1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Danny Ainge to Kevin McHale: We have a spot for you...

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Clutch, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/..._ainge_to_kevin_mchale_we_have_a_spot_for_you

2. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Good. Hope McHale lands on his feet.

3. thejav

thejav Member

hes getting 12 mil for 11 games.. hes been on his feet for 40 years..

4. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

nice. thanks for posting that Clutch!

5. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Feels like a shame that you can't really fire the team instead.

6. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

We shouldn't have to pay him $12m if he gets another coaching job.

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Its very likely that no current Houston Rocket will have as good a career as Kevin McHale.

8. BleedsRocketRed

I really wonder what happened behind the scenes. You generally do not see this type of reaction from other coaches and execs when somebody get fired.

I really wonder if there was a case of mutiny in the locker room, and how could things become so rotten so fast?

We may never know.

9. Hardensway

Hardensway Member

This guy should not be coaching period.

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Their sucky performance on the court was a form of mutiny... when players inexplicably quit on a coach (largely because of how immature/lazy/unprofessional the players are)... the coach has to get sacrificed, but doesn't lose face.

Additionally, McHale has friends all over... that's what being successful and well-liked for 40 years gets you.

11. scolandry1

scolandry1 Member

Giving him Garnett for nothing isn't enough. Give him the slippery eel too.

12. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

It's not really that big a mystery why everybody's jumping all over McHale. The guy's an NBA legend - one of the best to play the game. He's also the contemporary of a lot of these guys. Barkley played against him and hates Rockets management apparently. Carlisle and Ainge were teammates. Combine that with I really don't know how a team can go from bustin' tail to get where they were at the end of the season last year after hardly every having their full roster for any meaningful stretch to what this team's become now (basically a pile of crap), and you can't help but think the players are to blame and McHale's getting the short end of the stick. Pretty much everyone's thinking the players caused this to happen.

13. rockets belle

rockets belle Member

Coach Kevin McHale has always been "old school". He expected his players to be mature and professional but they weren't. I'm sorry but Harden's effort has been awful in most of the games. It doesn't help that Brewer can't find his shot and Lawson seems to not mesh well with the players. I definitely think that he was fired too early but I hope this will wake the players up. I hope they lose some sleep over this.

14. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Yeah he's a legend (Player) , I am sure he's a nice man. But he is not anything special when it comes to coaching. When or if he does ever coach again, ppl will realize that very quickly.

15. butterball

butterball Member

Just like it was with Adelman, the coaching wasn't the problem. It was the Rockets management and the players. This move isn't going to magically improve the issues this team has.

I'm really disappointed in the Rockets' management as well as the players.

16. basketballholic

That $12 million amounts to an extra $3 million per season for the 4 seasons he coached this team, putting him in about the 80th percentile of head coaches salaries for the 2012-15 seasons. Even with the extra $12 million, he's still not among the highest paid coaches for 2012-15.

17. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Coaches always take up for coaches so this is no surprise. I'm sure there are 29 coaches that feel he was wronged and disrespected but it's not their team.

It's like how all the other owners tell Bob McNair how good of a job he's doing running the Texans. It doesn't really affect them so of course they have nothing but good things to say about him. Carlise thought so highly of the McHale coached Rockets that when faced with either resting his guys against the Lakers or the Rockets he chose the Rockets. So yeah.

Besides, the Rockets didn't hire McHale to be a good guy, they hired him to coach.

I wish him well and I'm sure he'll be alright financially and it sounds like he doesn't have many hard feelings for the organization.

18. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

Good for Mchale.

But he is just not a very good coach.

19. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

This. Disgusts me how many people are celebrating this instead of seeing that it's all on the team this time. I can't even root for this team right now, their attitude is embarassing and offends me as a fan.

20. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Great man. Terrible x&o coach.

I hope the players turn it around. It's on them.