1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do the Rockets play better with Capela on the court than with Howard?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HamJam, Nov 20, 2015.

?

Do the Rockets play better with Capela on the court than with Howard?

Poll closed May 8, 2018.
  1. Yes, they play better with Capela

38.7%
  2. No, they play better with Howard

61.3%
  1. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

Howard is of course the more talented player and the better rebounder, but, it seems to me that Capela protects the basket much better, does better on defensive rotations, runs the floor on offense MUCH better, does a good (not great) job on the boards, doesn't cause as many turnovers with dumb plays (like offensive fouls), doesn't demand inefficient post touches on offense, and is happy to play the pick and roll game (which IS our version of an actual offensive system).

I mean, I've been thinking this since the season started, but, it keeps getting more and more clear as the season wears on. The team just seems to play better with Capela.

I spoiled the following rant because it is fueled by emotional vitriol after watching the debacle of the Memphis game. The above is something I've been thinking for a while, but my eyes needed more data before I decided it was worth discussing on Clutchfans. The below is straight up overreacting fan mode, so, if you aren't interested in that, please don't click.

That said:

I'm ready to blow this team up. Trade Howard and start Capela. If James doesn't improve after that change, trade him too. If Lawson doesn't improve by January, then trade him too. We could get a lot for them. A LOT. Just like we got a lot when we decided to trade Francis and Mobley -- but even more than we got for them.

We could have a team of hard playing and strong minded players by next season.But, optimally, trading Howard would help wake Harden up to being the player he was last year. But, if not, we'd be foolish not to trade him just like we once did with Francis. Once you realize he can't be the guy, you have to restart the search for the right guy to build your team around.

1 person likes this.
  2. OpenLayup-Why3?

did not read. imagine it's another idiotic attempt to blame Howard for all problems.

3. Dhoward12

Dhoward12 Member

Seems like we get these threads every year

First is was Asik
    Second We play better without Howard
    Now its Capela

Look bad no matter who is in tbh

4. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

at this point, who cares? seriously.

5. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Where is that I don't give a **** thread.

6. chandlerbang21

Bball breakdown gave stats on this. Team offense was better when capella on the floor

7. dmoneybangbang

Capela certainly moves better and covers more ground but simply doesn't have the bball iq or experience to fully take advantage of it.

I don't think Howard will be here past this season if we don't make the playoffs. However, Capela would net us a greater player in a trade deal if we don't blow it up.

8. jbasket

jbasket Member

[​IMG]

Every year he's been here. Do y'all not learn?

#8 jbasket, Nov 20, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
  9. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

I'm ready to develop capela now. Howard is getting old and can't even play every game.

10. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

On/off numbers for Capela are actually significantly better than Howard's this season.

11. el_locoteee

el_locoteee Member

At this point it doesn't matter.

When Harden comes to play we win, when he don't we lose.

12. el_locoteee

el_locoteee Member

He barely play and is vs second tiers players.

13. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

I like how you addressed his facts and logic there, champ.

14. ksny15

ksny15 Member

I see this too. Dwight is better on the boards but definitely is lacking in the IQ department on the defensive end. But again everyone is.

15. thedude077

thedude077 Member

They should start both. Capela is a natural power forward to begin with.

16. digitallinh

digitallinh Member

Here's what I think. If Howard was the backup and Capela was the starter, our situation wouldn't be much different than it currently is.

With that said, Dwight is overpaid for what he gives us (esp at his salary next year 25-30m), let's all hope Capela gets quality minutes this year to develop and Dwight goes somewhere else.

17. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

This team is full of dumb ass, mind focked players,

so not surprised to see the fans are the same.

18. PhiSlammaJamma

Capela is a difference maker, but he cannot clean the board like Howard. I would ask that we put them on the court together. See what happens. I think it would be a pleasant surprise.