1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Racial Hysteria Triumphs on Campus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by MojoMan, Nov 10, 2015.

1. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

Let me spell it out for you, then. And let me state that I believe all humans have an inherent level of racism in them. I think it's just our nature.

Whites in this country purchased and used slaves and thought of them as subhuman. This is the typical "I am superior" racism that is out there.

Those slaves and their descendants, who were mistreated and oppressed for hundreds of years by a white majority, REACT to the oppression by swinging towards the anti-white stance.

Both are racism, but one of them is a bit more rational (the latter).

2. TheresTheDagger

It's just a little bit more complicated than that wouldn't you say?

3. Buck Turgidson

Explain black anti-Asian/Latino racism.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

None of it is rational, in fact, you saying that only means that you are somewhat swayed by the BS that some racists tell themselves to justify their racism....which means you might have a bit of a problem yourself.

5. Baba Booey

By rational I mean that when someone is taken advantage of, oppressed and wronged, it is not unexpected to get feelings of backlash against the oppressors.

You avoid being racist by stepping above those thoughts.

6. Baba Booey

I already did.

Humans have an inherent level of racism built in.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Name a group that has never been taken advantage of, oppressed, or wronged. If people look for a reason to feel mistreated, they'll find it more often than not. I'd argue that most racists don't actually get taken advantage of, oppressed, or wronged, they either wrongly think that is the case or in some cases are basing their racism on what may or may not have happened to long past ancestors.....which is pretty stupid.

8. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

He can't. Apparently black racism is "rational", but it all falls apart right here because Asians and Latinos have never oppressed Blacks.

One racism rational but the other isn't. LOL how delusional

9. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

What is black anti-Asian/Latino racism? You meant black are anti-Asian/Latino, or anti racism against asian/latino?

Is that a significantly common behavior from black?

10. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

When I was studying in Houston, I spoke with a (white) Russian exchange student who had somehow ended up at TSU as part of an exchange program. He said that he was met with a lot of overt hostility from black students based on his race, until they realized that he was not from the USA, at which point most of them changed their tune and became friendlier.

11. Dhoward12

Dhoward12 Member

Explain it to me :confused:

12. bmd

bmd Member

These people piss me off so much.

That girl was making a great common-sense point based on her real life experience, and then the group basically shuns her because she was basically saying "judge people not by the color of their skin, but the content of their character".

She could have gotten up there and started to recite Martin Luther King's "I Have a Dream" speech and would have gotten shouted down.

All of these protests are a sham perpetuated by racist Black activists. That's all this is. This whole thing is absurd.

13. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Regardless of whether you agree with the method or message, seeing this kind of spirited political involvement by our youth should be satisfying and encouraged.

We can laugh at their naiveté for now, but if they stay engaged in the process these kids will learn and grow and become more sophisticated. Hopefully, spawning a new era of engaged progressive democracy.

We haven't seen this kind of political eruption on our campuses in a long time. It's about time.

The old get old
    And the young get stronger
    May take a week

And it may take longer
    They got the guns
    But we got the numbers
    Gonna win, yeah

We're takin' over
    Come on!
    Yeah!

14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

dude, there were far more people listening to her and defending her than otherwise.

one thing that pisses me off about this whole thing is how people are grouping everyone together and saying it's this mass collective whole. It's not. You can't assign the views of the few to the larger group.

That's kinda the whole problem with everything on both sides.

15. bmd

bmd Member

They listened to her until she said "black people can be racist too". Then she lost the crowd.

They gave her a little courtesy applause at the end after they stepped in and basically told her she was done speaking.

Even this Asian girl who isn't even from this country can see right through their bull****.

16. amaru

amaru Member

She's making the assumption that the man driving the car was African-American. All she saw was the color of his skin.

17. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

"they" stepped in? The entire crowd? It was silent for a while there. I don't think that was a case of a crowd booing someone down or not letting her speak.

She did throw them a curveball. And some people didn't like it. The key word is some. You can't condemn everyone there because a few people said, "black people can't be racist" or "prejudice + power = racism".

18. amaru

amaru Member

I get what the Asian woman was trying to say. She's saying that prejudice does exist in the African American community. There are some African Americans who feel it doesn't, but as somebody who has one foot inside the African American community and another outside of it, I can confirm that it does.

This is a larger problem I've have noticed with American in general (be they black/white /indigenous /etc.) There is this perception in the United States that black= African American. This shows a very limited understand of how diverse the global African community actually is. African-Americans are only one ethnic group out of thousands of African or African descendant ethnic groups. They are by no means the majority. I believe that this erronous perception with Black meaning African -American comes from the United States position as a very influencial country.

If I had a dollar for every time somebody, be they black, white, indian, native american or asian, called me an African American....I'd be a wealthy man.

Even on this board, some posters have had this obsession with placing the black/african american label on me despite my repeated protest.

19. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

This is a great point. I work with several people from Nigeria and Ghana and they have a completely different culture than African Americans. I greatly admire the work ethic and positive attitudes of these several people I work with.

20. amaru

amaru Member

I can attest from my own family history that there is certainly an anti-african bias among some chinese people. I have chinese family members, through my maternal lineage. Although some of these chinese people are quite friendly and all around decent, others refuse to associate with the black family members because they view them as inferior. Relations with these racist chinese family members range from lukewarm to hostile.