1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2016 Draft: QB Progress Watch

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Honey Bear, Oct 9, 2015.

1. Nimo

Nimo Member

Cleveland and possibly Buffalo and the Jets.

2. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Except Cardale keeps winning.

3. ballplayer

ballplayer Contributing Member

My Top Texans QB wishlist would order like so.
    1.Goff(draft and sit for a year until O-line gets better)
    2.Brissett( After game today I think his game would translate well to the NFL) Reminds me of Big Ben, Daunte Culpepper type.
    3.Lynch
    4.Cook
    5.Trevone Boykin(Make it work Bill!!!)

4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I hope we extend BOB and draft Hackenburg

5. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

KC also needs a QB, and if Detroit falls into the top pick, who's to say they don't shop the pick which would be costly if the Texans were interested.

Most of these teams who we think need QBs are pretty locked in with their guys contract wise, but the league is slowly becoming more trade happy with each passing offseason.

6. Nimo

Nimo Member

This is all great conversation but we all know the Texans are picking defense in the 1st 3 rounds. Then maybe an LSU backup RB

7. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Good thing it was opposites day when you posted this or I would have quit.

8. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

None of the potential draftees looks solid, all have major issues. I don't want play the draft lottery and draft a college QB. I'd rather gamble and try to find an existing diamond in the rough current backup. Both a gamble but the latter is much less costly if it doesn't work out. Also, look at the Texans history, we've only ever had one good QB and that's exactly how we got him.

As for potential candidates, I mentioned Ryan Nassib earlier in other threads. Eli's going nowhere and this dude wants to start. He was highly touted coming out but fell to the 4th round when Giants traded up to select him. He's been good in two preseasons but hasn't played much during regular season because Eli's been really durable. Good enough, many NY fans and media wanted Eli to walk since he'll be 35 and would be too expensive. But now that Eli signed, maybe a high 3rd would be enough and would be much less of a gamble than a Smith/BOB potential 3rd round draftee. He's the same age as Savage, I'd trade for him and let these two battle it out next year.

This is a much better proposition than drafting and developing a QB especially with our draft record. Plus we could have a quick, competitive reset if Nassib is the real deal. That fact that he's played and done it against other NFL'ers makes me more confident that he could be. Lose a 3rd rounder or draft another in the long line of QB busts that litter the NFL. What would you do?

9. Nimo

Nimo Member

The Texans are now 10th in draft order. Of the top 9 teams; Cleveland, San Francisco, and Chicago, might be looking for a QB. This doesn't include any of the other teams trading up. Texans might be stuck with Hackenberg if they go QB in the first round.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/11...der-49ers-lions-titans-browns-ravens-chargers
    1. Detroit Lions: 1-7 (.551 strength of schedule)
    2. Tennessee Titans: 1-6 (.475 SOS)
    3. Baltimore Ravens: 2-6 (.521 SOS - 1-2 division record)
    4. Cleveland Browns: 2-6 (521 SOS - 1-0 division record)
    5. San Diego Chargers: 2-6 (.525 SOS)
    6. San Francisco 49ers: 2-6 (.549 SOS)
    7. Jacksonville Jaguars: 2-5 (.437 SOS)
    8. Chicago Bears: 2-5 (.521 SOS)
    9. Dallas Cowboys: 2-5 (.542 SOS)
    10. Houston Texans: 3-5 (.483 SOS)
    11. Kansas City Chiefs: 3-5 ( (.513 SOS)
    12. Miami Dolphins: 3-4 (.457 SOS)
    13. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: 3-4 (.458 SOS)
    14. Philadelphia Eagles: 3-4 (.496 SOS - 2-4 conference record)
    15. Washington: 3-4 (.496 SOS - 3-2 conference record)
    16. Buffalo Bills: 3-4 (.513 SOS)
    17. New Orleans Saints: 4-4 (.450 SOS)
    18. Seattle Seahawks: 4-4 (.488 SOS)
    19. Pittsburgh Steelers: 4-4 (.529 SOS)
    20. St. Louis Rams: 4-3 (.484 SOS)

10. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I don't see a whole lot of point putting too much thought into this now. At this point two years ago Bridgewater, Mariota, Manziel, and Hundley were all supposed to be high-mid first rounders. Two stayed in school and the other two barely slipped into the first round. And the QB who went first in that draft was maybe considered a 3rd rounder at that point. There were other QB needy teams in that draft that didn't use high picks on a QB.

Things change. The draft order changes. Players stay in school. The evaluations of these players change once scouts actually start looking at them.

It's fun to think about, but I'm not going to put in any extra effort worrying about it right now.

11. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

This has been the Texan's philosophy since Carr and it hasn't exactly worked out that great. Sure there are a ton of QB busts but all of the top current QBs were drafted by their respected teams rather than picked up through FA or trades.

Which current starting QBs were "existing diamond in the rough backups" acquired from another team?

12. Nimo

Nimo Member

Doesn't mean much but it's fun to think about and I'm not worried. Just like prospect rankings and mock drafts. Some websites have 3 rounds of the draft mocked already.

13. ipaman

It worked with Schaub and failed with Mallet. That's 50% odds, way better than any draft pick we've ever had. Also for every top current QB that was drafted by their current team, there twice as many crappy current QBs drafted by their current team. Regarding Fitzy, he was a success but he was old and not a recent draftee. Same can be said for Hoyer. I'm not suggesting we look for a journeyman on someone's bench. I want a highly touted recent drafted QB stuck behind an A-lister QB who's hungry to start. i.e., Ryan Nassib.

