1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[shhh! Let's hide!] Democratic debate Saturday night!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bigtexxx, Dec 18, 2015.

1. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Bernie Sanders' side said it best..."What, was Christmas Eve booked?"

The democrats, in a shameful effort to ensure nobody watches their debate, have scheduled it for this Saturday night.

I doubt many will watch, or care, as the democrats have no excitement around their campaign or their lying, fat grandmother candidate who has failed at every political position she's been in. Not to mention her marriage of convenience to Bill, even despite him cheating on her repeatedly.

Link below from the bastion of conservatism, the NY Times.

http://www.nytimes.com/politics/fir...-bristle-at-holding-debates-on-weekends/?_r=0

If a presidential debate is held and nobody watches, does it really happen?

While viewers are expected to watch the third Democratic debate on Saturday night, they are unlikely to be doing so in the droves that tuned into the Republican debates or the Democratic face-off that was held on a weeknight. While some of that interest on the Republican side can be attributed to the Donald J. Trump effect, critics of the Democratic National Committee’s scheduling process are also upset that the party is muting its message by holding debates when people are less likely to tune in.

There was much discussion over the number of Democratic debates that would be held in this cycle, with Martin O’Malley and Senator Bernie Sanders pushing for more opportunities to face off publicly with Hillary Clinton. They ultimately settled on six, of which two were scheduled for Saturday evenings and one for a Sunday.

As in the previous Democratic debate, which was held at the same time as an important college football game, the candidates will clash on Saturday night with the New York Jets and the Dallas Cowboys.

Mr. O’Malley, who has been the most vocal about the timing of the debates, complained about the issue in August.

“They’ve scheduled it during shopping season, December 19th,” Mr. O’Malley said. “I don’t know why that is. I think it’s out of a false sense that they have to circle the wagons around the inevitable front-runner.”

A spokeswoman for Mr. O’Malley’s campaign said that avoiding prime-time debate slots was a way for the Democratic Party to “protect” Mrs. Clinton, and that it had given Mr. Trump and the Republicans a better platform to express their views.

Mr. Sanders’s campaign said that he did not have any input about when the debates would take place and that he was hoping for more opportunities to discuss the issues with his rivals for the nomination.

“We’re playing the hand we were dealt,” said Michael Briggs, a spokesman for Mr. Sanders. “I guess Christmas Eve was booked.”

The Clinton campaign did not respond to a request for comment.

2. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Your obsession with Hillary Clinton's appearance is really odd. I bet you think Thatcher was quite the looker.

3. Amiga

Amiga I get vaunted sacred revelations from social media
    Supporting Member

It's dumb and corrupt of the DNC.

1 person likes this.
  4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Pretty much. They're playing not to lose, which is a pretty good formula for losing.

I think the strategy here is that people will still pay attention to the highlight reel and the online discussion of the debate after the fact. So long as mainstream media says that Hillary acquitted herself in the debate and she can provide 30 seconds of material for them to quote, then nothing should change for the democratic primary. There's less opportunity for something to go viral and out of DNC control. I do still see a risk though that Trump will be the one to steal the spotlight of the debate from a thousand miles away.

I think the Democrats have a terrible strategy here. They have no energy and no engagement with the voting public. They aren't advocating any change to the status quo. There's nothing to motivate anyone to vote for Democrats. They give possession to the Republicans to make their case and hoping that the Republicans will fumble it. I know folks are licking their chops for a Hillary-Trump/Cruz/whatever showdown thinking she's going to turn it on in the general. And maybe that'll be enough (especially if it's Trump), but her opponent is going to come in with a running start.

5. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Obviously the DNC has their sights set on Hillary. The RNC at least pretends to adhere to democratic principals. SMH.

6. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Well, everything you have predicted so far has come up aces.

7. JuanValdez

That was back in May and based on nothing in particular, but obviously it's shaking out to be wrong. I like Bernie and all, but no viable candidate has chosen to run against her. It's fine. I'm sure I'm wrong about all kinds of things.

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

As far as the Demos are concerned. . . What's wrong with Status Quo?

They do still need the voter turn out to be reasonably high

Rocket River

9. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm guessing one thing that would drive Democratic turnout would be candidates like Trump, Carson, or Cruz, unless the Democrats were so unbelievably far out in the lead that fewer people bother to go vote.

10. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

As you have stated so often yourself, resorting to name calling only highlights your lack of a solid case.

11. Anticope

Anticope Member

We all know how much Tex despises hypocrisy so I'm SURE that he criticizes Trump just as much for his extra-marital dealings in his first marriage as he criticizes Hillary. Or maybe it was just Ivana's fault, gotta keep your man satisfied, amirite?

12. Rashmon

I think the strategy of allowing the GOP to willingly demonstrate to America how moribund they have become is a good call. There will be plenty of ammunition from the clown show debates for the Dem nominee to use when it is time.

13. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Well, bigtexxx is right if he's saying Hillary is less womanly than Cruz. Or Cruz has better makeup and bigger boobs at least, if that's important to you.

As for the demo's laying low, I actually think it's cynically smart. The media is going to keep building election 2016 into an all-consuming frenzy. People get burned out. There's plenty of time in 2016 between January and November to build energy. Getting in people's faces now, in the click-click-click age of short attention spans, is kind of dumb, IMHO.

#13 B-Bob, Dec 18, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
  14. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte -

15. Rashmon

Exactly.
    [​IMG]

16. JuanValdez

Not much, so far as I'm concerned. I'd vote Obama again if I could. But, it's easier to get people excited with a proactive message (let's change Washington!) than a reactive message (You don't want Trump to be president, do you?).

17. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Is this the way the fringe conservatives create controversy? Save it.

The dems aren't putting on a dysfunctional show just for the hell of it. The Republican debates had enough foolish behavior to last until the election.

18. Major

Major Member

Trump has successfully managed to take all the media spotlight at this point - it's one of the things frustrating the other GOP candidates so much. Nothing Hillary or Bernie say or do is really going to get coverage at this point unless it's outrageous or bad, so they are better off just staying in the background. Only a tiny fraction of Americans are paying attention to the election right now - there will be plenty of time for a proactive message starting in the summer when the coverage is more balanced.

19. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

I agree, but you really should say the DNC instead of the Democrats.Certainly Sanders is engaged wit the public and is advocating changes in the status quo.
    If Hillary runs the typical cautious Dem campaign it will get down to a few votes in Ohio, PA and Florida with the GOP keeping control of Congress and gridlock as usual. Of course for the corporate/conseravative elite that is just fine.

Maybe that is why folks found that in recent broadcasts on the ABC Nightly News Sanders received 1 minute and Trump 81 minutes of coverage.

20. Amiga

Amiga I get vaunted sacred revelations from social media
    Supporting Member

Sanders campaign sues DNC after database breach