1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Has McHale lost the Team & is he the right person to coach them to the next level?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crash5179, Nov 2, 2015.

?

Is Kevin McHale the right man to coach the team to the next level

1. No. He has lost the team

28 vote(s)
    36.8%
  2. No. He has not lost the team but he still isn't the right coach

35 vote(s)
    46.1%
  3. Yes. He has lost the team but he will get them back and win a championship

2 vote(s)
    2.6%
  4. Yes. He has not lost the team. It's only 3 games!

11 vote(s)
    14.5%
  1. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

It's only 3 games into the season but has Kevin McHale lost this team?

Losing the team doesn't necessarily mean a team no longer wants to play for the coach. Sometimes it just means they no longer hear his message or take his words seriously or the team just does what it wants regardless of the coaches instructions.

I think the players like Kevin McHale and I think they enjoy playing for him. But are his words and instructions being heard? Are the players ignoring Kevin and running the team into the ground?

This is not meant to be a thread about what type of coach Kevin McHale is. The team has been competitive, finished above .500 and gotten better each season he has been the coach. Even in a season where his best players were Kyle Lowry and Luis Scola the team finished above .500 and barely missed the play-offs. 4 straight years of improvement, 3 straight years of play-offs, 1 Southwest Division Title and 1 Western Conference Finals, regardless of roster is proof enough for me that Kevin McHale knows something about basketball.

So my question is, has his message gone deaf on the players ears. Are the players listening to him and following his instructions or are they just mindlessly nodding their head yes when he talks without hearing a word he says? It happens to a lot of really good coaches. It happened to Avery Johnson in Dallas after they won the Western Conference. The team just tuned him out. Usually it happens to very intense coaches not players coaches.

So I have two questions?

1. Has Kevin McHale lost this team (Has the team tuned him out)?
    2. Is Kevin McHale the right coach to take this team to the next level?

Answering no to either question isn't an indictment of Kevin as a coach. Don Chaney won coach of the year and was replaced by Rudy T because Don just wasn't the right coach to take the team to the next level. That discussion lived with Bill Fitch the whole time he coached the Rockets. Many thought he was the perfect coach to bring in for Ralph and Akeem because of his drill sergeant type of coaching but many also thought he would not be the right man to lead them to a Championship because he was too rigid.

2. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

Not sure he's lost the team yet, but he sure isn't doing anything a good head coach would right now. There's a better coaching option on our bench in JET and plenty of high IQ guys available that could do a really good job (college guys, Nash, Billups, etc). McHale needs to go and it's been quite apparent for awhile if you watch this team when they struggle.

3. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

1. Yes
    2. Never ever

He literally brings nothing out there besides "play hard" "play harder" "play hardest" "clap clap" FFS he can't call a timeout when needed. His rotations are all over the place. Guys get hot and he pulls them to have a seat on the bench while Harden can brick away all night long. He holds no players accountable and that is the reason players "love" to play for him. They can do whatever the **** they want and they know they can get away with it.

4. crash5179

To be truthful I've defended McHale as a good coach for a long time now. I still fill he is a good coach much like Mark Jackson was a good coach in Golden State for a few seasons. That Golden State team under Jackson was good and competed hard but once Steve Kerr took over they went straight to a whole other level.

That Golden State team plays 48 minutes unlike the Rockets teams which usually find a quarter of so to coast during games. Steve Kerr has them playing exceptionally disciplined which is something McHale teams have never been known for. The Rockets and Warriors play similar systems with similar philosophies but the Warriors are much more disciplined than the Rockets and have become much more effective. I do think much if not most of that is coaching.

5. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

This is the exact same line of thinking I (I'm assuming with a ton of others) have. Golden State is a clear example, hell, we even play a similar style in terms of what shots we take.

6. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I'd love to see this Rockets roster run Adleman's offense .... and Van Grumpy's defense.

Make it happen Muray.

7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Didn't Adelman retire for health reasons?

8. Jontro

Jontro Member

I voted championship just cus Murica!

9. smileandnod

smileandnod Member

The team isn't ready to play. That is Kevin fault. If they lose to okc tonight the locker room might start falling apart.

10. crash5179

How can they beat OKC? They way the Rockets have started the season I can't even fathom a scenario in which they win the game. :(

11. OpenLayup-Why3?

They were up 20 vs Heat.

12. crash5179

and they were outscored by 40 in the 2nd half.

How in the world is this team going to beat OKC which is a superior team compared to the Heat. Not better, superior.

By the way, one of the major deficiencies with this team is their inability to play with intensity for 48 minutes. Last time I checked a basketball game is 48 minutes.

13. ibm

ibm Member

as average fans and w/o inside info., there's no way to tell if he has lost the players already or not. but i dont feel he's a championship level coach to begin with. but i am not a sponsor of the firing mchale band either. he's ok and has been doing just fine. until we have a realistic chance of getting someone significantly better, its ok to have him in the hc chair imo. plus, les probably in no hurry to fire anyone...

14. Newlin

Newlin Member

We had those coaches and ClutchFans wanted them fired. ClutchFans.:rolleyes:

15. Rocketsmanhk

Rocketsmanhk Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/dwhaW2nVVcg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I miss Rick.

16. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

It's not the coach causing this terrible start to the season. This one is on the players (particularly Harden) I'm sorry, but Harden's shooting and shot selection have been terrible in the first 3 games (FG 38%). Ariza 25% FG, Lawson 28% FG The guys are getting out hustled to loose balls. Playing bad defense. Giving up LAYUPS over and over. Offense boards. Teams are getting whatever they want to. Lawson is unsure out there. It will just take some time for them to figure it out since they did not have a lot of time together in camp. It's a process. Right not it is just plan ugly. When your shooting is off you need to do something else, like make a effort on defense.

Golden state is a much better shooting team than we are. So they make the system look a lot better. Curry, Thompson, Green can all handle it, pass it and shoot it very well. They have a rhythm together that our guys dont (right now anyway). So Kerr has helped, but that's more about the players.

17. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Mchale should've been fired last year. I wish he didn't get along with management like Jackson.

The Warriors have talent spread out on their team similar to the rockets. Granted they have much better shooting, but I believe we should be better inside and defensively as a team.

Golden state was just another team like us until they got a new coach. Their new coach took them to a completely new level.

It's a shame if we keep Mchale because this team as currently constructed has 0 chance of winning a ring with him as head coach.

18. SemisolidSnake

Where's the the option for "He never had the team in the first place"?

I'm choosing that one. Regardless of how far they got last year, they've never had consistent chemistry, nor have they solved the issue of free throws and turnovers. I don't think his players respect him. They may like him because he's easy on them or whatever, but I don't see the spark of "I want to do better" or "I'd better do better or I'm sitting." That's why every Rockets game is a mystery waiting to be unraveled.

19. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

He never had the team to begin with to lose it. It was always Harden team with how Harden can do whatever he want without consequences.

And for that, he's was never the right Coach once Harden arrived in HOU.

20. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

It ain't just Rick, that's just a video of guys making shots. Right now, we have 3 of our main guys shooting under 40% and they are taking a lot of the shots. They missing open looks. That's not coaching, that's SHOOTING.