1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who do you guys want as the next Rockets coach

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Amel, Nov 12, 2015.

Tags:
  1. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Never ASSume something isn't possible just because you lack imagination.

2. CVcrew

CVcrew Contributing Member

Simple... Calvin. If you heard him in the post game last night, this is the guy.
    Yes I know Les would never go for it, but he's your guy! He's got so much passion for this organization and frankly he needs his shot. I think he could be your Kerr.

JVG... please say no to drugs. I almost quit watching basketball with this guy at the helm. It was by far and away the worst years as a fan. People who think watching our offense now stinks forget what it was like we had none. I'm all for defense but not by minimizing possessions and exhausting the shot clock each and every time down the court. There's a reason he was fired. Just let it go...

3. PersianRocket

PersianRocket Member

He's not a BAD coach though. The comment I originally replied to said that if you can't lead your team to a championship, you're a bad coach. By that logic, coaches like Thibs, Rivers excluding one championship, Budenholzer, and Van Gundy (who everyone here wants), are bad coaches.

4. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

Coach Murphy.

Yes. Make it so.

5. prodigy08

prodigy08 Clutchfans Lurker

I would really want to see these guys below to be our next head coach:
    -Jeff Van Gundy
    -Tom Thibodeau
    -Tom Izzo
    -Shane Battier (this guy screams defense and a heart of a champion)
    -Luke Walton (this guy knows how to utilize his players..and he is just an assistant coach right now! how cool is that?)
    -Kobe (if he decides to retire)
    -Sam Cassell

I would also love to see these guys as our assistants:
    -Shane Battier (if one of the other 3 above are signed)
    -Juwan Howard
    -Calvin Murphy
    -Mario Elie
    -Sam Cassell

6. prodigy08

prodigy08 Clutchfans Lurker

I forgot to add Ime Udoka on my head coach list!

7. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

If only his wife comes to the games.

8. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

I believe Murphy once said he wouldn't want to be a Coach because he would most likely punch someone.

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

[​IMG]

No James, you can't bang the coach.

Would trade draft pick &/or player(s) for:
    Brad Stevens
    Stan Van Gundy
    Mike Budenholzer
    Erik Spoelstra
    Rick Carlisle

Becky Hammon/Ime Udoka/Ettore Messina
    Brett Brown

10. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

I get the feeling McHale may be coaching for his job this weekend, certainly if he loses the next 2 it gets dicey for him personally.

11. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I appreciate the counter argument, but still.... you are essentially throwing in the towel in mid November? ... after the team has won 4 out of the last 5 games?

I will say this... if we get to the new year, and the Rockets are below .500 then you're essentially done in the WC. So yeah... then you should probably start thnking about next year.

If you throw in the towl now you are done in the WC. No way you can overhaul your organization like that, or simply deplete your bench of one more coach of the same damn coaching staff, and not take a step back.

The Rockets know for a fact that this team, as is, can get pretty damn close. They almost got there last year even with McHale. This year they are off to a bad start, but they still have a VERY good chance of regaining form from where they were last year... who knows... maybe as soon as next freaking week. You overhaul the organization now and there is little chance of getting where you need to get until February or March with the practice time, and time needed for trust/relationships to get where you need to get.

So I appreciate the counter argument, but I need other rational people here to preach objectivism here instead of irrational lunaticism.... if that's even a word.

We ARE getting to a point where McHale will be at risk for a mid-season firing, but we aren't there yet. (He's on the hot seat now for next year of course... Morey & Les aren't stupid and ARE noticing this believe me) But that time to make a mid season firing is not now. There is still a chance that the team gets it together very very soon. So please hold on for a bit longer guys.... and stop losing your SH*$ after every damn game. Its an 82 game season. 74 games left if you can't do the math.

12. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

We've already taken a step back. Again now is not mid season it's now. With all due respect I doubt DM would fire Kevin Mchale only to keep an assistant that would completely defeat the purpose of firing Mchale. It's kind of silly to think he would do that, we are not the rebuilding Nuggets. The coaching problems are not due to hostility between coach and players or coach and front office. You are speaking of a circumstance where something happens without warning and they fire Mchale without already having spoken to someone else first. There is no reason to not look for coaches before you fire Mchale and have a deal in place. Sometimes the arguments to keep Mchale usually end up amounting to nothing but fear mongering. "If we get rid of a bad coach all hell will break lose" sort of thing. "Who else are we gonna get?" As if Mchale is so great no one can replace him, lol. It's silly. Teams get new coaches all the time it's actually one of the more consistent things that happen in the NBA.

13. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Becky Hammon, Shane Battier, Scott Brooks, Sam Cassell, George Karl, Thibs

That's in order. I was really impressed with how San Antonio played in the summer league under Hammon.

14. chandlerbang21

Becky Hammond should coach

15. dmoneybangbang

Where are these coaches that want to step into an organization with a dark horse contender undergoing an identity/effort crisis mid season? You can "lol" but teams with the Rocket's aspirations aren't exactly a great sell mid season. Not to mention, how many good college coaches are going to leave their respective teams during their season?

I'm not ASSuming, I'm going with what I believe the odds are for the timing of acquiring a worthwhile coach with a team with big expectations.

16. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Lol Hammond :grin:

17. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

You've already been completely wrong in the Fire Mchale thread and as I can see here it spreads. Any coach would love to coach Harden and Howard, you are being beyond ridiculous. We are not going to get a college HEAD coach to leave their job (It's possible, but unlikely) I've already said that however there are plenty of choices out there. As usual you are not paying attention to what people are posting and you ignore any points that prove your assumptions false.

18. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

If Maury is such a genius, why doesn't he just become the team's coach instead of looking for puppet head coaches?

19. dobro1229

Its that easy huh? How did it work out for the Lakers when they upgraded from Mike Brown to Mike D'Antoni in November?

You are severely underrating how hard it is to completely throw out the play book (jokes about McHale's lack of "play".. yeah I get it), and start all over mid-season. That's why often the assistant coaches are kept and often they run alot of the same stuff after the head coach is fired.

Yes its usually because of personnel issues when this happens (keep the staff, fire the head), but its the only instances we see typically in mid-season changes regardless. When do title contending teams throw out their entire coaching staff mid-season for a high profile coach this early in the season? Name an instance where it worked out well? Seriously... I'm wondering how great this has worked out because I sure as F can't remember any good ones.

Also keep in mind that great coaches like JVG, Thibs, etc. are VERY VERY against mid season job offers because it puts them at a disadvantage going into a job without a Summer and training camp to prepare. If you are Thibs, why would you put yourself in that position. You are against the 8 ball from the start, and there are obvious isssues with the players as well that are contributing to the lack luster play. What a stressful position to be put in with a gun against your head. And keep in mind that most of these guys WILL NOT take the job unless they can hand pick their staff.... EVERYONE on their staff. Do you know how long that takes? Do you think a high profile coach is just gonna walk in and be able to trust someone elses' staff that is pissed off about losing their previous guy? YOU want to try and win over that room as a manager in any type of work environment?

Also they very much do not believe in interviewing for a job that is someone elses at the time as JVG is adamant about on the air. Don't think that Morey can just call up Thibs in November and say... "Hey.. if we fire McHale...." It doesn't work like that. You have to make the move now, and THEN start the interview process.

And to add to more issues.... don't forget that most high profile college coaches are contractually obligated right now during the season. You are excluding a good portion of candidates that you might want to interview for the longhaul. Again... another reason why you'd hold over an assistant for the rest of the season in order to interview seriously in the Summer.

Again... more reasons why teams almost always just stick with an assistant for the time being or hire (Mr. interim) Tyrone Corbin for the meantime.

I'm sorry. I don't want to offend, but I just don't think you guys really understand what you are making sound so freaking easy. You guys have no idea what you are talking about.

20. dobro1229

And before you guys throw out the Popovich reference, keep in mind that the team was 3 - 15 when the change was made and won only 17 more games the entire season that year. The Rockets are 4 - 4 with two healthy stars... hardly the same situation yet.

That is NOT a good reference for an early season coaching change that worked out.

Well... it worked out when he drafted Tim Duncan the next Summer of course, but he could have kept Larry Brown, fired him the next Summer and still drafted Tim Duncan. My guess is Brown was fired mostly out of respect since they knew it was going to be a rebuilding year with Robinson and Elliott hurt, and it was more of a courtesy than anything.

So what else... when has a contending NBA team changed coaches in November and went on to blow the league away?