1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can the Rockets win with this team next year bringing almost everyone back plus a new coach?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, Dec 31, 2015.

1. bmd

bmd Member

If they got a proven coach, and have a full training camp, and come in focused after this stinker of a season, could the current group of players contend this next season?

Meaning... does this team really have to be blown up? I feel like this is a winning basketball team. They just don't have the right structure right now. They all look lost.

Take the Warriors for example. They were a decent basketball team a couple years ago. Then Steve Kerr comes in and makes some changes and they turn into a juggernaut. They didn't make massive changes to the roster. They made changes with the personnel they already had. The Warriors were always capable of being a great basketball team. They just had to have a coach who could get the pieces to work together as one cohesive unit like they were capable of all along. He utilized the talent on the team in a way that would maximize their effectiveness.

2. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

No. We don't have it im afraid. Brewer, Jones, Dmo and KJ will all be gone.

Ariza is hot garbage too. He just sucks in everyway possible.

3. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

4. DMO (DJ remix)

This is exactly what's wrong with Rockets, you, just like GM and the players think they're close to championship, which could not be more far from truth, that WCF did more harm than anyone could have imagined.

1 person likes this.
  5. alethios

alethios Member

I don't think the stupid will evaporate after this season. We need smart players.

6. Ns575

Ns575 Member

7. bmd

bmd Member

I don't have an opinion one way or the other. I simply posed the question.

The Rockets won 56 games last season. That's not even counting that they made it to the WCF.

They are obviously capable of playing winning basketball... even with the flaws they had last season.

These players have proven they have winning basketball in them. They have done it.

So could a proven coach make the pieces fit together in a way that could maximize the team's ability and unleash the potential of this team?

8. juanm34

juanm34 Member

You have to make changes to the culture of this club. It starts with a new head coach and moving most of our scrubs. No way in hell Morey or les brings back this current squad as it is assembled today.

9. DMO (DJ remix)

Hawks won even more games last season and made to the finals, but can they win championship? same goes for Rockets, they actually regressed not only because of coaching, but the players themselves did so as well, you think Tibs would make an open 3 pointer for Ariza or Brewer? How many games there were, even when McHall was the coach that the players can't made wide open 3's, this has nothing to do with coaching, but with players lacking skills, the likes of Ariza and Brewer been nothing but negative all season long, they can't make anything on offense and not much on defense either, then you got T.Jones and such, no, this team is much more flawed, while GSW has multiple defensive players, and people complain because Rockets can't defend, well yah, that's mainly because Rockets don't have many good defensive players, and defense wins championship.

10. ISOBall

ISOBall Member

Short answer: YES

Long answer: OF COURSE

11. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

It was a huge mistake to appoint Bickerstaff. A team with one of the worst defenses in the league promotes its defensive coach to head coach - that doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

This team needs a disciplinarian. They need to replace the entire coaching staff. Now.

12. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

A respectable head coach was not gonna take over this mess, even only 11 games into the season. The Rockets are stuck with JB the rest of the year(which is already almost halfway through) and then they'll have to look for a coach next summer.

But the trades are probably coming real soon. They need to start planning for next year now, not in late April when the season is officially over.

13. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I'm going to be optimistic and say we can still win. We need Thibs.

14. Raven

Raven Member

Harden might be the only returning starter.

15. Newlin

Newlin Member

This group? No.

Also, name me a proven coach that will be available that hasn't already failed somewhere else.

16. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Thibs didn't fail in Chicago. Given the hand he was dealt and the Heat standing in his way, he did about all he could with that team. And I'd say he was a very successful assistant coach, especially in Boston.

17. houtown

houtown Member

When Steve Kerr comes back, I wonder if the Houston Rockets will respectfully ask Luke Walton to coach their team and if he will accept the Houston job now that he has had a taste of being a head coach? The arch rivals up and coming coach will not be a bad idea in My opinion at the moment. If he denies the job, then so be it, but if the Houston Rockets are willing to do whatever possibly necessary in trying to win, I see this as a good opportunity to do so by hiring a coach who has been brought up by the greats in the game. If not, I suspect I might know where the Houston Rockets organization true priorities are at the moment.

18. Newlin

Newlin Member

Pretty much everyone in Chicago wanted him gone, didn't they?

Look, I like Thibs. And I would be excited to see what he could do. But, no one shed any tears when he left Chicago. That was for a reason, right? He's known for defense, but what about offense?

19. "Snosrap

"Snosrap Member

it depend if we have a 2014 or 2015 Harden

20. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

McHale didn't fail in Houston. Given the hand he was dealt and GSW standing in his way, he did about all he could with that team.