1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Disney World Visit Information

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by pirc1, Dec 9, 2015.

1. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Any helpful information on visiting Disney World? We are going to drive there. Hotels, attractions, restaurants, etc.

Is it a good idea to drive down to Daytona Beach from Orlando and go back on the same day?

2. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

Plan way ahead.
    Talk to MadMax he has some good stuff
    When are you going? If you want to email me through the board I will share what I learned from our trip. It is nothing secretive, I just don't have time to type it out here right now. It would probably be a very long post but I'd be happy to share.

3. pirc1

We are going around Christmas to New Year for about a week, you can email me at mpe364@gmail.com.

4. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

For Disney, it pretty much is what it is. If you are going to Disney, you are going to Disney. All I can say is Fast Pass is your friend for the popular rides. Right now my little one is in the Magic Kingdom phase, and we have friends that actually live in Celebration which is a large Woodlands-type neighborhood literally 2 miles from the parks... so we go to Disney alot even though I'd rather vacation at about 100 different places in Florida alone.

-Eating at the park isn't an issue. The food isn't insanely expensive, and not terrible. I'd rather eat there than have to leave and come back.
    -Kissimme has kind of turned dumpy. Other than a couple good mini golf courses there isn't much you'll spend time doing there in town.
    -Downtown Disney is crazy crowded, and has alot of the same restaurants/shops you'd see anywhere, but they do have a ton of Disney gift shops if you don't want to buy stuff in the park. I hate Disney apparel so you won't find me going to this area much.
    -There is a really neat Disney boardwalk area with some shops and restaurants. Good place to have dinner, and walk around a bit.

-As for Daytona Beach.... I'd go to Cocoa Beach or a bit further south to Sebastian if it was up to me. Cocoa Beach is much closer, and a straight shot from the freeway that goes south of Orlando that you travel back and forth from if you are going to the parks. Its a toll way called 528. Its a super easy trip to Cocoa. Daytona and back in one day... that's alot of driving for a beach trip. Go to Cocoa.

Whatever other questions you have just let me know. I pretty much lived in Tampa & Sarasota with my last job, and have been to Disney way too many times to count.

5. pirc1

Thank you for the information, what about hotel, is it best to stay in the Disney World or one of the cheaper hotel outside? What type of passes are the best? My kid is six years old.

6. marky :)

marky :) Member

Last time I went I got a package that include airfare/Disney Resort/park admissions. Also look into fast passes, food plans, and the Disney Magic Bands. The bands are used as all-in-one devices. You can use it to enter your resort room, purchase food/merchandise, and etc. Some things in the parks will react to your band so your kids will enjoy that aspect of it.

I liked the package I got because I didn't have to worry about renting a vehicle and the resorts had constant shuttles to and from all the parks.

7. marky :)

marky :) Member

Forgot to add that the food prices aren't all that ridiculous inside the resorts/parks. It gets expensive when you're a f@t@ss like myself and want to eat multiple things a day. :grin:

8. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

The WDW parks will be extremely crowded, fwiw.

9. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

Buy this book:
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I don't recall the name of the Disney resort we stayed at, but it was worth the extra to stay on the Disney grounds. You pretty much never need to drive when in the area because they have all types of constant transportation available. Buses all day to and from the park / Disney Downtown etc....

We rented a car, but didn't drive it much....maybe to the outlets once or twice.

11. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

If you stay at the Disney premium resort Contemporary, you can walk between the main WDW park and the hotel, which you may find helpful with a small child.

My six year old liked the main park and the Animal park the best. We were able to do multiple days at each. For Epcot and the Hollywood park, we only did a half day at each. I would also suggest getting a multi-day park hopper pass, which will allow you entrance to multiple parks per day.

12. agslai

agslai Contributing Member

We went in May and stayed at the Caribbean Beach hotel. My son had a blast. You get extra hours at certain parks for staying at the Disney Resorts and shuttle to and from parks and airport. Staying on a Disney resort allows you to purchase merchandise and have it delivered to your room the next day. Nice perks. Aint cheap though.

We used Sandy from SmallWorldVacations.

sandy@smallworldvacations.com

Phone: 281-218-0272
    Toll Free: 866-623-9246

Sandy was awesome, will explain what you need and dont need, and will take care of everything. Get the Memory Maker where they take pix of you and family on rides and throughout the park and and you download online.

FAST PASS, FAST PASS, FAST PASS. Never felt so VIP and kind of miss it. Short wait with Fast Pass on character dinings and rides. I never waited more than 10 minutes per ride.

Christmas and New Years are going to be really busy.

Bring GOOD WALKING SHOES and buy a case of bottle water. Water is $4 at resort and parks.

Your kids are going to love it. You will be really tired hahah.

13. pirc1

Thanks for all the information.

14. the shark

the shark Member

We went two summers ago. Drove there from Houston. Didn't do it all in one day. Stayed in Tallahassee. So the next day it only took us a few hrs to get to Orlando. Stayed at the Dolphin hotel (the Swan & Dolphin on the same grounds as well as on the Disney property). Great hotel!! They have about five restaurants in the Dolphin as well as a couple in the Swan. Very easy to get to the different destinations as buses run continuously, and the wait isn't long at all.

I would not stay off grounds as the traffic can get pretty backed up. We only had to drive one time, and that was to Universal I believe. My kids had a blast (9 & 7 yrs old).

15. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

16. pirc1

17. BigSherv

BigSherv Contributing Member

Ind a recommended Disney planner to help you. They don't cost anything and can help with every aspect of the trip.

18. pirc1

Thanks, I will check the planner out.

19. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

I too recommend Sandy with Small World Vacations - she's did a great job for us last year.

http://www.smallworldvacations.com

Do:
    read up and study this website: http://www.mousesavers.com

Fly in and stay on property - you won't need a rental car & they'll pick you up/drop you off at the airport & even pick up your bags for you

Get a meal plan - or you'll easily spend over $140 a day just on meals for 4.

Stay for 5 days, if you have a young kid rent a stroller (yes even for a 7yr old..otherwise he'll never make it walking the parks for several days)

Get the magic bands & plan your trip early using: http://touringplans.com

Schedule your fast-passes on https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/pl...ney-experience
    as soon as you can based on the schedule you planned using the touring plans.com website

Have lots of Fun.

20. pirc1

Thanks for all the info.