1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UT Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Rockets1616, Aug 17, 2011.

1. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

What's a measly million? That couldn't be spent better at a university. I'll remember that next time UT calls for more money.

Seriously though, the University fully supports and is committed to Strong.....for one year. That's what Strong should have to deal with. Do most coaches get a new offensive coordinator every year? When you look at HIS screw ups - Notre Dame no-show, TCU historic disaster, Iowa State blowout shutout, and West Virginia shutout - the University should have fired him.

2. oakdogg

Fixed it. My bad

3. Major

Major Member

Those are midseason coaching changes when the coaches you want aren't yet available. Miami had an interim coach and Georgia was still playing their season. Within a week of those things concluding, Richt made his move. Fuente was hired 1 day after his season ended. These are examples of quick coaching decisions - not ones that drag out for weeks on end and go into recruiting dead periods.

As I said, look at the end of this season and how quickly every position got filled. We're a week from the end of the regular season and every major job has been resolved. That is always how it happens - coaching searches basically never go into January because of recruiting reasons. 2.5 weeks is an eternity - the exceptions might be when a coach unexpectedly leaves because no one was prepared for a coaching search or when you keep swinging and missing on guys you want.

But regardless, you asked what other coaches Texas was interested in. There is plenty of documentation that they went after Saban and Mora, and lots of rumors about Briles.

4. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Who knows what's true and what spreads because it's what people want to believe.

5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

This is very unlike you.

Why don't you post some data points rather than just hyperbole?

If 16 days truly is a. eternity than surely there is something you can point to as a comparable.

You said "look at all the vacancies this offseason " I did. Them you said they don't count because they're midseason. Ok fine.

What am I supposed to look at?

6. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

So you're not okay with potentially wasting a million for the University's sake but okay with them throwing 15 million down the drain. Makes sense.

And not sure why you keep bringing up that Strong should have been fired. Your points on that are absolutely valid and not disagreeing with you. But they decided not to and it's time to move on, even if just for a year. If they come out and say they fully support and are committed to Strong, then they needed to back it up which they did at the end.

7. Major

Major Member

You certainly did not. You looked at 3. There were, I believe, 17 openings at the end of the season. Look at how many were filled 1 week later. It's pretty simple - it's a wealth of data. If you don't want to do the research yourself, there's an entire thread here dedicated to it that lists the openings and who filled them. For most teams, the season ended on November 29th. A week later, at least 15 of the openings were filled. In addition, additional teams like Memphis who lost their coach during that week also filled their positions. None of these original 17 teams took anywhere close to 2.5 weeks after relieving their current head coach to have a new one in place.

In total, 21 new head coaches have been hired since the end of the season, including teams that fired their head coaches or lost theirs to other jobs and had to replace them. 3 teams currently have vacancies - BYU, who unexpectedly lost their HC to Virginia; Georgia Southern, who lost their HC 2 days ago; and ULM, who fired their coach 10 days ago but have no money to hire anyone.

Is that enough data for you?

8. Major

Major Member

Can you now name all the examples of coaching searches that took multiple weeks and went into January, since you insist it's a completely normal thing to happen?

9. SamFisher

Lol, yeah when b****y Major shows up to try to obfuscate a claim that cool Vulcan Major made without knowing what he was talking about, it generally is a sufficient data point for me.

10. SamFisher

By "into January" you mean January 3rd. By multiple weeks you mean: 2

Hyperbole and exaggeration is what got you in this bind, my friend. It shan't allow you to escape.

11. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Which vacancy are you guys talking about? If it was Texas and Charlie Strong then it was a 3 week process (14th to 5th).

12. bejezuz

bejezuz Contributing Member

We weren't looking for an experienced OC, we were looking for an OC that could successfully install an air-raid spread offense. We're struggling to recruit the top offensive talent in the state because nobody wants to play in our outdated offense when they can go get crazy yards playing the offense they learned in HS. There were only so many of those guys available who have coached under guys like Leach and Briles.

Besides that, most up-and-coming OCs were hoping to jump up to HC positions this year because so many HCs positions were vacant. Going all-in on a young guy like Gilbert was a combination of it being a seller's market for OCs this year and wanting a very specific system from your OC.

13. Major

Major Member

You asked for evidence of other coaches Texas went after - multiple people provided detailed articles on that. You asked for evidence of short coaching searches - I provided 15+ this year alone. You claimed you looked at all of this season's coaching vacancies - something that was completely untrue (or you just ignored the fact that all of them showed the opposite of what you were arguing).

Yet, you still can't produce even a single example of what you claim is perfectly normal. I don't think you should be talking about people making unfounded claims. You simply had no clue how coaching searches work and don't seem to know how to extract yourself from that mess so you now start throwing out the insults, per your usual strategy (simpler answer: get over it and admit you were wrong).

14. SamFisher

Major, don't worry - I plan on posting a graph for your viewing pleasure when we get a few more data points of these vacancies and the "eternal" 2013 search that took "forever" so we can view the data in a way that is most illuminating.

Most assuredly, your words here will not be forgotten.

P.S./Edit - for those of you following along, my friend Major is *lying* again to bolster his bbs cred in a vile and pointless e-fight.
    Look at this:

Here is what I wrote:

How do you interpret that as a "claim" that I looked up "all"? I looked up 3 and then stopped, due to laziness/apathy. That's what I meanta by "I don't feel like looking anmore (sic)"

b****y Major is making up fake quotes, attributing them to me, then using them to declare victory. Good move, Ted Cruz. :rolleyes: Let me know when Rational Major is back in the building.

#6714 SamFisher, Dec 17, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
  15. oakdogg

I bolded the part that is probably the biggest factor IMO. I guess I just expected UT would have at least been able to get an offensive coordinator who currently calls plays. Like I said earlier, I liked the Berkley guy.

Why are there no posts talking about UT's chances at Kyler Murray or another big name transfer? Does UT just have no chance at them?

16. oakdogg

UT can't change past contracts, so that's not a consideration for me. They do have a fiscal responsibility for future deals.

17. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Does Strong have a shot at Kyler Murray? Or we looking at another year of swoopes and heard?

18. gucci888

This doesn't make any sense at all.

19. gucci888

Since Murray wouldnt be eligible next season even if he came, most likely looking at Swoopes and Heard unless Gilbert brings in a JUCO.

20. oakdogg

I think I misunderstood your previous post. I now think your point was that the $15M was the money we would have paid Strong and would have been wasted, correct? I thought the $15M was a reference to a buyout or something.

Regardless, I'm not trying to make a big deal about the $1M. I'm just saying I'm not going to hate on the negotiators for keeping the University's financials in mind.