1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2015 NCAA Coaching Carousel Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by gucci888, Oct 12, 2015.

1. askball

askball Member

Selfishly, I wish Meachum would go ahead and move on so we can lock up Cumbie. I'd rather keep Cumbie since he's younger and the "coach in waiting" once GP retires. Not to mention, losing him hurts TCU and helps a conference rival (UT). Bit of a double whammy.

2. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

From everything I've read, sounds like we're ready to offer that to get our guy. But as bad as we have been, OC at Texas is still one of the best coordinator jobs in the country. An abundance of resources and getting things turned around here would likely lead to a much bigger opportunity down the road. I'm honestly perplexed why Meachum isn't being sought after more.

With that said, Strong's career at Texas hinges on one year so the stability would be a big concern. Not big enough to say it doesn't make sense for any active coordinator though.

3. gucci888

Coach in Waiting? Patterson is only 55. If his projection continues the way it's going, he'll be a HC elsewhere in 2-3 years regardless of where he ends up next year.

4. gucci888

Double post.

5. askball

askball Member

Yeah but GP has stated in the past he wants to retire by 60. Sure, it might play out like the Brown/Muschamp situation but if you publicly state "Cumbie will be the next HC" he might just stick around.

6. jdh008

jdh008 Member

According to Brett Vito, the UNT beat writer for the local Denton paper, it looks like the program has turned their attention to Seth Littrell, the OC at UNC.

Strangely, the way the story is worded makes it sound like UNT has backed away from Meacham rather than the other way around. I would think that they would be tickled pink to have a shot at getting him.

Littrell is in charge of a pretty productive offense at UNC, so it's not like he's completely out of left field, but given Meacham's experience recruiting DFW, plus his experience calling plays for an explosive offense, I figured he would be the logical choice.

The story is here.

7. Nook

Nook Member

I don't consider UGA a top 10 job and Herman isn't going there. Richt won't have a hard time getting a job.

8. gucci888

Yeah he'd be a great hire for Maryland or a Miami. Just for kicks, which teams do you have in the Top 10.

9. Buck Turgidson

Since you didn't ask, in no order:

USC
    Oregon (recent addition, Nike $ talks)
    Texas
    OU
    Michigan
    Ohio St
    Notre Dame
    Alabama
    LSU
    Georgia
    Florida
    FSU

Hey, if the Big12 can have 10 teams then my top 10 can have XII.

Then you get into the aTm, Tennessee, UCLA, Michigan St, Clemson, Penn State (again someday) tier of schools.

The only difference between the Alabama and Georgia programs over the past ~decade are the coaches. When Saban leaves, who knows? Georgia is a monster program just waiting for the right guy.

10. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Brandon Helwig ‏@UCFSports 16m16 minutes ago
    Confirmed via multiple sources, both inside and outside UCF: Oregon offensive coordinator Scott Frost will be UCF's next head coach.

11. gucci888

Oregon and Georgia are on the cusp but arguable for sure. The Richt era at Georgia seemed very similar to Mack's at Texas with the main difference being VY. Great facilities and recruiting but just not able to get over the hump.

Richt was consistently pulling in Top 10 recruiting classes so whoever is the next guy up is walking into a pretty good situation.

12. UtilityPlayer

UtilityPlayer Member

The talent near UGA is ridic, like Diamonds in Southern Africa. The amount of top 300 recruits is remarkable. There is no excuse for the next coach in the easier SEC East to make a serious run every year. Athens is a tremendous college city, fan base, state with talent every corner.

13. UtilityPlayer

UtilityPlayer Member

Maryland should have all that Under Armor $$$$.

14. gucci888

Apparently Richt is interviewing for the Maryland job. That would be a tremendous move by both sides if he gets it.

15. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

The U would be foolish to not hire him

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">TCU’s Doug Meacham withdrew from North Texas search</p>&mdash; Joe Schad (@schadjoe) <a href="https://twitter.com/schadjoe/status/671750700259483648">December 1, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Can confirm <a href="https://twitter.com/ajc">@AJC</a> report that Kirby Smart will be named <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/UGA?src=hash">#UGA</a> coach, barring a last-minute development. Has not signed memo of understanding</p>&mdash; Mark Schlabach (@Mark_Schlabach) <a href="https://twitter.com/Mark_Schlabach/status/671880287396175872">December 2, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Smart still has some formalities to go through before it's official, but can't complete process until after SEC championship game</p>&mdash; Mark Schlabach (@Mark_Schlabach) <a href="https://twitter.com/Mark_Schlabach/status/671880692775690241">December 2, 2015</a></blockquote>

18. jdh008

jdh008 Member

So many questions we've had for so long will be answered with this hire alone.

1. How will Kirby Smart fare as a head coach? We've been wondering for several years now, as he turned down every other offer that came his way, and now we'll get to find out.

2. Will Alabama, and more specifically, their defense, see a dip in their level of play after Smart leaves? Or is Saban, rather than Smart, really the key to their defensive play?

3. Will Georgia really be better off post-Richt?

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

2. Like they always do under Saban, they're gonna plug and play and not miss a beat.
    3. I was just thinking about that as well. You ran off Richt for the highly-popular-but-inexperienced Smart? Maybe it works great like Tom Herman...or could fail spectacularly. Meh.

20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I'd be scared to hire Smart if I'm a top program like Georgia but he inherits an incredible situation. If Smart is good Georgia can easily become a powerhouse. I agree, Bama will roll, but I also think Saban might consider the Colts job. Too damn sexy for any sane human with a competitive spirit to not consider.

Meanwhile, JR's favorite website, Texags is spouting off some nonsense about OBC to TAMU as OC (lulz).