1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I didn't know what it was!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Dec 24, 2015.

1. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

How do you feel about the temporary tattoos in candy like fruit roll ups?

2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Member

Wow... I must be very fortunate to have a mother that didn't have a stick up her ass whenever I can home from a school festival with face paint.

Thanks mom for not being an anal prissy. You da real MVP!

3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Member

Man, I wonder how miserable life as the child of parents like BamBam and ipaman are. Poor kids.

4. Duncan McDonuts

Saw this on the local news earlier in the week and just lol'd and rolled my eyes at this woman. I thought she was making a big uproar about something as harmless as henna and sounded very ignorant on the news, especially when she made some comments that I thought were contradictory to her stance.

Reading some of the responses of some parents here, my stance has lightened a little bit. I understand that parents don't want anything unnecessary marking their child, but henna is temporary and can be removed with some research. I still think it's pretty harmless, and some are making a big stink of it.

My biggest problem with this lady is going to the media and making a mountain out of a mole hill while looking ignorant. Her child wanted it done, and it is harmless. If she was upset, she could speak to the school about it and resolve it that way. Going to the media and whining about it is an extremely gross overreaction.

5. BamBam

BamBam Member

You know, it's obvious that you had a GREAT upbringing!

Don't change breh, you wouldn't want to disappoint!!! ... :eek:

6. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I wouldn't want my kid painted with a henna tattoo without my permission. I would also not really want my kid's school to even do it at all, even if they ask for my permission, because it puts the parent in the situation of either consenting to something or looking uptight compared to other parents who like that kind of stuff.

I guess the thing here is that she gave permission, but didn't understand what it was for because she couldn't understand what henna was, then went to the media about it and while doing so was wrong about it being a religious symbol.

So I would say the school shouldn't even have a project - even with permission - where they paint kids with something that is not effortlessly washed away, and this lady seems a bit uneducated for not knowing what henna is and a bit of an attention-seeker for making this a media story.

7. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Member

Thanks dude, even though it was the thinly vieled sarcasm. I'm glad you know how my upbringing was because of BBS comment posts stating my opinion that this mom has a metaphorical stick up her ass and anyone who believes her rightous indignation is justified has also a metaphorical stick up their ass:)

8. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Member

Why? Multiple posters have stated this but none of them have stated a reason why. Why are floral decorations from a bengin plant extract on your child's hand controversial enough for the child needing permission?

Maybe Fort Bend ISD is different but I didn't need any permission slips to have my face painted during elementary school festivals and no mother gave a ****.

9. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Member

Ouch. Easter eggs are a part of the Christian celebration of Easter. Wow, please continue to share with us your vast knowledge. Also:

Please answer the question. Do Hindu brides wear henna or mehndi art on wedding days?

10. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

We all got our faces painted like members of KISS at the elementary school halloween party. Much more invasive than henna, but we just live in different times now. We all have to just accept that our neighbors and fellow citizens will in general be getting their knickers twisted given the smallest excuse. Even friends will do this, clearly.

I'm moving into begrudging acceptance, and I'll just try to not be one of the perpetually knicker-twisted.

11. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I think they should ban perfume at school. Kids shouldn't inhale that every time they attend school, especially since there is no way to extract that from kids body after inhalation.

12. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

First of all, why would I have to explain myself for not wanting it? The onus is not on me as a parent to explain why I would NOT want something put on my child that doesn't immediately and easily go away. The onus is on those who want to do that.

Secondly, contrary to what you are saying, bobrek gave some reasons.

Thirdly, I would not want to encourage my child in thinking that getting something semi-permanent painted on you is great, if it even increases the chance of the child wanting a real tattoo later by 1 %. Others might not agree with this personal preference of mine, but again, the burden of explaining myself for that preference should not be on me. As a parent, that is my prerogative.

13. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Member

I just saw this. The mother has every right to be pissed.

1 person likes this.
  14. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I fail to see how asking for a signed permission slip before purposely putting anything that is not immediately cleanable on a child is such a difficult concept to grasp.

The child could be making their first communion, be part of a wedding ceremony or any number of activities where the not immediately cleanable tattoo would be a distraction or detriment.

15. malakas

malakas Member

I would oppose my kid coming back from school without my permission and covered in henna. I would complain to the school and the teacher. I wouldn't go to the media for sure and I know what henna is so if asked for permission I would say no.
    Because it is my child and I as a mother I am against tattoos or any kind of body marks esp with religious connotations. It is my way that I want to raise my child.
    Who are you to tell me what I should allow my kid to do or not?

I also want the school to ask permission (which I would say NO) for other staff that other parents may find not controversial like be taught creationism even as an alternative "theory" or any kind of religion lessons.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Pretty much any normal parent would be pissed off if their kid came home from school covered in semi permanent ink without their permission no matter what the design.

17. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Hmmm. Just came back to thread and found a non-surprising holiday strawman. :) Warms the heart, this American tradition.

Posting through the straw
    In a thread all made of hay
    O'er the logic we go
    Laughing all the way!

No: some religious beliefs are not more important than others. Luckily, I did not post that, even though it made for a nice one-line comeback to a phantasm for you.

But in any case, my favorite religions are those that can avoid getting their knickers in a wad over something trivial like a school activity involving henna, or having someone draw their prophet, or having a red coffee cup instead of one with stupid ornaments drawn on it. All of that is ridiculous to me.

I'm pretty equal opportunity when it comes to supporting and criticizing religions. May you and yours have an excellent, straw-free, holiday-cup-of-your-choosing New Year. :)

18. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Member

Immature logic from you. This is not about religion. That is a red herring. You've gotten sucked into the simplistic "divide everybody up" mentality. You can do better.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Do you really think he can do better? Why?

20. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Member

Under my coaching and mentorship, most everybody can improve themselves, even "stretch-cases" like B-Bob.