1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Thinking about buying a Surface Pro

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DudeWah, Nov 28, 2015.

Tags:
  1. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Those of you who have it, what are your thoughts?

I've had an iPad for some years and the thing collects dust. I can't find myself using a tablet for only media purposes. It has to be able to help me with work in a somewhat easy and competent way. Additionally I have a laptop that's starting to age and I'd like to replace it.

I want to switch to a dedicated desktop that I plan to build sometime in the next few months. I think the surface sounds like a nice complement to thay desktop for my on the go needs. I'd use it in a 50/50 productivity/media capacity.

Is this a decent plan? Or should I just go the desktop/laptop route?

My primary deciding factors are the size and weight of the surface being great for me because I hate carrying laptops around. Also, I do most of my work,coding,studying,etc on a desktop anyway. So, even if the surface can't function as a full laptop replacement all the time, that's not a big deal.

Oh and I'm looking at the surface pro 4. Thinking about at least the i5 model. Might go for the 8GB ram version.

#1 DudeWah, Nov 28, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
  2. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Do you want 4G/LTE cellular capabilities, or will there always be a wi-fi connection in the places you want to use it? I think some of the more business-friendly laptops lack cellular service/coverage.

3. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

I'll have wifi everywhere I'd need an Internet connection.

4. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

If you're looking more for a laptop replacement than a tablet/media consumption device, the Surface Pro is a great option. And you still have the tablet for when you need it.

I use my tablet mostly for media; streaming, apps, games, browsing, etc., so I'm much happier with an iPad for that. Surface as just a tablet isn't as appealing IMO.

But as the hybrid, or more importantly a super portable Windows ultrabook, it's great. I'm looking to get one to replace my current work laptop, which is an older Lenovo.

In addition, Windows 10 has a 'tablet mode' that's enabled whenever you set the surface keyboard in place, which makes it more like the Windows 8 front end (some people were complaining that W10 was 'worse' for a touch screen tablet than W8 was), so it gives you a lot of options to play with.

You should be able to get a decent price on the Pro3 with the 4 out now, which is still a great machine, if you're looking to save a little money.

5. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

Instead of investing in both a laptop and desktop, consider the Surface Pro with a docking station and nice monitor and accessories. That's the beauty of the Surface Pro: ability to be a full work computer and an on-the-go device.

With a docked Surface Pro, you wouldn't have to worry about keeping a desktop and laptop synced up - you'd have the same device everywhere you wanted to work.

To use the Surface Pro comfortably on-the-go, you still need a flat surface to keep it on; the lap isn't quite comfortable enough for me. SP4 seems like a great device though.

Or if you care to avoid the docking, the Surface Book seems perfect.

6. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

6 months or so of the Surface Pro 3 here. I love it so far. Before I used both laptops and tablets; now, I just use the Surface Pro.

7. jtotheb

jtotheb Contributing Member

You'd be good with an SP3 or an SP4. We've purchased about 35 of them at the company I work for, and 100% of the users LOVE them.

8. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

What kind of work do you guys with the SP's do on them and what model do you have? Do you guys do "serious" work on it? I'm asking because I thought about getting one, but an i5/256MB/8GB version of the SP4 runs $1299+tax and that's not even the "high end" one - that's the "middle" one.

10. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Damn. Some good info here. Glad to hear everyone has had great experiences so far.

I just went to Best Buy to try out the SP4 today and the new Surface Book really caught my eye. Now I have a new dilemma. Definitely gonna pick up one of these products. I really wanted to get away from a laptop. But the 75% laptop 25% tablet appeal of the Surface Book sounds pretty nice. The screen on that thing is gorgeous.

It's gonna be the i5/8GB ram version of both that I'm considering.

I'm worried with the surface that the keyboard will be too thin and awkward to use in any sort of practical way if I'm away from a desk.

On the other hand I've read various reports of the Surface Book's tablet portion running between 1.5-3.5 hours of battery life when separated. The lower end of that amount is way too little. If it's 3.5 hours id pull the trigger on it right now.

Either way I'm confident I'll be happy with either product. Making this decision is hard lol.

11. Jontro

Jontro Member

Surface Pro changed my life. Highly recommendable.

12. Buck Turgidson

For a split second I read it as "thinking about buying a surfboard, bro" and I thought this thread was interesting

13. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

http://www.cowboom.com/product/1465494/

As I mentioned in another thread, I bought a pre-owned SP2 from cowboom (Subsidary of Bestbuy).

i5 and 128 GB for < $300 shipped. I can deal with minor scratches. Will let you know opinion after it arrives.

14. Jontro

Jontro Member

The Mayhem models changed my life. Highly recommendable.

15. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I'm about a year in on mine. My only complaint with it has been issues starting up and restarting when on the dock. Otherwise, I don't see a need to have an other laptop.

16. Buck Turgidson

I'm a Robert August longboard man, myself.

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Can your play Starcraft II at decent settings on one of these? What's the battery life? Nice thread.

18. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Ah after doing a lot of research last night apparently the surface book has a ton of software/driver related bugs atm. Such a shame as it looks like an amazing product. And the Engadget review had me going.

http://www.engadget.com/2015/10/21/surface-book-review/

I think I'm gonna wait a week or two and see if the majority of the bugs get sorted out. If so, I'll buy the surface book.

If not I'm gonna go ahead and pick up the surface pro 4 and start building my desktop sooner rather than later.

19. MystikArkitect

You're gonna be surprised at how you won't need a desktop anymore after a SP3 or SP4. Get a docking station, two monitors and you're golden. It literally does everything you need it to.

Had a friend who had an Ipad, Thinkpad and iMac switch to a SP4. Met up with him at a bar and he was working on it. Looks at me and says "This thing sucks. I now have no excuse to not be productive."

20. opticon

opticon Member

I have owned Surface Pro, Surface Pro 2 , Surface Pro 3.
    I used all three as my full time device for over a year each. I had to make some major compromises on screen size with the Pro and Pro 2.
    The Surface Pro 3 was great and fixed a lot of the problems that plagued the first two models.
    The only knock I had on the Pro 3 was the type cover. Over time the keys would break down and the track pad was inconsistent.
    The type cover 4 changed all that form me. The type cover 4 is amazing. It has spaced out keys and much better key travel.
    Also the track pad is easily one of the best ones I have every used on a windows machine.
    With all that said if you do not need a computer with dedicated graphics card the surface pro 3 or 4 is a winner.
    They type cover 4 is a must have with either device.
    Like others have said it is my all day machine. I user it for everything. I have the official Microsoft dock at work and connect via mini display port cable to a 30 in monitor at home.
    Install bluestacks or andyroid and you can run just about any app that you want with full touch.