1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

3 Point shooting analytic video, the answer to our offensive issues

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by anchel, Dec 31, 2015.

1. anchel

anchel Member

- This is the answer to accepting Morey's philosophy of emphasizing the three, and reach success at the same time with the current roster. Yes to the three, but please quality attempts.

- This is the answer to lower offensive turnovers. And the most dangerous TOs.

- This is the answer to avoid bad shooting attempts that cause long rebounds and together with and adequate initial position of the defense to start a fastbreak lead to easy transition baskets.

- This is the answer to avoiding the ISOgame possesions, as predictable as easy to defend, specially at the end of the games. The best way of breaking that habit and force our players to get out of their comfort zone (the ISO game) happens by creating a new different habit where post play is the norm rather than the exception.

- This is the answer to keep key defensive players like Dwight Howard better motivated and focused to squeeze their best potential. And this is the best way of taking advantage of our offensive resources.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/RZyS96tpaCA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

We are lucky of having in Dwight and DMo not one but two premier post up players, so our team should be able to bring in the theory into its offensive philosphy and solve with it most of our current issues... We can do that with the current roster, we have the pieces, need no roster moves. Its about realizing that changing our current offensive approach it worths all the time invested on it. We can focus on that change or keep talking about trades, who's a winner and who's a loser. This is an strategic decision, it is not about attitude and not about player personnel.

3 people like this.
  2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

We simply have to use them

Rocket River

3. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

its one thing to have dwight and dmo. but for the rockets, its another thing to actually use them. lets see if they can figure that one out

4. Newlin

Newlin Member

Good video and it makes sense. But usually when the ball goes to Dwight, he's looking to score instead of passing the ball to the perimeter. TJones doesn't pass the ball very much. DMo can pass the ball, but he's also the most likely to be able to score from the low post. The Rockets do like to swing the ball around the perimeter, and usually fairly slowly. We used to hear a lot about playing inside out. Not so much lately.

5. valleyproud

valleyproud Member

DMo is the only post player we have who can make those passes out of the post on a consistent basis. Game needs to be played inside/out, obviously. Great post/video. Thanks for sharing!

6. bmd

bmd Member

That's how I envisioned the offense working when we got Dwight Howard.

I thought Howard would suck the defense in when he'd get the ball inside, and shooters would have a field day.

That combined with Harden's ability to drive to the bucket and kick it out, his ability to score at the rim, and the pick and roll ability of both Harden and Dwight, I thought the offense would be unstoppable.

7. Dhoward12

Dhoward12 Member

The answer is too playing defense

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yep, post ups work.

DD

9. ipa

ipa Member

Why are people saying only Dwight and DMo should post-up?

We could postup harden too. Especially when DMo is on the court and is a strech 4...

Or if he hits Jones up, with time to ajust his shot.

He is such a slow shooter!

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

No doubt we should post up Harden.

DD

11. SeekingAlpha

SeekingAlpha Member

Wasn't this the whole entire offensive strategy Orlando rode to the finals in 2009? Basically surround Dwight with Lewis, Hedo, Nelson, and Reddick and just throw it into Dwight. You either get an open 3, a dunk, or put your opponent in foul trouble.

Dwight's shown he's capable of doing this.

12. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Yes, and he was pretty good at it. Beyond me why we don't do this or at least run more P&Rs with him as the finisher.

We have so many great tools with Howard, Harden, Lawson and Motiejunas, it's baffling to see none of them utilized even remotely right.

13. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Well it might be because while it is nice analysis, it isn't complete. Eg. correlation does not equal causation. This is 2015/16... it's not the same Dwight. He's a lesser offensive player pretty much across the board just from watching him.

Clearly, the Rockets need to throw it into Dwight/Dmo more and just move the ball more and better in general, but I wouldn't get too sucked in to the analysis. It's on point, but not the be all end all.

For whatever the Rockets organizationally - coaching, Harden, players, etc. - have lost faith in Dwight as a low post offensive option. I don't particularly blame them generally. He can certainly have efficient games, but his foul shooting, turnovers, and average or worst post game has scared them off. Add in the games missed and it becomes difficult for the team to commit to this approach.

14. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

I saw some Harden post-up and some Harden/Lawson two man action early in the year vs. OKC that looked so promising. Having a post-up will add so much mileage to his game. I didn't see it much after that game.

I agree that we need a more varied offense. I think the post-up is part of the solution. I don't think that Dwight should get many post-up touches unless he he's being guarded by a poor defender. He commits too many turnovers and takes too many bad shots for that to be effective. I do think we should utilize D Mo in those situations.

But I think we need a lot more than just the post-up to mix up our game. We need more off the ball action - movement and picks. We need better execution of the pick-and-roll. We need, quite frankly, better shooters. This offense needs a complete overhaul.

15. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Nice post OP but what Harden decides to do is what dictates this teams play. If it results in reduced shot attempts for Harden or reduced personal stats for him, I'm not sure he will be for it.

16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I don't have the numbers. But from my eye test, Dwight is a black hole in the post. When he gets the ball down low, he either shoots it or turns it over. Seldom do I see him pass to an open shooter. It doesn't help that his post game is no longer respected by the defense that they bring double team which would free up perimeter shooters.

DMo is the opposite. His post moves are great. He passes out from the post well. But I feel that he passes to much and is not aggressive enough to get his own shot.

17. anchel

anchel Member

I've just seen now the first quarter against Warriors. One ball down to Howard, one basket, no more. See the boxscore, Howard 8 of 9, the same threes Ariza attepmted. At the last 8 games, Howard's been 45 of 57, 75%.

Heard the postgame press conference, nothing seems like's gonna change.
    Also same defensive strategy of let's switch everything, while playing some smallball (smart). All the team complimenting Warriors game, but I've seen 4 baskets down the rim with only a first backscreen! They don't even need more than that. Ridiculous exigency level, looks like players completely decide when to switch and we see that chaos and mess.

We are going to win 50 games anyway, we have Harden and Howard. But team is basically the same bad coached team, sad.

18. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

I've never seen it brought up - but whoever gives the green light for all the constant bounce passes through traffic to moving big men - needs to be smacked up side the head and told that ***** has to stop.

It is infuriating seeing Ariza begin to throw these passes - it was bad enough when Harden would connect on 1/3 or so.

1 person likes this.
  19. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

our offense is supposed to be layups, free throws, and 3s... so why has it become only 3s?

when the ball gets swung around the perimeter, yes its a worse 3 point shot... so why not DRIVE in the paint while after swinging it around? the perimeter defense is out of position, its a great time to drive and kick!

yes we should be posting up dmo and even harden more... dwight only in favorable matchups unless you want him to average 5 turnovers a game. but no one even drives in for layups anymore! its just contested 3's.

20. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Member

Loved this analysis! No BIG surprise that the Warriors give their shooters the best opportunity to succeed. As well as why our % continues to be bad. Its odd because as far as the off the ball shots that setup the shooters the best, post pass and drive and kick, you'd think that having a team that moved it's offense through Harden (a known driver) and Howard (post) we'd be a much better team. We just aren't running this 3 point offense correctly. We still could be lethal if we gave the shooters a better chance to succeed.