his decision we still had Jones, Dmo expected to be back and healthy and Harrell looked like he was going to contribute right away in addition we were 2 deep at 3 and 5 as well. I'd love to have been able to kept Smith and would take him back in a heartbeat. I think he realizes he made a mistake to leave as bad as we are. Can't put this one on Morey.... Smith has made enough money in his career.

15. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Drools @ that shot. IIRC, we are one of only a few teams with the ability to sign guys to 10-days right now, for whatever reason.

16. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Jeez. Being on our team you gotta believe or hope that we have first dibs.

We should be trying everything we can because Ariza just doesn't cut it. Try him out...

17. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

:rolleyes:

18. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Dayum, looks very talented.

Dude spent 5 years in college, only played one game his rookie year though. Vipers his first Dleague team. He wasn't a shooter in college but has been knocking them down this year and last year.

I know everybody balls in the D league, but doesn't 25 points, 10 rebounds and 3 blocks, with his talent and style stand out from a rookie? Why didn't anybody pick him up last season? Why no summer league or camp invites by Hou?

He's listed at 6'10, 185... That beats Brewer out for being crackhead-like skinny. Is he quick enough to guard SG's? Can he defend big SF's well enough?

Definitely would be interested in giving him the 15th spot.

19. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

The more clips I look at, the more I believe he would be adequate on the perimeter. I think it would also be a case by case thing in terms of staying in front of SG's.

I think his reach and length would allow him to guard players like Thompson effectively, but I'm not sure how he would go trying to stay in front of smaller players.

Most SF's in the league don't have a super refined handle, and with his length he should be able to hold his own defensively against the majority of threes in the league.

20. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member