A better question, how many crappy QBs were drafted and either still on their bad team or has been released after being drafted by their team? Start with the Browns for some good data.

I'm telling you, drafting a QB is basically like playing russian roulette. All I'm saying is instead of playing russian roulette and potentially wasting a 1st or 2rd rounder, let's wager a 4th or 3rd rounder. Chances are the same each QB would be just as good or just as bad but wasting a 3rd won't decimate a franchise like wasting a 1st can. Bonus, we're already used to wasting 3rd'ers.

#193 ipaman, Nov 2, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
  14. Nimo

Nimo Member

Yeah. The list of drafted QB busts is just as long as the list of traded/FA busts. Teams just use drafts more.

15. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I would add Fitzpatrick and Hoyer to the list as well. Wouldn't say they were/are failures but think we can agree they are not franchise QBs. Not sure if you are differentiating backups with journeymen but they are the same IMO unless you are only looking at young highly touted backups which limits the pool quite a bit.

Yes drafting a QB is like playing russian roulette, but so is drafting any player in the draft, it's the nature of the draft regardless of position. It's understandable if you aren't sold on any of the QB prospects in a draft, but the philosophy of not ever drafting a QB and looking for that diamond in the rough hasn't worked out well for any team historically.

In all honesty, I'm trying to think of an instance of where a team has traded for or signed their franchise QB (outside of Brees). Can't really think of any.

16. Cannonball

Schaub was brought in to be a long term starter. Fitz, Mallett, and Hoyer were brought in to simply fill the void. There's a difference. Yeah, there might have been some hope in Mallett, but it was only hope. He was never assumed to be a long term solution. I don't think that necessarily says anything about the Texans philosophy.

True. While there are a lot of misses in the draft, it's not like getting somebody elses backup is a proven solution. Of the current stable starting QBs (meaning not stop-gap like Hoyer), who has been some other teams backup?

I can't think of any. Tyrod Taylor might be the closest example but I don't know if he's considered "stable". Guys like Hoyer, Fitz, and McCown are stop gaps. Carson Palmer, Alex Smith, Brees, Peyton, Bradford, and Foles were starters on other teams before starting for their current teams. And everybody else is with their original team.

That's actually not true. The chances are much better of getting a starting QB the higher you are in the draft. I made a thread on this a couple of years ago.

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=249124

Basically, other than Russell Wilson, the best QB to come out of the 3rd round in the last 15 years was Matt Schaub. In that same time frame, nobody worth building a team around has come out of the 4th round. Or the 5th. Brady is the lone notable exception in the 6th.

Fact is, that while the odds still aren't great and there are a lot of busts, most starters come out of the 1st or 2nd round. Manning (both), Rodgers, Brees, Rivers, Ryan, Luck, Roethlisberger, Palmer, Flacco, Stafford, Dalton, Smith, Tannehill, Bradford, Kaepernick, and Cutler. And of course most of the 1st and 2nd years players (Bortles, Bridgewater, Carr, Mariota, Winston) were also 1st or 2nd rounders. The biggest exceptions are Brady, Wilson, and Romo. The starters who were drafted in the mid-late rounds are just journeymen like Hoyer, Fitz, and McCown.

17. ipaman

You could look at Tyrod Taylor this season. Drafted by Ravens but starring for Bills until he got hurt.

Also, let's not forget Rothlesburger, Warner, Farve, and Brady were backups who only got a chance due to injuries. Young and Rodgers are perfect examples of amazing backups who had to wait forever to play. Even older examples like Hostetler and Bradshaw. More recently, Cousins and Foles.

What if a guy like Ryan Nassib (a recent highly touted draftee, not a journeyman) is a Rodgers or Young being blocked by an entrenched QB legend? Would it be worth a 3rd to try and find out. Or do you want to spend a 1st on a guy like Hackenburg LOL!!!

#197 ipaman, Nov 2, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
  18. Cannonball

Roethlisberger, Young, and Rodgers were not drafted to be backups. Roethlisberger was drafted to be a starter sooner rather than later. They just did the "let's develop the kid" routine and he played earlier than planned. But he was never going to be a "backup" in the sense that he was going to sit, stuck behind a guy for years never getting the opportunity. You don't spend the 11th overall pick on a guy just to sit him behind Charlie Batch and Tommy Maddox. Steve Young was a starter for Tampa Bay before he went to the 9ers. Rodgers was always intended to be Favre's successor. Favre was 36 when Rodgers was drafted. And when Favre wouldn't retire and they had to choose between the two, they went with Rodgers. So yes, Rodgers was a backup for 3 years. But he wasn't a backup you could've traded for. His future was always in Green Bay.

Was Nassib really highly touted? He was a 4th round pick and the 5th QB taken in a really weak QB draft. I get people talking about Garoppolo, but Nassib?

Look, it's possible, just not likely. People love to bring up Brady, but Brady is the needle in the haystack. The needle might be in there, somewhere, but your chances of finding it are pretty slim.

19. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

You guys realize that Favre is the POSTER BOY for this type of QB situation, right? Drafted by Altanta, traded to Green Bay, won a superbowl and became a hall-of-famer.

It has worked at least once before...

20. Nimo

Nimo Member

Joe Montana
    Drew Brees
    Brett Favre
    Kurt Warner
    Peyton Manning
    Rich Gannon
    Carson Palmer
    Rich Gannon