1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rush Drummer Neil Peart: I Am Retiring From Music

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by No Worries, Dec 8, 2015.

1. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Rush Drummer Neil Peart: I Am Retiring From Music

After a series of reports on his physical issues, Rush drummer Neil Peart said that he is retiring from music.

The prog icons have recently wrapped up the R40 tour as their final major trek ever, with several sources citing Mr. Peart's health and his struggle with chronic tendonitis as the top factor behind the decision.

Neil tells Drumhead Magazine: "Lately Olivia [Louise, Neil's daughter] has been introducing me to new friends at school as 'My dad - he's a retired drummer.' True to say, funny to hear.

"And it does not pain me to realize that, like all athletes, there comes a time to... take yourself out of the game. I would rather set it aside then face the predicament described in our song 'Losing It' ['Sadder still to watch it die, than never to have known it']."

2. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Bubbles is going to freak out!

[​IMG]

3. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Wow! Geddy and Alex had no idea as they were talking about making new Rush music next year. We knew touring was off but this is really the end of Rush.

Edit: I just learned after reading more that it is within the context of touring. So, new music is possible and even probable. Touring is probably not.

#3 Surfguy, Dec 8, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2015
  4. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Heard about this yesterday and figured for sure Surfguy would have started a thread when I logged on this morning.

Most iconic drummer since Buddy Rich (Neil's idol, BTW). Truly the end of an era.

I've been inspired by a thousand drummers over the years, but I probably would have never even picked up a pair of sticks if not for hearing Exit...Stage Left for the first time way back in the 6th grade. I can listen to that YYZ solo today and still get that same feeling of wonderment I got 30-something years ago when I heard it for the first time.

Enjoy your retirement, Neil. If anyone has earned it, it's you.

5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Best drummer ever -- bet this stops touring, but not new music.

6. Surfguy

I probably would have if I wasn't in training this week. So, I'm a bit behind on checking Rush news. lol

7. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Geddy Lee Says Neil Peart Hasn’t Retired

8. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Moving Pictures is one of all time favorites.

Neil was a true master on the skins. No one even comes close to Mr. Peart.

9. Surfguy

It wouldn't shock me if Geddy is trying to frame Neil's words without actually talking to him. Neil is off in his own little world a bit compared to Geddy/Alex...who are basically neighbors and see each other often (whereas Neil lives in San Diego). I hope Geddy talked to him before he made his statement to be sure.

10. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Glad I splurged on those 8th Row R40 tickets in Austin this year. Always a great show the dozens of times before but this one was Great weather, great show and they were on top of their game. I understand touring can take it's toll. Maybe they'll take up residence someplace every couple years and do a bunch of shows and let the fans come to them (Vegas I'm looking at you). I'd gladly go spend a weekend in Vegas or New York etc if they were playing a show every 2 days for a couple weeks.

11. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Even if he's only retiring from touring, I still consider that retiring. They are a touring band, first and foremost. Always have been.

12. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

This.

We will have to see if Rush is interested in releasing new music that they will not tour. I will not be surprised either way.

Geddy and Alex may release more new music without Neil, but I do hope that they have enough sense to not release it under the Rush moniker.

13. Surfguy

Geddy and Alex would never release new music as Rush without Neil...so no worries there.

14. roxxfan

roxxfan Contributing Member

This is a joke.

15. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

Wow.....This is sad. They were such a great band to see in concert

16. Surfguy

They could still do a limited amount of dates. It just won't be a 3 month tour like R40. We just don't really know at this point. Neil is probably trying to temper enthusiasm by fans for another tour. Worst case...Geddy and Neil really aren't on the same page and Neil is really retiring from music altogether. Geddy says they will chat in the new year about next steps. I doubt Geddy has even talked to him at this point since the R40 tour ended except maybe a casual call and not anything music-related. That's kind of why I'm worried about anything Geddy says when he says "nothing to say" cause obviously Neil had something to say there. Flashback...were the band mates on the same page the last show of the R40 tour when Neil came out from behind the kit up front (something he has never done) to say what appeared to be a final goodbye? No...they weren't. Geddy and Alex were shocked by it.

#16 Surfguy, Dec 8, 2015
  17. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

How so? I'm interested in knowing who you place ahead of him?

18. Surfguy

Best drummer is too general. I would say for what his genre is...one could make the claim. I would define his genre as stadium rock (prog) first and foremost. I doubt there are many who pound the skins as hard for as long as he has. But, clearly Peart wouldn't be labeled the best jazz drummer because that's not what defines him. He's only dabbled in that genre later in his career.

To me, making claims on who the best drummer is...is all opinionated and biased anyway. Show one video of a guy ripping on drums will only draw another video of someone else one thinks does it better.

No doubt Neil has been a highly successful and well respected drummer with a long career who can be considered up there among the Best. And, it's all the more amazing because Neil has admitted the drums never came naturally to him. He is not a natural talent by his own admission.. Everything he has done has been because of a very strict work regimen. He will also admit most of his career he was a compositional drummer. Prior to ~1998, you would never catch Neil improvising drum parts during a performance. He was always very well rehearsed. It wasn't until further study under a new teacher did he learn to improvise live mostly during his drum solos. That's not a knock per se but could be considered a limitation back in the day.

#18 Surfguy, Dec 8, 2015
  19. the shark

the shark Member

Have you ever heard of a guy named John Bonham? Obviously not or you wouldn't be making such a crazy comment.

20. Buck Turgidson

Stuart Copeland, Keith Moon, Bonzo, Charlie Watts, a few of the jazz guys...but Neil Peart was really the first one I totally rocked to as a youngster. Just a total badass.