1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2015-2016] Jeremy Lin as a Charlotte Hornet

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by swyyyguy, Jul 8, 2015.

1. yoeddy

yoeddy Contributing Member

But their names won't tell you if they are American or not. Please own the mistake. This is getting embarrassing for you.

2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You answered your own question

3. tinman

Supporting Member

You are the one with the comprehension mistake.

If i told you that cartoon had Disney Characters.
    And then said Mickey, Pluto and Donald, you understand it more clearly.

Comprende dumbo? ?

4. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Do you really enjoy your fandom being minimized to following a single player and solely focusing on whether or not that player has contributed to the team's total victories?

It just seems like it would be boring to only follow a team because of one person. And then, how do you even determine that player's value? There is no definitive way to show that Jeremy is tied to any of the Hornet's success, unless you start digging into data, which isn't nearly as complimentary as Lin's fan base.

I guess I'm not familiar with the whole mindset of supporting one player on the basis of a subjective value that can be easily discounted, or just being satisfied that a specific player is given consistent minutes, even if their actual output hasn't warranted time on the court.

When Yao was drafted, I got my first taste of the "player-only fan." Certain fans didn't care if the Rockets lost, as long as Yao "got his." When Jeremy was here, I became a bit more accustomed to reading "die hard" posts in the GARM. However, I am a bit surprised, and somewhat disheartened, when I read that fans jump from team to team, only because of one player.

I guess it's similar to all of the LeBron/Harden/Kobe/Steph/Melo fans. However, those fans normally like these superstars BECAUSE of their statistical superiority over most of the NBA. I get that sentiment of being a fan of greatness, even if I don't follow that mantra as a loyal Rockets fan.

I'm wondering if the Yao/Jeremy-only fandom can be attributed to cultural/heritage/ethnic differences. Perhaps, this type of "fandom" wants Lin to do well as a way to recognize Jeremy's background before becoming a professional basketball player. That's not an attempt at being offensive either, but with Yao, it did seem like many of his fans wanted Yao to be recognized for being Chinese, and moreover, they wanted him to do well, even at the expense of the rest of the team.

I'm just wondering if other Lin fans are as carefree about the Hornets, as long as Jeremy "gets his" and has a few good games here and there. It's all complex.

I guess I'd just rather stick with our Htown guys in red and be loyal to the team as a whole.

5. yoeddy

This is not a good analogy. I know that Mickey, Pluto and Donald are names of Disney characters. I do not know that these names are "not American":

SAI M
    SHAURYA ARYA
    SOMAK RAYCHOWDHURY
    ATHENA YENKO
    JENNIFER ONG

I actually know someone named Jennifer Ong, and she is an American living in NYC. So this does not prove that these writers are not American. You are making assumptions about their citizenship based on their names, when in fact their names do not indicate their citizenship at all. You need to own your mistake here. You are digging your hole deeper and deeper, and it is embarrassing for you.

6. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

tinmac already dug his own grave. BURY HIM!

7. tinman

Supporting Member

Go check out if it's the same Jennifer and she got a work visa in Australia to work for a fake us publication

8. yoeddy

I had a hometown team in the NJ Nets. I was a huge fan of my hometown team, starting back in the days with Mookie Blaylock and Sam Bowie, lived thru the Kenny Anderson and Derrick Coleman years, and was able to claim being a "pure Nets fan" when Jason Kidd led the team to the NBA finals. I loved my hometown team. But then, my hometown team abandoned my hometown, and that stung, so I am a fan without a team. I like the NBA and want to become a fan of a team. So I agree with you that it sucks that my fandom is being "minimized" by my using a single player to find a team. But if I don't use a single player to get interested in a team, what else would I do? Should I just simply say "I"m going to be a fan of the Houston Rockets" with no basis other than drawing a team name out of a hat? No...I need to find something about that team that I like (in this case a player), and then see if the rest of the team is something that I like. I actually liked the Rockets in Lin and Harden's first season...loved the pace they played at, the way they ran, etc. And I loved the fact that I had an emotional connection to the Rockets before with Yao (and Van Gundy, quite honestly). But I grew to dislike Harden and his love of strippers, and became disenchanted with McHale's "clap harder" coaching. So while I like the Rockets, once Lin was traded, I lost interest.

If Jeremy Lin was not in the NBA, I would probably look for a team to become a fan of based on some other criteria. Maybe I'd be a Spurs fan because of their style of play and the character of the players on the team. I am actually a life long hater of the Knicks and Lakers, and the fact that Lin was on both of those teams irked me a bit...was more tolerant of the Knicks because that's where Lin was able to break out, but had no interest whatsoever in becoming a Lakers fan other than wanting to see Lin help them succeed (which obviously didn't happen).

Anyways, enough about me. I am unapologetically a Lin fan, but I am enough of an NBA fan to know that fandom should be about team...so I am happy that the Hornets are having a good season and that Lin is a good contributor to their success. Do I want more? Absolutely...but Lin has to earn it and it has to make basketball sense. What he's doing in Charlotte makes sense to me. How he was treated in LA does not. I actually felt like he was treated ok in Houston, which is why I'm still on this forum (and I'm not on any LA forums).

1 person likes this.
  9. tinman

Supporting Member

If one of those writers was named hulk hogan, then i would believe he was a real american

10. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Thanks for the honest response. I'm not sure if you're in the same mold as the Lin-Only Fan. You come across more as a fan of basketball, the NBA, with your Lin interest being secondary. That's cool.

And, I agree about you becoming a fan of a team, possibly BECAUSE of a player. For most of us Rockets fans, that player was obviously Hakeem, and as you alluded to, we didn't draw names out of a hat. Good point.

Now, how can you admit to being a fan of that haircut though??!?:eek::p

In all seriousness though, I do think Jeremy is trying to hard to build his brand, and I think his ego is a bit damaged after losing a lot of his hype after his great stint in NY. He seems to be trying everything from outlandish hairstyles and social media/video stunts to gain some sort of spotlight. I find that to be annoying, and I wish he would let his game do the talking.

1 person likes this.
  11. yoeddy

I have never met anyone named Hulk in America.

12. boiler

boiler Member

Yes what's up with his latest haircut? This is the stuff posters here should focus on instead of his play on the court.

13. shtinkee

shtinkee Member

Isn't "Hogan" an Irish surname?

14. yoeddy

I like the Dragonball Z spiky hair, but am not a fan of the man-bun. But I can also tell that he's getting lazy putting up the spiky hair (it doesn't look as Anime as it should), so if he's not going to put in the effort to make it look good, he should just cut it short.

I actually think he's the happiest now that he's been since Linsanity. His coaches seem very supportive of him, and he appears to have a good friendship with his teammates (who also are very supportive of him)...and of course, the team is winning, which is the most important thing to him.

15. yoeddy

You are correct. This is proof that Hulk Hogan is not American.

16. Panda23

Panda23 Member

Nah it's good very popular haircut down under

17. tinman

Supporting Member

Lol.

I swear lin fans do no research.
    Horrible detectives

18. yoeddy

We are Asian. We are excellent at math and research.

19. tinman

Supporting Member

Find me hulk hogan

20. yoeddy

[​IMG]