1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Dwight Howard not worried about fewer scoring chances

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by onreego, Nov 20, 2015.

1. onreego

onreego Member

Maybe a sign of maturity at age 30. Self realization that his post game isn't the best. Probably also why he seems like he is the most consistent if he's just sticking to what he knows. Now run the p&r.

Link

2. linkz1993

linkz1993 Member

If he can stay in Houston for the next 5-8 years he cud be like what Duncan has become ?

3. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Howard playing the DeAndre Jordan/Tyson Chandler role to defend/rebound/block shots is just fine with me. DH's post touches are a turnover waiting to happen.

DH needs to do a better job of NOT setting sloppy screens on offense and getting fouls. Set the hard screen, hold, and then roll to the basket.

Play efficiently.

4. YOLO

YOLO Member

not really news. he already accepted the sacrifice last year when he came back.

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

but again nobody is saying run the offense through him but he still needs to get touches here and there. he is still capable

6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Absolutely. There are a lot more ways to get your 58% career shooter clean looks without having to post them up repeatedly. The coaching staff should be embarrassed they cant create offense for him.

7. AirBud#10

AirBud#10 Member

Not a chance, Duncan is somehow better and healthier than Dwight at 39.

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

yeah well it must be nice when he has less wear on his body cause his team doesn't have constant guys being sent him because of the lack of defense on the outside

9. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

There's nothing in there about "self realization" of his post game. The interview is on rockets.com. Sounds to me like no one's passing him the ball and he's being mature about it.

10. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

There is no shame in being a more awesome version of Tyson Chandler. It's actually what everybody loves about Dwight's game.

11. malakas

malakas Member

Touches =/= POST touches.
    I dont' understand why there are so many people who make this naive mistake. :rolleyes:
    It's like they think in their mind that a center can score only posting up or smth.

Dwight absolutely needs more touches and it's ridiculous that he doens't get them.

12. hakeemthagreat

Man I used to question Dwight's heart before Houston. But since he's been here I gotta say I have no problems with him here. I listen to criticism of him, and most of it comes across as "he should be more like Shaq, Hakeem". Well guess what, HE'S NOT THEM!!!

13. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

nice of him to say. i'm more than a bit disillusioned at soundbites pro athletes throw at the media ... but maybe its true.

gotta throw him the occasional bone, he is one of the bright spots in a, thus far, dismal opening.

14. ballplayer

ballplayer Contributing Member

I like the attitude regarding touches. It will eventually come back to him.

15. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

I think part of the reason is that he takes such a long time now days to operate in the post. When he used to make quicker decisions, he used to be more successful. Now it seems he waits for the team to clear opposite of him before he makes his two dribbles and turn to the right shot.

This partly is why DMo is a much better post player...He makes quick post decisions...once he has the ball in the post, he immediately attacks. When Dwight takes his sweet time, he allows for his defender to anticipate his moves much more readily...therefore less likely needing a double team, and resulting in an easy shot contest.

16. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Yep. Morey didn't bring him here to score 20+. He was brought in for his impact on defense. Over the course of his career he's been a much better defensive presence that Shaq ever was.

17. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I'd say Howard is more like Deandre Jordan, Tyson has never rebounded or defended at the level Howard does even today.

But still yes. I give Howard the upmost respect for putting aside his ego for betterment of the team, that is a amazing thing for a star player to do.

He is still a rebounding ane defensive beast, still among the best in the NBA in those categories. And that's all we need from him to win.

18. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

when dmo returns, his interior passing and the spacing he'll add for lawson to drive -- will both give dwight a lot more easy dunks

19. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

If he could be somewhere between where he is, and Deandre Jordan, that would be great. Just great.

20. thirdengine

thirdengine Member

When can we expect him to start making it up the court before 8 seconds have run off the shot clock?