1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What if DM didn't implement his philosophy in coaching

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by atwood, Nov 28, 2015.

1. atwood

atwood Member

No doubt DM is one of the best GMs in this league. He has an amazing record of identifying talent, trading up, and keeping flexibility. But I can't resist to think, what if DM didn't put his words into the coaching stuff and just let the coach do their job, will the Rockets have a better chance to prove themselves. It is a shame to watch this team plays at such a mediocre level considering how much talent they have.

2. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

If by philosophy, you mean putting the ball in the basket, then yes, take that away and they have a better chance of proving themselves.

3. tdo

tdo Member

Haha I was going to post this same thing. We are missing 3s, layups, and everything in between. While also not defending well at all. The team is just a mess right now. Every facet from the owner to the players deserves blame. The tougher question is where do we go from here? Obviously we are going to try to get back into the playoff race, but come trade deadline time, and if we are still way back in the standings, do we start exploring trade options for Howard, Brewer, etc.?

4. ISOBall

ISOBall Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

Without Coach Whisperer Daryl Morey in his ear, Mchale would have just been clapping without a purpose

6. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

it is stupid as hell ot keep shooting threes when they're not oging down. its basic basketball 101 but for some reason morey completely ignores it

when the threes aren't going down, MIX IT UP! shoot some mid range jumpers. i agree dont stop shooting threes completely, but also dont keep jacking up countless threes

u can also put in thornton or terry to get some quick threes

i just dont understand whats going on in moreys mind when he sees the team isnt making their threes, over and over again. not just this season.

and does he even know we dont have any elite shooters aside harden? the system wont work with average/below average shooters

7. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Morey doesn't actually play basketball, he just studies analytics and implements a system based on a theory.

8. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

i dont think thats the reason. i think he gets sexually aroused when he sees this big strong black guys brick three after three
    the bricking sound must be the climax. enough of those bricks, and he'll need new pants

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Short memories I guess. DM has let coaches run their shows in the past and his current influence on the scheme is repeatedly exaggerated.

2 people like this.
  10. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They have bought into the ESPN narrative.

11. hakeemthagreat

Lol. Short memories? DM did let our 2 better coaches JVG & Adelman run the show but essentially got rid of both so he could have more control (aka Moreyball). No valid reason Adelman should've been pushed out other than him not giving Morey more control. Our next coach will need to be able to run his own ship

12. cheke64

cheke64 Member

ESPN narrative? They finally caught on what Morey is really about.

13. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

They've been shooting mid-range shots at a high rate since about game 4. They've been missing from everywhere.

14. Batman Jones

Wish I could rep this twice.

15. Batman Jones

Sorry but this is inaccurate. I'd be violating a confidence to say more but this is way off. And I felt just as you do before I knew the background.

16. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You guys are crazy. DM didn't believe in anything other than finding the best guys who actually add value to the team. He uses stats as a guide - but he also goes for players who will help.

He didn't go after T-mac because he was a great 3-point player. He didn't chase Carmelo for that reason either. Nor many other players. He put the best group of guys he could have put on the floor. You can't blame him for the players poor chemistry.

You can blame him for letting guys walk, or letting dragic go, or the moves he made. But he did what he had to do with what he had to work with and what Les told him to do as a boss. I really think his only massive blunder was letting Dragic walk.

17. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

I do agree that Adelman was let go for no good reason. Morey is a good GM though. I think the Mchale/Adelman debacle will always haunt him though.

18. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

He wasn't GM until 3 years after we got Tmac.

19. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That's true but regardless - he chased Carmelo.

20. FanSince93

FanSince93 Member

He is a good GM. He hit some and he missed some and is ok.

But he has not achieved anything yet. Is there any other city where a GM, not a player, is worshipped in such a vulgar manner? He has a cult following here - how did this happen? When did this happen? We used to have LOFs who used to consider JL as a superstar. I see the same disturbing trend here. MOFs - who think Daryl is the best thing that can happen to Houston. I just can not wait these MOFs to drive out of town. Take your GM worshipping a** to the next city DM moves to.