1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lowry, Ish Smith, Aaron Brooks, Lin, Toney Douglas, Dragic, Canaan: ALL higher PERs than any Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JCDenton, Dec 31, 2015.

1. JCDenton

JCDenton Member

How does it happen that Morey has been trying to "upgrade" the PG slot ever since becoming GM, yet just about every PG Morey discarded is playing better and more productive than Morey's "splash" offseason acquisition that he gave up a pick for, and also the guy that Morey resigned to an $6.5 mm/yr albatross contract in order to "keep the team together"? In many cases, such as with Lin and Canaan, we paid teams in draft picks to take these players.

I yet again repeat my long-held thesis: FIRE MOREY

1 person likes this.
  2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

James Harden is our Point Guard.

3. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Just stop.

Firing Morey does nothing to help our situation. Give me 10 GMs with better analysis. I'll wait.

The point of this thread is, well, pointless. We're all frustrated, but give it a rest. Morey is not the reason that the team is playing poorly.

It's much more internal than Morey's reach. Do you understand what his job requires? He's not a psychologist, nor is he a relationship coach.

The fact that you brought Toney Douglas into the thread says enough about the amount of thought you put into this.
    Get some rest so you can party tomorrow evening.

I'm going to rest, wake up for radiation (now that's a burn) and believe that our Rocks are going to surprise the Warriors with or without Curry.

That positive thinking does wonders. Try it.

I will admit that Ish Smith is balling, but he really doesn't do justice to whatever foolishness you're trying to to communicate.

You're a Rockets fan, so I love you, but sleep this baby off.

Peace and love.

4. JCDenton

JCDenton Member

Then who is our shooting guard? You can call him our primary playmaker but he isn't our point guard.

Aaron Brooks just dropped 29 points and is a perfect PG to play off the ball. How many times did Morey sign that guy and trade him away?

5. Codman

You're looking at things too simplistically.

Aaron Brooks was great for us, but he wasn't the long-term answer. If you look at his game following his injury from Manu, he was on a downward spiral. I'm glad he's back playing, but he's not the guard for this team. In my city of PHX, he was becoming a cancer. When he grabbed his junk, it was out of pure frustration because of the time it took to recover from his injury. He lost a step. Coaches saw it coming. He needed a change of scenery and pulled it together.

He's in a good situation now.

DM has been decent finding guards, but he couldn't afford to pay a guy like Dragic and put together a contending team. You do recognize that, right? Look at BimaThug's threads if you need to.

Ish Smith has shown that he can adapt to any team, and I'd be happy to have him as a guard if we didn't have a LEGEND named Jason Terry as our backup.

I just don't see the purpose of this thread other than your anger towards our record and a displaced blame towards Morey.

And bringing Lin to this is fueling the fire. Lin was NEVER a good fit in Houston. Ever. He was mediocre and a means for ticket sales. If you want to take a gander of his responsibility for our Portland series' loss, go ahead. It's too painful for legit Rox fans to watch and see JLin turn the ball over in crucial moments in numerous games. Why even bring that pain up? There's a thread in the DISH to reminisce over JLin. Take it there.

We may not have CP3 as a PG, but we don't need a guard who needs the ball at all times. We have a decent guard in Pat, Jet and James Harden.

Let it go. Enjoy your NYE

#5 Codman, Dec 31, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2015
  6. ISOBall

ISOBall Member

Name 10 GMs that drafted worse then Morey
    Name 10 GMs that assumed a dictator role over their team
    Name 10 GMs that trade for KJ McDaniels
    Name 10 GMs that trade for Corey Brewer
    Name 10 GMs that love Moreyball
    Name 10 GMs that treat their players like assets

7. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

[​IMG]

:p

1 person likes this.
  8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

James Harden

9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

The Numbers are Clear

Patrick Beverley has both the highest 3FG% of all the guards mentioned in the OP, and the highest eFG%.*

Just thought I'd toss that out there

* Toney Douglass does not enough stats to qualify for leader board.

10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I don't agree with the OP's simplistic take. (BTW, I know we are all waiting in anticipation for a great graph to back it up.)

But you've got to be at least somewhat amused by our carousel game of PG. Is there any team that has more ex-starting PG than the Rockets in the past 10 years?

1 person likes this.
  11. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Kanter has a higher PER than Harden. We've obviously built around the wrong guy.

1 person likes this.
  12. heypartner

Over 10 years? I think that would actually include starting SF, PF and C as well, no? It's what happens to role-player positions when the owner tells the GM to rebuild without tanking.

13. Codman

I thought about going for the bait, but my sarcasm meter started working.

Please look at David Kahn before you try to critique DM as being so horrible. :rolleyes:

"Dictator Role" over their team? :rolleyes:

What would you like a GM to do, may I ask? Is he/she supposed to have a conference with the public, fans and the players before making a team-based decision? Really? It's called General Manager for a reason. Dictator and Manager are not related in the least.

I'm not even a huge Morey fan, but c'mon, you know you're out of line for some of that. Plenty of GM's treat their players like assets. They just don't say it so bluntly as DM.

We aren't the first team that had interest in Corey either, and believe it or not, Morey is fairly respected around the league, even if "Moreyball" isn't clicking this year.

I'll give you the KJ claim, even if you wrote it as a bitter fan, but the signing was based on the thinking of a low risk/high reward philosophy.

Welp, I guess I took your bait. Guess I'll blame the insomnia and radiation.;):p:p

Really, though, we're not as bad as it appears and just like you know, once you make the playoffs, anything is possible.

We'll be there.

Good night

1 person likes this.
  14. Asian Sensation

Are you suggesting you'd rather have Ish Smith, Aaron Brooks, Lin, Canaan or Toney freaking Douglas over TY Lawson or Bev?

15. kyle7758521

kyle7758521 Member

We should have kept JL for a much lower contract while making contribution to the roster. Look at the performance of all our guards this season, no body stands out, really NO BODY.

every time when i look at the score box, our guards shoots 1 of out 7, 8, POOR!

We can keep Jeremy for a contract costing us around 4-5 million a year.

JL is now making like 2 million at Hornets, while making as good numbers as Dragic (who has a contract 5 yrs for 90 million).

16. heypartner

This is a LOF trolling the GARM, copying and pasting from his own thread. Don't bother responding brothers.

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=10217938&postcount=6

1 person likes this.
  17. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Canaan, Ish, Douglas, Brooks and Lin are all okay bench players, the first 3 on that list have the benefit of balling on bad teams (Pelicans/76ers). I'd take Bev over all of them, and talent wise Lawson is way better, he just needs to wake TF up.

Lowry had to be traded get Harden, he's a baller but that trade worked out excellently for us.

So the only real mistake we made was not re-signinh Dragic. But isn't it questionable that Dragic even wanted to re-sign here? Also, Dragic has been pretty awful in Miami and his fit next to a ball dominant SG like Wade and Harden is questionable as well.

I'm not salty about loosing Dragic, he would be a massive overpay and likely wouldn't have fit well next to Harden.

So all in all, with all our PG transactions, I think Morey has been pretty solid.

1 person likes this.
  18. Asian Sensation

If I wasn't so lazy this is exactly what I would've typed.

19. OpenLayup-Why3?

And David Duchovny is having successful career even after X-files

20. kyle7758521

kyle7758521 Member