1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chuck Says James Harden & Dwight Howard are Reason Rockets Suck

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Dec 9, 2015.

1. ballplayer

ballplayer Contributing Member

It's rare that your two guard is your leader. Your leader is normally your point guard, but your point guard has to have a alpha mentality. Ty Lawson is proving not to be that dude. In my opinion there are only maybe 5 guys that can take the ball out of Jame's hands and make him a better player at the same time. CP3, Kyle Lowry, Eric Bledsoe, Russel Westbrook, and Steph Curry. Rondo and Tony Parker are possibilities as well but non of these guys are coming here, so it's going to be interesting to see what Morey makes of this season.

2. YOLO

YOLO Member

who in the world taught you that

3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Himself

4. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Kobe, MJ and Clyde disagree.

5. ballplayer

Leaders are not always the top scorers or rebounders on the team. They are the ones who make sure everyone else is were they are suppose to be and doing what they are suppose to do on the floor, they put everybody in position to be the best they can be. Kobe had Derek Fisher, Clyde had Terry Porter and Dream(Rare), MJ was rare as they come.

By nature Two Guards want to score and that is there number one concern as it is James. See the Rockets have a system that but they have no one to run it properly.

6. YOLO

YOLO Member

Lebron james, dwayne wade, tim duncan, draymond green all disagree. need anymore examples of that joke of a statement. "Your leader is normally your pg" lol

7. ballplayer

Tim Duncan has Tony Parker and before that it was Avery.

Draymond is a glue guy, like a Ariza or Shane Battier.

Miami had Mario Chalmers who lead to a lesser degree because he had the big three, but I will give you Lebron but again he is rare and plays point forward but has never won one with out a true PG.

You may think the statement is a joke but whatever man. Every one has a opinion.

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying it can't come from another position at all but normally your PG is the "Coach on floor" the person that coach and organization trust to carry out the game plan.

#87 ballplayer, Dec 10, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
  8. YOLO

YOLO Member

you should probably realize the definition of a leader when it comes to basketball. There's nothing normally its your pg about it. Youre either a leader or youre not regardless of position.

Your response is this player had that player which is irrelevant bc the players mentioned are leaders for their respective teams.

9. ballplayer

I disagree. It's the NBA every team has gifted players who can score and rebound and block shots, but not every team has solid, good, or great leadership. That is the difference between teams that win and teams that don't. Some of the guys I mentioned were not the greatest players when you look at the stats but you could tell that when they called a set on offense or defense the rest of the team trusted and respected them enough to do it.

James and Dwight need that type of leadership out in front of them.

10. JonRetro

JonRetro Contributing Member

Harden is on pace to break the record for most turnovers in a season and most turnovers avg in a season (4.8 TOPG).. he has 110 right now. currently on pace to have 394 turnovers which would break the nba record by Artis Gilmore with 366. thats throwing away 28 more possessions along with his crap defense.. and its not like hes putting up crazy asst numbers either(6.9ast). he just doesnt pass much and he turns it over ALOT. this is our so called 'superstar' who is leading by example.. no wonder we are such a sh!tshow right now. coming off back to back 7 turnover games. my god man please value every possession, dam turnover machine

11. Dirty Deca

Dirty Deca Member

So do you take in to account when his passes lead to wide OPEN shots.. yet we miss.. Because remember as a team we have shot horribly all season long.... The team as a whole has been missing wide open looks that should be makes in the NBA (from 3 and point blank) Just saying looking directly at the assist stat can be misleading correct? :cool:

12. YOLO

YOLO Member

what exactly are you disagreeing with. Just because you can call a set doesn't make you a leader. That's not even close to what a leader is. And fyi pg's aren't the only ones that call sets in the NBA. it can come from anyone on the floor. you have some belief that the pg is the only one that can run a team in all aspects which is completely false. you need a reality check. sounds like your stuck in some video game mode.

You're simply stating the obvious bolded above.

13. JonRetro

JonRetro Contributing Member

yes correct, but that still doesnt excuse him for my biggest point.. he turns the damn ball over wayyy to much.. and its not all forcing the passes either, he has these lazy passes and bounce passes thru 3 defenders that lead to fast break for the other team. just saying im tired of james harden.. coming off an MVP type year, i expect better. but i think this is who he is and his peak was last year..

14. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I loved Barkley when he was a Rocket and he's entertaining but he WOULD know what it's like to be a pseudo-leader or what it's like to not have a leader around.

Dwightmare? Barkley did almost the same thing when he worked his way out of Philly despite the organization attempting to appease their star

Feeling too confident in one's abilities like Harden? To paraphrase, "We're in the butt kicking company and business is good" Remember that Chuck?

Going from the franchise/marquee player to deferring to another player because he could no longer "lead" like Dwight? "if you can't beat them, join them" he pretty much said when he got shipped to Houston.

I'm not bothered by what Kenny Smith said because he was always a role player and he's never been in Barkley's, Howard's, Harden's, Dream's, etc. shoes so whatever he said he apples to those players' oranges.

Barkley? He has an axe to grind with Houston already and he don't like any of today's players save for Curry and Duncan...players who are so far different than him that I find it kind of ironic.

Was what he said true? Probably but it's not like we're getting any world shattering analysis from someone that was a proven winner either.

15. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

Sorry, but this line of conversation is nonsense. There is no correlation whatsoever.

Also, this idea of leader is extremely vague and useless.

16. digitallinh

digitallinh Member

The leader on offense is the guy the offense is initiated on. In our case it's harden. Doesn't matter who the point guard is. Some offenses require the point guard to initiate, others like ours do not. The spurs for example had many years when the offense revolved around Duncan, others where it was more Parker.

Theres leadership both on and off the court. At the end of the day though, your best player needs to be one of your leaders, at the very least if not the vocal guy, the guy who sets the example for the rest. Every great team has more than one leader filling various on court/off court leadership roles.

But at the same time, every championship teams best player was also the guy who led by example through his work ethic and effort. It just works a lot easier when your best player is also the effort leader.

Hakeem, Jordan, David Robinson, Duncan, Kobe/Shaq, LeBron, Wade, Dirk, Ben Wallace, Curry.

The analysts are right. We're never going to win a ring with harden and Howard in their current forms. Harden still has time to grow up and change, Howards days of being the best player on a title team are pretty much over. My opinion, you need him to be the third best player on a title team, and certainly not one of your leaders.

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Me too.
    He basically gutted our team and set up back 15 yrs
    in order to come here and Ring w****

then b****ed and moaned when it didn't work out
    because he was too lazy to switch off a bear hug pick that should have been offensive holding . .. .and challenge a shot by john stockton

F*** Ch***

As for the Rockets
    The firing of McHale may have been a mistake.
    ANYONE who thought the fix was going to happen within a month of a coaching change during the season was delusional . . .
    Doesn't matter who the next coach was . . . ..

The Rockets are a work in Progress

Rocket River

18. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Even though I met him while he was with the Rockets, and had a good conversation. I still can't stand that jackass kissing melon head.

That's the TRUTH! Take that all of suck up 99'ers out there.

19. thaGREATwall

thaGREATwall Member

I just have one question. Why the hell would someone want to brag about being a 99er? Doesn't that mean you're an unemployed bum?

20. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

You are of the original members to the board and when it was founded...

That's why...

T_Man