1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Let's talk about Marcus Thornton...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by #Pursuit, Nov 4, 2015.

1. #Pursuit

#Pursuit Member

Since he did not play in the first two games, these stats are just from the game against the Heat and against the Thunder.

Marcus Thornton is shooting .467 from behind the arc (7-15) and scoring 16.5 points per game in 34 minutes per game.

While it may be from a small sample size, I think it's safe to say we found a reliable player to play off the ball, complimenting Harden or Lawson's drive and kick, and hit the threes at an above-average rate, which really works well with our Moreyball system.

Did I mention we got him for the veteran minimum?

Data per basketball-reference.com

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Fool's gold or regular gold?

3. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

He's already the best shooter we've had since Steve Novak.

4. CCorn

CCorn Member

Silver?

2 people like this.
  5. Ubigman

Ubigman Member

wonder who he will replace off the bench once dmo starts

6. Rodman23

Rodman23 .GIF

he should take brewers minutes

7. mclawson

mclawson Member

He's looked really, really good when he's been on the court and it doesn't seem to matter what the line-up is. He was an absolute steal at the vet minimum.

8. Harden2Capela

Harden2Capela Member

why didnt mchale play him

9. ceonwuka

ceonwuka Member

I feel the same way. Brewer doesn't bring enough to the table consistently to warrant the minutes he has been seeing lately.

Hopefully when DMo comes back Thornton stays in the rotation and sucks up some minutes from Brewer and Bev. I LOVE Bev but he doesn't need to be on the court with Lawson. Ever.

10. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I didn't like him early on .... but he's a good shooter and the rest of his game isn't so terrible either. Solid addition to the bench.

11. Play07

Play07 Member

add a PF who can do they same and were unstoppable

12. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

He's good. Classic example of Good player on bad teams for years. He will be this year's Delfino if not better.

13. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

He's a very underrated playmaker.

14. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

People were sleeping on him, thinking he was another Daniels...McHale though..what was his excuse? Do we know yet?

15. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

I always believed in Thornton.

Over the summer when people were posting line ups I couldn't fathom why so many were giving no minutes to Thornton.

16. eman

eman Contributing Member

I wondered, at the time, if McHale forgot Thornton was sitting there. Or maybe there was some injury we didn't know about?

17. Newlin

Newlin Member

Because they are still trying to figure out rotations and combinations. He was trying to use Harrell, Capela, and Jones for rebounding and defense. But playing Harrell with either Dwight or Capela creates poor spacing. McHale said it's going to take some time to figure out when and how to play some of the new guys because we had so many injury problems in the preseason.

I think during the third game ClutchFans were going crazy because Harrell wasn't in the game. But I think we can see now that using Thornton was the right move. Of course anything McHale does or doesn't do will get criticized around here.

18. dream2franchise

I always considered Thornton to be a guy who got buckets at the expense chemistry and efficiency.

Instead, he's a heady, crafty player who doesn't hurt us on D and actually has some nice court vision too.

Awesome pick up.

19. dmoneybangbang

He's been a journeyman and hasn't been on a team this good. I would be thrilled if by the end of the season if he was a 6th man candidate.

20. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

An unfortunate (?) injury have Thronton time or else he would gave been glued to the end f the bench by the moron McFail for god knows how long