1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Daryl Morey is so overrated

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocketsmanhk, Feb 23, 2015.

1. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Warm it up

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I predict that Les has given him an ultimatum, in regards to this season, that Morey is going to be held directly responsible for how this team does.

And I think Morey would like to hire a new REAL coach, but Les probably wants to save the money.

So, my prediction is that Morey will be fired at the end of this year unless we have a major turnaround.

DD

3. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

unfortunately, morey will not be able to escape this season's fiasco. his players, his offense, his coach.

4. joeson332

joeson332 Member

We had a good run

5. Dei

Dei Member

Rebuilt the team without a real rebuilding period. Got us a real superstar in the process. The problem is that he hasn't built a proper coaching staff to surround the players.

I'd keep him on, though. I can't even imagine where the Rockets would be if he wasn't the GM. It took years and years of bad season for other orgs to get back into shape.

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Fk, really a pity

That guy was a talented GM, but too headstrong for his own sake.

If he just traded for an allstar PF sooner, couple of problems would have been solved.

He went the other way and thought a PG was the better way to go and acquired Lawson. It wasn't meant to be.

7. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

I hope you're wrong.

I really do. I also hope Morey is learning from this.

8. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

This is dumb.

The players have cratered.

Les should be smart and let Morey blow this up.

Id love to see Morey do as real rebuild

9. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

He is in over his head

He believes he has solved basketball and we only lose because coin flips.
    Oh and coaching doesn't matter that much.

10. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

This reminds me of Moneyball with all the haters saying that the GM was crazy.

11. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Yep .

These people are all over the places. The blame is firmly on the players not coach or management.

The average poster just gets confused very easily.

I mean you've got one guy saying Harden is as good as last year, and youve got other guys who just assign maximum blame to everyone

12. puppytigers

puppytigers Member

Don't forget how Moneyball ended though. Brad Pitt's character was GM of a team that used analytics to go on a very long winning streak and reach the playoffs, only to get owned once playoffs began. Instead, it was the Red Sox who then took those analytical principles and applied them to their own team before winning. Sounds familiar?

13. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

The Moneyball A's were trying to win with budget players.

The Rockets last year were trying to win (and won last year) with two max superstars and several moderately paid role players (Ariza, Brewer, Terry, etc)

This year the Rockets are trying to win with Two max players, and several highly paid role players like Lawson, Ariza, Brewer, and alot of moderately paid first rounder salary players (D-Mo, Jones, KJ, etc.).

I don't see the "Moneyball" similarities at all. The Rockets aren't playing Moneyball. They are spending to win.

Are they using analytics to try and win basketball games.... kind of but the same analytical philosophies are applied by many other teams in the league. The three point shot has very little to do with advanced analytics and more to do with common sense... 3 points are better than 2, getting the highest percentage shots around the rim, and scoring with the clock being stagnant at the free throw line.

The Billy Beane A's have very little to do with this Rockets team. A better comparison would have been the AB/Battier/Scola led 2010/11 Rockets team which was trying to win with all low salary players... but even that team had the Yao contract to deal with so its still not 100% accurate.

14. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Well, thankfully for the Rockets and Morey, your predictions rarely turn out correct. Besides, drastic coaching changes during the season never result in improvements.

15. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

3 points are better when your players have the ability to make them. Just look at your players, you know this team is going to nowhere by taking more three than other team. Missing three constantly is similar to a turnover, and you can not get a rebound either, other teams can have a fast break too.

16. GreatOne1978

GreatOne1978 Member

His philosophies don't work in the playoffs. How many 4th quarter meltdowns has the team had last 4 years? This team is fundamentally flawed starting with its superstar players. Harden and Howard neither are championship type leaders you can build your team around. If the core is flawed, no amount of supplementary talent you surround them will help in the west. The competition is too good. Blow it all up, fire Morey, leave no traces of his work here. Sometimes rock bottom can help you bounce back the fastest. The Rockets are in no man's land right now

17. chenjy9

Supporting Member

You DO realize we got to the WCF right? You do realize that both GSW and Spurs share similar philosophies and jack up a ton of 3's as well and both went deep into the playoffs as well right? The offensive philosophy is fine. The problem is we lack the proper personnel.

18. GreatOne1978

GreatOne1978 Member

Fair. So who's responsible for bringing in the personnel and coaching staff to maximize their talents? :rolleyes:

19. chenjy9

Supporting Member

Now you are trying act smart huh? :rolleyes: No one is arguing that we need better personnel, but I just see people like you throwing blame and hissy fits. Who should we have brought in? We chased after shooters like Ray Allen before and they either didn't sign with us or chose not to sign with anyone. We chased after PF stars or stars who can play PF, but they chose to sign with other teams or re-sign with their own team. Better coaching? While I agree McHale isn't great, this is a player's league for a reason. Talent wins. Besides, which coach would you get? While we all want a Pops, how many leagues have a coach like Pops? The Spurs are the Spurs for a reason. You want Morey gone? Fine. Who are you considering replacing him with? Who is available that is legitimately better?

I am always in support for changes that could improve the team, but you have to have a plan first. You can't just say "WAH WAH WAH! I WANT THIS! I WANT THAT!" Don't be one of those moronic tools that only want to b**** and cry about everything, but never have any sort of concrete plan, proposed solution, or even idea.

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I don't think the argument that if Morey gets fired, there is no one better out there.

There is always someone else - sometimes better sometimes not.

I guess, if Morey followed that edict, we would still have Adelman and would be in a much better situation.

DD