1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why is Dwight Howard scoring so much less this year?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, Dec 3, 2015.

1. bmd

bmd Member

He's averaging 12.8 ppg in 33 minutes per game.

Last season, even being injured, he averaged 15.9 ppg in 29 minutes.

He's only averaging 14 ppg per 36 this year compared to 19 last year.

Yet everything else is up. He's got more rebounds than he's ever had with the Rockets, more blocks, his best free throw percentage, etc.

He's averaging nearly 2 less field goal attempts per game this year. He's only averaging 8.7 per game. They aren't getting him the ball.

Do you guys think they should be looking for Dwight more and try to get him more involved?

2. Captain Hook

Captain Hook Member

In my opinion, as a Big Man, you have to get in a rhythm offensively, and sitting out games, it is tough to get a rhythm

3. bmd

bmd Member

I forgot to mention that he's only averaging 5.1 free throw attempts this year. Last year he averaged 6.6 and the year before he averaged 9.0.

So in addition to taking much less field goal attempts, he's also getting less chances to score at the line (which don't count towards field goal attempts).

So he's much less involved than he was the previous year's with the Rockets.

4. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Dwight's post game is eroding by the day. There just isn't any touch on his shots. They really have cut down on his post touches (which is a good thing since they are turnovers waiting to happen). But they aren't adding in more PnRs which is a bad thing. Very bad thing.

Dwight is evolving to being a rebounding defensive center. Nothing wrong with that as long as he is playing efficiently.

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

the offense is no longer ran through him as of when he returned last year. he understood and acknowledged time and time again he is focused on rebounding and defense. the shots will only come from PNR and offensive rebounds. that's the where the bulk of his points took the hit.

6. bmd

bmd Member

He doesn't have to post up a ton. But I do think they need to get him the ball a little more in the post to keep him involved in the game.

And you are right, they don't seem to be getting him the ball for easy buckets like they did previously.

It seemed like at least once every game Dwight would post up then spin off of his man and catch an easy lob from Harden at the top of the key. I never see that anymore.

7. YOLO

YOLO Member

they actually cut down his post touches to the point where he barely even gets any which I don't agree with because I believe he needs to get it down there more than he has been. Not to necessarily score but to keep the offense open with different looks and keep defenses honest

8. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

So is working with Dream a detriment to his offensive game? I never thought Dwight had the physical and mental tools to learn much from Dream but maybe repeatedly trying to make him into something he is not has actually made him move away from what made him effective (if somewhat limited) on offense in the first place.

Obviously, that is not the main issue but our season sucks so far and I want to talk about something other than Harden being lazy.

9. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

It's not that we should be looking to him more -- we should be getting him the ball in only situations he can do things with it.

Post ups are not Dwight's strong suit. He doesn't have the hops he used to either. But when he has his guy pinned or boxed out -- we HAVE to get him the ball. And Dwight needs to go up with some power like he used to.

10. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

And this is where having DMO come back, and truly BE an efficient post up threat, makes a big difference in opening up the offense and keeping the defense honest.

11. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

Doing what he does best.

Defense and Rebound.

I'm surprised he hasn't complain about touches in the post yet.

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

It's as if he accepted the lesser role with a good attitude last year, the team slowly forgot about even trying to integrate him, and now he's going overboard, making a point out of not participating on offense and is silently peeved by it.

He does need the ball more and you don't have to post him up to accomplish that. He's also finding Capella for easy buckets early in-game when they typcally look to get Dwight some touches.

13. CertifiedTroll

Last year he posted up a lot more. This year we learned post moves can only get to the WCF, we have to miss lots of threes to be real contenders.

14. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Dwight would be much better off working with Kevin Willis and developing a little baby hook shot. Just that ONE SHOT. Dont over complicate things. Get decent at one shot type instead of meh at an array of others.

I am fine with DMO getting the post shots and Howard cleaning up the garbage. Efficient.

15. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Dwight's scoring has nothing to do with his post touches. Dwight of years past (and playoff Dwight) can get 20 in his sleep from just getting dunks, and put backs within the offense.

Dwight's lack of points has more to do with the fact that the flow of the Rockets offense in general just simply sucks, and the ball isn't moving enough to find open players. Dwight is pretty much only getting points off of offensive rebound put backs, and the occasional pick and roll.

Dwight looks fine to me. He's healthy, moving well, and his free throw touch looks better than normal.

His problems seem to revolve around the poor offensive execution, the lack luster perimeter defense putting him in bad spots, and his lack of control to NOT go after every block, and stay in position for rebounds. What's mostly his fault in his control this year is that last part. If the Rockets start playing better overall as a team, Dwight's numbers will jump back up to that 15 to 18PPG that we are all accustomed to.

16. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Anyone catch on the halftime show during one of the last 2 games Dwight walked by while Calvin was talking about getting it into Dwight more and he pulled Dwight over to tell him about it and Dwight responded by saying something along the lines of he's sacrificing for the team and that he's focusing on defense, rebounding, easy finishes at the rim and put backs?

Sounds like it's something that has been game planned for this season and I'm glad it seems he is ok with it.

17. abaker28

abaker28 Member

1: Most of his games last season were post season games
    2: Doesn't help his touch sitting out games
    3: Sharing more with Capella
    4: Offence runs through him less
    5: Harden ISO
    6: A fair amount of passes to Dwight are just awful.

I got no problem with it. Judge him more after the AS break.

18. YOLO

YOLO Member

old news per last season.

19. Mr Chuck Norris

We really just cant pass the ball to him, in addition whe we do he goes up slow or weak it his shot gets blocked easily. He has the highest percentage blocked shots in the NBA.

20. bmd

bmd Member

Those are all regular season stats. Playoffs weren't included.