1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

"Not the same group"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Nov 25, 2015.

1. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

How soon can we get josh smith back?

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Hey, I am not the bogeyman here.

You guys argue on your own....leave me out of it.

DD

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

There is a difference in the defense and how hard Capela dives on the trap, though. Just like the first possession I described above, we run a 4 out 1 a lot with Capela. As soon as the trap begins, he dives hard to the basket. We just don't see Howard do that as much. He kinda steps to the basket and also gets more help defense attention. Howard seems to want the swing pass for a pin on the weakside.

If you have the game recorded, I'll give you the timestamps of the 4 out 1s with Howard vs Capela, if you want. Would be interested in your take.

4. Rio Rocket

Rio Rocket Member

that was a great play, i remember yelling to my wife who was a minute late how great it was. JB

5. heypartner

:) couldn't resist using your sipping the cool-aid line. Yeah, you only spoke in general, and probably didn't say specifically Harden is icing out Howard.

6. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Didnt Detroit buy out Smooves contract around this time last year?
    Just wait for it

7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Lawson has been BEYOND terrible. But if they think he's the only reason why they suck, they're wrong.

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I do think they don't really fit as a pair though, Harden needs a guy on the block that is a reliable offensive weapon too....

DD

9. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

Heypartner, this is right.

10. malakas

malakas Member

11. basketballholic

1. It was a designed play. I never said it wasn't.

2. Howard was open on the roll. Harden didn't even look at him.

3. I gave you all 16 possessions and even the times so you could freeze frame it and look at it heypartner. You try to nitpick the first one. You can't. You won't even touch the others. Because you know I'm right.

Harden and the rest of his teammates do a horrible job of getting the ball to Dwight. They don't even look for him most of the time. There is no excuse for you ignoring the obvious.

12. heypartner

:rolleyes:

You are categorically wrong on the 1st one in such embarrassing fashion. I don't think you see NBA defenses like I do. I've watched this game twice. I'm moving on to the other games Howard has played since the firing.

I'm not really interested in discussing plays via text with you, because you will see and say what you want, obviously. Move on basketballholic. Find someone else to describe plays wrongly to.

#412 heypartner, Nov 27, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
  13. basketballholic

I refuse to post the spliced video. You do not deserve it.

14. heypartner

That's right. I do not deserve your amateurish description of plays, when you clearly can not see defensive structure, and how ball movement destroyed that defense on the first play.

HINT: Stop focusing on the ball and one player. Look at the defense. And it helps if you *love* to study NBA defenses, like I do.

So, yes. Please spare me.

15. RESINator

RESINator Member

Team trying to shut out Ty Lawson now?

16. basketballholic

I see defensive structure just fine, thank you. I went through every possession for you and showed you where Dwight was wide open for dunks/layups. You look at one play, refuse to see Dwight open and you blabber about "designed play". Have you ever played the game??? If you do, then you understand that when somebody is open...they're open. Designed play or not you feed the guy the ball to finish when they're open. Forget the rest of the play.

Now take apart the other 10 possessions that Dwight was involved in and tell me I'm wrong about all those too. Talk to me about designed play on the pick-and-pop with Terry when Dwight is hanging out at the rim for the dunk. Keep talking about designed play like a r****d.

If you cannot see that Harden is not even considering going to Dwight the majority of the time, if you cannot see that these guys without a true PG like Lawson out there are all piss-poor at getting Dwight the lob dunk, then you don't know the game of basketball.

PGs like Paul, Rondo, Rubio, and Lawson would have had Dwight 8-10 points and themselves 4-5 assists in the first 6 minutes of this game.

17. rlivz

rlivz Contributing Member

Just another data point, but I was at the game and I think it was during halftime shootaround that Harden and Howard sat on the bench next to each other and were singing along to that "Surf" song, dancing and interacting positively with each other. I had a similar reaction to yours -- I was encouraged because I've literally never seen them acknowledge each other.

18. jbasket

jbasket Member

19. Rio Rocket

Rio Rocket Member

on that play, at the time james passes to terrence, dwight is on the ft line and he is not facing the rim. there are 2 defenders on james, between james and dwight, and the other 3 defenders have 1 foot in the paint. the description "Harden/Howard PnR, Howard wide open for lob, James throws it to Terrence on the left arc" is terrible

20. heypartner

^^^ exactly. But basketballholic fails to see that.

Nice how you ignore other posters agreeing with my description, and you still fervorishly defend your take, and isolate the discussion to just one person, so it appears that we are in a mutual debate where either could be right. No, you're just wrong.

He wasn't open like you think he was. Two first team defenders (Allen and Gasol) did an aggressive trap on Harden and you even say his only possible pass "a lob pass" as you called it, was going to get Howard a layup when Green moved to Howard and Conley and Barnes were still in their designed help defense position in the low block. Not even Stockton could pass over Rodman and Pippen's aggressive trap in the Finals, and yet you dismiss Gasol and Allen like they aren't even there.

We see that pass attempt over aggressive traps get blocked a lot or must go extra high, making it a very slow pass. Slow enough for Gasol to recover too, like he almost did on the actual play (he actually blocked Howard from behind, but Howard muscled through it). Besides, Howard is more that 10' from the basket when Harden passes to Terrence.

It's a really bad play for you to use as icing-out Howard. Give it up.

I swear, it's like you are playing NBA 2k16 and you can click a button to move the ball from Harden to Howard instantly and these NBA players in prime help-defense position won't be able to make *one* long stride to meet Howard when the ball does. It's an unnecessarily difficult pass vs the ball movement that ensued.

Until you say you were wrong on that play, it isn't worth commenting on your other analysis, because you refuse to accept other takes, ever. Why would anyone argue with you about how you interpret those other plays? It's futile.

Move on basketballholic. Rockets did not try to ice out Howard in the MEM game. I'm watching other games now.

1 person likes this.