1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bring Ty Lawson off the bench.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Two Sandwiches, Oct 30, 2015.

1. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I must have missed them due to disinterest/nonbelief.

2. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I think you either need to bring Dmo or Ty off the bench and I think Ty makes the most sense (with as bad as Jones has been you can't risk him starting anymore). You gotta have someone off the bench you can give a scoring punch. That shouldn't have to be Montrezl. I think Harden needs to get it going on his own to start the game, then bring in Ty once Harden has settled down.

1 person likes this.
  3. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Exactly.

What I'm saying is that, for now - say for the first 10 games - you bring Lawson off the bench. Give him and Harden about ten minutes together. Give Harden a feel for playing off the ball for just a bit of the game. Let him warm up to it.

The added benefit of that is that you give Lawson a chance to play more with guys like Harrell and Capela, which will allow Lawson to be Lawson, while growing confidence in these young, athletic guys. It'll give them easy looks. It'll probably also let them patrol the paint a bit more due to Lawson allowing some drives.

It's a win - win. But Young Frankenstein there on the bench will never realize it.

4. Karolik

Karolik Member

no way Ty is coming off the bench, he came to Houston because it is his contract year, he'll check out if he's put on the bench

5. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I'd be okay bringing Harden off the bench at this point. Something's gotta give. We look terrible. We look tired. We're out of sync. We look like we've been partying instead of practicing. This is the worst I've seen this team since James showed up in Houston.

6. Mr. Space City

i thought lawson was supposed to be a massive upgrade at the pg position?

clutchfans told me we were just a point guard away from being contenders?

i thought a point guard was supposed to solve all over our problems?

7. ilovehtownbb

ilovehtownbb Member

ty is fine,hes gotta stop thinking,just play ball, he should never hesitated on the 3 pt shot, we brought him here to shoot 3s and penetrate.

8. OTMax

OTMax Member

Ty is not the problem, since we already have to adjust a lot, it is just weird that we would not start with Beverley and Harden. Give the team at least some familiarity and Ty some time to adjust..

9. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Lawson was supposed to make our offense dynamic and make the scoring easier for Harden, but we haven't seen any chemistry between the two at all. I don't understand it.

10. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Technically its not his contract year. If Houston decides not to guarantee his contract next summer then this becomes a contract year. If he plays up to his potential, Houston will guarantee next seasons salary and the that season will be his contract year. Additionally, he came to Houston because Houston was the team that offered Denver the most.

11. Man

Man Contributing Member

I agree with OP, Ty can create and clearly tries at times to go in and look for some opportunities. We have 4 guys standing there and watching, and then it reverts to Lawson looking for a bail-out pass, easily read by the entire defensive group since the offensive players just stand there super predictably (Cuban). So all you have to do is defend the one guy trying to get open to get the pass.

Lawson is undersized as well so it's hurtful defensively and for rebounding purposes.

We need more creators, so DMo will help, but this offense just isn't working. McHale looks the same as usual. Here it comes... "too stagnant, need more energy, ball was sticky"... and of course, need to make shots...

You can see Harrell getting some offensive impact because he actually moves and tries to be assertive. We have a bunch of wings who can't dribble or create.... and we have a shooting guard who stands there... and a starting Center whose offensive skills continue to regress?

12. Anton

Anton New Member

I completely disagree. Scapegoating the wrong guy.

13. d12babymamas

d12babymamas Member

Time to bump this. Ty's obviously stuggling getting into the flow of the offense. If you're starting PG takes 3 shots in 37 minutes, that might be a good time to sit down and analyze things Mchale.

14. HayesIsBack

HayesIsBack Member

Well, I was told Spurs got LaMarcus, Clippers got a bench, OKC got healthy, and we got Lawson. That's why we were favorites to be 2nd seed again.

15. Panda23

Panda23 Member

JJ watt is a worldwide superstar

16. kevtse

kevtse Member

lawson is soft! zero hustle! We lose many rebounds because of him....i would rather put him in the dog house. Not even off the bench!

17. Lorenzomax

Lorenzomax Rookie

Jeremy Lin says hi!

18. Lorenzomax

Lorenzomax Rookie

I guess Milk Hair would do it again just like last season: Start Motie/Jones, bench J-Smoove.

19. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I've been saying this to my friends. He doesn't fit in the offense with Harden yet. When he drives and kicks more than 50% of the time that is a turnover or unsuccessful play. He is a zero on defense. We play better without him. For now let him cut his teeth with more of the ball in his hands with the bench players.

20. yoeddy

yoeddy Contributing Member

This all sounds very familiar...