1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chronicle - Brian T Smith] Durant courtship in Rockets' future

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deuce, Nov 4, 2015.

1. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

There was that HBO documentary on KD, following him during the summer. When he decided not to play for USA that summer Harden was the first to call him. I think KD had turned off his phone and wasn't taking calls, but took Harden's call on camera.

2. dream2franchise

Ha! I'm dying :grin:

3. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Hehehe. eeeeeeeeeee. aaaaaaaahhhhhhh. Heeeeee.

4. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Whatever he wants, give it to him. Harden will be a huge part in his recruiting.

There plenty of bigs that will be FAs next off-season if Dwight doesn't want to return for less.

5. rockets13champs

We swung for fences and got
    Dwight, harden, ariza

6. rockets13champs

And you can add ty lawson to that

7. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

plus the rockets have harrell the barrel dunk nasty supreme commander & future of the league

8. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

No, he's closer with James.

9. i3artow i3aller

10. thirdengine

thirdengine Member

Can't wait to hear how KD and Ty played AAU together just like we kept hearing about Smith and Dwight.

11. Nook

Nook Member

They have had as much/if not more success as anyone at attracting/trading for elite players.

They signed Howard.... they traded for Harden.... they traded for Lawson.... they signed Ariza.

Not sure what you want honestly.

12. Nook

Nook Member

:rolleyes: Riiight.

13. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

I was staying at the Skysuites at Aria in Vegas back in June. KD was there for a couple of days and we played with him at some of the tables (he played at the regular craps tables on the floor). We joked with him that he should come on down to Houston as soon as he gets a chance and he just laughed it off and was saying the politically correct stuff "just want to win a Championship for OC, focusing on getting back into shape, never know what the future holds, etc.)

A day or two later, James Harden showed up and was hanging with KD the whole weekend. We ran into both of them a couple of times and we kept reminding him to come on down to Houston and that Harden needed to put on the charm. Harden just laughed at us and said "Why do you think I'm out here in Vegas with him....I'm trying to convince him that the humidity isn't that bad!"

They are certainly friends.

14. i3artow i3aller

15. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Name another time this has happened besides with LeBron........

I know you're answer..... So, how do you know?

16. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

What is Whiteside's situation in Miami?

How realistic, cap-wise, would Durant-Harden-Whiteside be, if Dwight opts out? We keep Bev and let Ty go? Who else can we keep?

17. awc713

awc713 Member

Smith is a goon. Terrible reporter.

18. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

Financially, it'd make the most sense for Durant to sign a 1+1 deal, then be up for the 10-year veteran max contract. I see him re-upping in OKC, and then joining Russ in free agency in 2017.

However, if Morey thinks we have a legitimate shot at Durant, it'll be interesting to see what he does with Lawson. Lawson's deal becomes guaranteed for 2016 during the 2016 draft. If Morey waives Lawson, the only teams who can pick him up are those with enough 2015-16 cap space (Philly and Portland).

If we waive Lawson and re-sign him at a lower cap figure for 2016 (with the assurance that we would reward him for his loyalty in 2017), it gives us a TON of options for 2016 FA.

Will Morey actually take that risk, though?

19. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

I thought moneyball was all about finding undervalued players and going after them not pursuing all-stars like Melo, Durant, etc... Based on the moneyball philosophy, two all-stars should be more than enough. Looks like moneyball and analytics are just smoke screens to make it seem like the Rockets are on the cutting edge. When in reality they are just doing what everyone else is doing: trying to accumulate as much elite talent as possible.

20. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I think Morey is working with James on Durant's availability. I think Morey knows Durant is interested, but wants to wait until the off season to really think things through. By the time we have to decide on TY, i think Morey will know if Durant is coming or not, or at least if it's worth the risk.