1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UT Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Rockets1616, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

And RG3 + Manziel will be out there, he has full control of personnel.

2. gucci888

gucci888 Member

Apparently the University President is flying out to Tulsa tonight to try to salvage things. And the $hit show continues...

3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I don't blame them. Problem is, they should have been decisive and fired him.

4. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Member

If there's no viable replacement right now, I don't see a point in firing Strong until next season.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

The sooner you realize that someone is not RIGHT for the job the better it is to move on as quickly as possible.

DD

6. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Member

Fenves, Perrin and Strong.

7. Brando2101

Brando2101 Member

I don't understand how anyone thinks this is UT's fault. It's the entire world that is giving Strong grief and we all know how schools operate. If a coach can't turn around a team in 3 years then he is gone. The school made a public endorsement for him which is all they can do outside of giving him a contract extension.

I just hope that all this doesn't make Shane Buechele decommit. He's a QB that can run and he has an accurate arm for a high school QB. I can totally see recruits having the same reservations as the coordinators.

8. gucci888

gucci888 Member

A lot of finger pointing going on right now. 247 put the blame on Strong and they're getting killed for it. Don't know whose fault it is and don't really care at this point, they need to announce a hire tonight and get back to recruiting.

9. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Member

But who are you going to hire to replace him? If there is nobody out there at the moment, they can just wait till someone emerges.

10. Brando2101

Brando2101 Member

I don't think it's really Strong's fault. It's just the situation. It would have been better if the year would have been a little better so everyone kind of sensed that Strong was on the hot seat next year but the public outcry has been so loud this year. Even the Texas Rangers twitter account wanted him axed :)

UT is hosting 6-7 recruits this weekend. It's pretty awkward that the coach might be late because he has to fly across the country to plead with an assistant coach from Tulsa to come work for him. I can't imagine UT flipping any of the guys this weekend that are coming in with existing commitments.

11. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

At this point, I'm hoping this team comes out with a fire next year. I hope they are really successful and all of those administrators are forced to eat crow and look like buffoons as they save face by lying about believing in him the whole time.

12. Brando2101

Brando2101 Member

I don't understand how it's the administrators fault? No one at UT has said anything about Strong being in the how seat. It's just that WE ALL KNOW enough about college football to know that Strong is out next year if he can't pull it together.

13. Major

Major Member

They don't have to say it - they can show it by the length of contracts they offer to the assistants. If you want him to fix it and get a good OC, you have to be willing to give the OC a fair contract. If you're not willing to do a longer deal because you think you might fire the coach next year, then that's your choice, but it absolutely affects your ability to get the best for your team.

14. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Member

Philly fans want him gone. His players hate how they're millionaires but treated like college kids. If Texas wants him they'll get him. Even if Phily axes him at the end of the season you don't think the heavy donors, alumni and even the administration would give him the word...just sit back and relax in 2026, hold tight, you'll be one of IF not the highest paid college coaches in NCAA history?

What other major program could offer him what Texas could who doesn't already have their head coach in place?

15. Brando2101

Brando2101 Member

Is 5 years for a coordinator standard?

16. Major

Major Member

I was under the impression Cumbie wanted 3 and UT would only give 2? I have no idea what is standard, but if there's more uncertainty associated with the job, you're going to have to overpay to get what you want.

17. SamFisher

SamFisher Member

And subsequent reporting has revealed that discussion to be futile pipe dreams about 12 months too late. The article contains the entire time line. Saban reached out in 2012 with affirmative desire to move. Didn't go anywhere because Mack/Delos held on. Was hemming and hawing through 2013 but signed the extension, just prior to Macks denouement. Then Texas coaching search commenced.

Do you agree that Strong was the 4th option when he was hired, which was wees after Saban committed to Alabama ? That was the contention at issue via notorious dip**** Ziggy.

An alternate theory, which has more basis in reality, is that Texas interviewed a few candidates after Mack finally stepped down and picked the one they liked the best.

Who were the other 2 options that spurned Texas, if this is the theory you believe?

#6677 SamFisher, Dec 11, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
  18. oakdogg

oakdogg Member

What is so great about this Tulsa guy that we have to embarrass ourselves at this level? Geez, we look pathetic........

19. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Member

I haven't read the article, but didn't Jim Mora tell Texas don't even bother? He was UCLA all the way.

20. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Member

Texas needs to fire Strong if they want a quality offensive coordinator.

A comedy of errors over in Austin