1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

UT Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Rockets1616, Aug 17, 2011.

1. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Yeah even though an offer was never confirmed. We also interviewed James Franklin but don't believe an offer was made.

2. gucci888

Standard is 2 or 3 but given the circumstances, perfectly understandable why they'd want 3 to come on board.

There's a lot to like about Gilbert but this 2nd attempt with Fenves and Perrin on board has more to do with damage control and saving their own asses IMO. You can't say all the stuff they said and sit on the sidelines while Strong goes down in flames.

3. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

I guess I don't really see why Fenves and Perrin have to sweat over it. People turn down job offers everyday. Just a little silly.

4. Major

Major Member

I certainly think Texas wanted Saban, though I said at the time it was an absurd pipe dream. I think they absolutely wanted Briles - and the reports were that Briles was interested as well but wanted the job without an interview. There were lots of reports that Texas offered Mora the job but he then re-upped with UCLA. I have no idea how many other people Texas pursued, but given how long the search took, I suspect they chased some other big names that they couldn't get.

Unless this is all made up, here's the info on Mora:

http://texas.247sports.com/Bolt/Tex...-Coaching-Job-Private-Jet-Priveleges-31048673

5. gucci888

You can't say you support Strong but then deny him his first and second choices because of money out of all things.

6. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Gilbert accepts offer to be UT coordinator reports everyone.

7. oakdogg

I don't see why you can't. You can support someone without giving them everything they want. If they're expected to do that, why do they even have to approve these deals? Just have Strong do all the negotiating. Strong's had more resources at his disposal than 99% of coaches.

8. gucci888

Strong wasn't asking for a private island. 3 year deals for coordinators is pretty standard and any coach worth mentioning was going to demand it. Denying that 3rd year is basically saying Strong isn't going to be here much longer so better not spend the money.

Btw I'm not defending Strong and don't think he has done a whole lot to help his own cause. But with regards to Fenves and Perrin, you have to be disappointed with how this entire thing was handled.

1 person likes this.
  9. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

How long the search took?

It took like 2.5 weeks between macks resignation and Strongs press conference

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

Shawn Watson and Joe Wickline will not return.

Gilbert named OC & QB coach
    Mattox named OL coach & run game coordinator

11. Major

Major Member

In NCAA Football terms, that's forever. Look at all the vacancies this offseason and how quickly after the season ended that they were filled. Due to recruiting rules and the like, most of these jobs are discussed behind the scenes long before the "official" search.

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Why didn't they just get Applewhite? He sucks but when Herman gets there next year at least they wont be writing checks to a couch potato.

13. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Is it possible that they're just amateurs and don't know how this stuff is supposed to work?

14. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Ok. Frank Beamer announced his retirement on November 1. Justin Fuente was hired on November 29
    28 days.

Rutgers - 8 days.

Miami. -fired coach in October, hired Mark Richt last week

I don't feel like looking up anmore but it seems like you are wrong in that 2.5 weeks is "forever" for a position to be vacant.

15. oakdogg

Kinda seems like the coaches were just terminated earlier in those examples. It'd be more relevant if there were examples where a coach wasn't hired until mid-January or something. Earlier the better for recruiting, I figure.

16. oakdogg

Anybody know enough to say why Gilbert is so special we had to have him? All I know is he didn't call plays at his last two spots. I don't know how you can tell what a co-OC has been responsible for. He could be a bum and the other did everything significant. We used to pluck coordinators from legit schools like Auburn at will and now we're begging Tulsa guys to come here.

17. oakdogg

Well, they gave in anyway. Still seems like we're setting ourselves up to pay ppl after Strong is fired. I can't blame administrators for wanting to avoid that. Strong had two chances b/f (hired Watson, kept Watson) to get it right before and blew it - how about he and everyone else assign blame where it should be?

18. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Seems like they could 'avoid that' by firing Strong, if that's such a big concern. Although I can't say that I'm surprised that a Mack loyalist wouldn't get that, preferring to have Charlie twist in the wind.

19. oakdogg

Hey, I love Mack, but I was ready for a change by the end. So I guess that's another thing you're wrong about (we shouldn't expect to compete with TCU, road games should be blowout losses, etc.). I don't think Strong deserves to come back next year, but I hope it works out. Just sick of ppl like you blaming everyone but Strong for his failures.

20. gucci888

I don't blame them either. But don't come out and say you fully support Strong but then deny him coaches because of what, a million bucks? Like I said, Strong hasn't done much to help his cause but if they decide to assign blame and that blame is on Strong, then fire him and lets move on. It's clear that they were not willing to do that so might as well go all in if you can, the in-between bs is the worst thing the university can do right now.