1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Donatas Motiejunas - X Factor

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DudeWah, Nov 23, 2014.

1. smileandnod

smileandnod Member

I wouldn't mind having dom shoot some mid range shots. Watching Blake griffin knock them down so consistently really made me remember how usesful they can be.

It's not that I don't agree with the rockets, in that 3 points and layups are our best plays, but I think of it more like football. You can't just run the same play every time cause the defense will start setting off on it. You need balence. Make them gaurd the whole court. Can you imagine if harden came off the pick and roll and had the d had to gaurd the pop not just the roll.

2. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

It seems like Blake Griffin makes all of those mid/long range jumpers now, but he actually only shoots 40% from there. You only have to shoot 27% from 3 to match that. At this point D-mo is certainly better than 27% from 3.

Not taking long jump shots isn't the Rockets problem, it never has been. 3's are better than long 2's. The problem is we have no offensive system aside from Harden that regularly gets good shots. Jacking up long 2's instead of 3's isn't gonna make our offense better.

3. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

No. DMO is not a max player. As

4. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

As a matter of fact, none of the PF on the team are max players.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Dmo will get a massive bump in salary this offseason - 7' left handed skill players who also play solid defense are near max players.....he is gonna get paid.

DD

6. HeyDude

HeyDude Member

Not sure if he doesn't do it well, or it's just a spacing thing? The Rockets love their 4s to stay on the 3 point line, unless it's Capella. I think that's why they're looking at M. Morris, I believe he has excellent mid range game, but I wonder if they would even incorporate it? He's not that good a 3 point shooter. It may end up another Lawson type of a trade if they expect him to shoot 3s. If they strictly want a spacer, just get Anderson and call it a day. I just dislike that our bigs either go for post ups or stay at the 3 point line. It's just limited basketball imo.

7. Ericonomist

Ericonomist Member

Under new salary cap, he won't get a max. But he will get what is equivalent to the max in the old salary cap.

8. omgTHEpotential

Would you rather give the max to less Howard or white Hakeem?

9. Modis

Modis Member

DMo of course and probably should in the long term develop his mid ranger. But now he just got back after injury and he is still working on his deadly post up game. Once he gets comfortable in the post and consistently makes open threes I don't see a problem him developing that mid ranger, and that mid ranger doesn't have to be perfect because you still have a player who will most likely go in the post and has more chance of scoring. But sometimes Dmo gets such an open looks, I mean just try couple of times and see how it is, because if other players on the team can shot 4/11 or 6/11 why Dmo cant...Like I said its probably not his role now but in the future he should develop that mid ranger...

#4570 Modis, Dec 21, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2019
  10. malakas

malakas Member

Nope. More.

Unless you want to tell me how teams are going to spend up to 65 million dollars in a free agency class that has Derozan as a top 5 FA?

Also Please someone show me proof that DMO is such an excellent defender.

11. ibm

ibm Member

dmo is still at an early stage of his career. his d and reb. are average. not bad, but avg. (maybe a bit above avg.)

but he's got the right attitude. he's shown a lot professionalism, sth. this team doesnt have enough.

wont say sky is the limit for him. but overall he can get a lot better.

12. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Watch the games yourself. Watch how he rotates quickly and correctly as a great team defender and lane clogger.

Shane Battier was an excellent defender and he didn't block shots.....Dmo is in more int that mold - a good solid defender that plays with smarts over athleticism.

DD

13. malakas

malakas Member

Oh I see that's how I ask. Just because the rest of the defence is **** doesn't mean DMO is any real of elite. So please give me a proof. Because I see him not able to defend the rim, make mistakes with not contesting sooner and getting backcuts. And his post defence isn't anything of elite either.

Proof that he is elite defender.

14. dharocks

dharocks Member

Shane blocked a lot of shots for a SF.

15. T_Man

T_Man Member

I agree with you Malakas...

DMo may be good on offense.. But his defense and rebounding needs a lot of work...

T_Man

1 person likes this.
  16. DaDakota

Supporting Member

I will agree with rebounding but his position defense is great.

DD

17. omgTHEpotential

Why are you twisting DaDakota's words to fit your silly narrative? No one is saying DMo is an elite defender. To be an elite defender in this league you have to have elite mobility, elite athleticism and elite wingspan - DMo doesn't have any of those things. He's what you'd call a positional defender. What he lacks in most parts he tries to compensate with playing smart, taking good angles on defense, not making too many mistakes. He won't lock anyone down, but he will hinder shots. And I'm ok with that.

So please stop spouting this "GIMME PROOF THAT HE'S AT HAKEEM LEVEL!11!1!" nonsense. And start reading other's post more carefully. Because it seem you lack reading comprehension.

18. T_Man

T_Man Member

I will say that his position defense has gotten a lot better... He still has a lot of work to do...

His offense is his strong point.. I love how he and Dwight look for each other on the block..

T_Man

19. omgTHEpotential

Another fact about DMo's positional defense & hustle that doesn't show up in the statsheet:

[​IMG]

20. malakas

malakas Member

Noone talked about DPOY level defence. Fine show me GREAT defence proof as DD's next post says.
    Blah blah blah proof apart from words?
    AHAHAHAH seriously? hat's what you get? Charges? Half of the people in that list are some of the worst defenders in their position.
    God help us if having DMO in a list among Monta, Brooks and Speights is a proof of defence!!!